Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home
Should I be mixing the glycerine while distilling?

This topic can be found at:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/4441089311/m/1227044173

May 15, 2013, 12:14 PM
NILL
Should I be mixing the glycerine while distilling?
Should I be mixing the glycerine while I heat it for distillation? I've used my water wash/dry tank previously to remove glycerine for soap making and got some smoke out while doing so. Now i want to make a system just for distilling and I'm not sure if I should be mixing or circulating some how while doing to.

I've made a test system once with a venturi to pull air in while circulating, but it bubbled and I got glycerine out the condensing coil. Would a more gental injection of air help, or should I just forgo that?

I would like to use the vacuum method, but I have a spare tank built with two 55 gallon drums and would like to use that first rather then buy a propane tank.
May 15, 2013, 09:10 PM
Legal Eagle
I would say that that depends on the volume you are distilling. I only do 30L or so at a time so don`t worry about circulation but if I was to double that I would want to circulate the glyc.

HTH

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

May 16, 2013, 12:15 AM
NILL
How would be a good way to mix? Just use a pump to circulate or using a mixing propeller? Can the Harbor Freight or Norther Tool pumps handle the increased heat and viscosity?
May 16, 2013, 10:28 AM
Ryan P.
quote:
Originally posted by NILL:
How would be a good way to mix? Just use a pump to circulate or using a mixing propeller? Can the Harbor Freight or Norther Tool pumps handle the increased heat and viscosity?

I use the HF pump, it will handle the viscosity as long as you empty the still while it still hot. Once it cools, you are screwed. NEVER let it cool in the still.

On the opposite side, the HF pump will not handle the heat for very long. My still hits 200F to keep the head temp at 145F. I burn out the seals in the pump head every year, and I only distill my accumulated glycerine from about June to Aug. So I am going away from that pump for one rated for the temp...if I can find one that is affordable.

A propeller would be good, but my heater is inline and running on 220V, so I need the pump moving fluid over it constantly to prevent overheating and burning out.
May 16, 2013, 08:59 PM
NILL
I think I'll opt for propeller for this system. I want to use hydronic heating, but for now I have to much glycerine that I need to de-meth before composting.

What's the name of the type of bearing that would let me gain a air tight seal on the propeller shaft?