BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Politics    Food versus fuel

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Food versus fuel
 Login/Join

posted
I was talking to an older smart man last night. I brought up the subject of government using biodiesel to replace some petroleum derived imported diesel fuel. Almost immediately he said "there's not enough of it." So follows the food or fuel debate, I suppose. Anyone have any simple thoughts on it? What about a country that spends billions on military but won't buy enough food to feed its own people. Not much biodiesel there unless the military gets it. Acorns usually aren't food for people but biodiesel can be made from them. Maybe it is an old subject, but I think it is becoming increasingly important. Thanks

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Water is the limiting factor in most cases regardless of the feedstock crop. Third world governments will use irrigated land to grow biodiesel feedstock for export, and then use the revenue generated to purchase military equipment. Peasants are forced off the land into unsustainable cities, and large multinational corporations use industrial agriculture to grow biodiesel feedstock crops for lucrative export to an energy hungry world.

One solution is to grow biodiesel feedstock crops using sewage effluent and marginal land, thus solving many problems at once.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi,
I absolutely agree on the military stuff, which is just insane. But I am still concerned about the issue "food versus" fuel, which is about available land, water and other natural resources. And I think there are feedstock that can be grown and used for biodiesel that doesn't compete with food. I have recently put up a site that will cover these aspects. www.best-alternative-fuel-sources.com
I don't think corn is a good biofuel source of different reasons, there are better sources.
Cheers Anna

Location: Cairns, Australia. | Registered: September 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post