BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Methanol Recovery    How much total meth can be recovered?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much total meth can be recovered?
 Login/Join

posted
Let's say I do a biodiesel batch and don't use any water at all. I seperate the glycerine byproduct and biodiesel and distil them seperately. What percentage of methanol can I expect to recover?
Thanks for the info.

walk softly, leave a small footprint and a big impression

Location: southwest | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found the answer. It is possible to recover about half the methanol.
Thanks, mcguyver.

walk softly, leave a small footprint and a big impression

Location: southwest | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Around half is a bit approximate. It depends on how much methanol you start with, the feedstock and titration etc. With the oil must of us use, about 12% of the original oil volume will be consumed by the reaction. The excess methanol will be available for recovery.

For example, consider 100 litres of oil with 22 litres (22%) methanol used in the reaction.

The reaction will consume around 12%, or 12 litres. Therefore the quantity available for recovery is 10 litres.

Of course this only applies if you get full conversion. If your reaction fails 3/27 there will be more methanol available for recovery.

posted Hide Post
sooooooooooo about half

95' Ford 7.3 Reg cab.

Location: Philly, Pa | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post