BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  Biodiesel Politics    Health Care: How would you do it?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Health Care: How would you do it?
 Login/Join

posted
OK, I am so sick to death (no pun intended) of all the arguments back and forth, and more and more what I see as the "bottom line" is that nobody knows what the right solution is. Its a global issue for sure, but from a USA perspective, ObamaCare is hated. Whatever was being done is Greece wasn't working: the whole contry went broke. Other EU countries are making big cuts to their systems to remain solvent. But what's the right idea?

This forum is full of a wide selection of very intelligent and informed people (in my experience and opinion), so my proposal is: What would YOU do?

Here's my thought:
From my USA background: Turn the states loose, pull the Fed out of every aspect of Health Care for a period of 5 years. Let each state set up their own system. That's 50 experimental techniques running at the same time toward a solution, more if you count territories. Some states are headed by Republican leadership, some by Democratic. Some states have large budgets, some small. Some have large populations, some small. The point is there would be a huge selection of variables that the proposed plans could be compared against.

In 5 years, evaluate each program:
Which are fiscally broke, break even, or even profitable?
Did big budget techniques work better than small, or was there a true cost-effective technique?
Which had the greatest citizen satisfaction? Immigration and emigration across state lines is usually the best measure of this.
Is there a regional effect? Its a big country: somehow I doubt the same solution that works in Florida is going to work in Arizona is going to work in North Dakota.

Then, just trim the crap: tell those states that made a program that lost money, that the citizens hated, that worked but cost too much; that their program sucks and make them choose between those that worked.

This is a hot topic, but so is Anthropomorphic Global Warming, and the thread on that maintained a mostly civil atmosphere and came to a clear and supported conclusion after a while.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be careful what you wish for! here in Canada the Provincial gts have a fair bit of control over heath care and most of the funding comes from the Cdn gvt. If you where to be diagnosed with cancer, your best chance for servival would be if you live in British Columbia. Here in Manitoba if you require an mri it will take up to 5 months for an appointment. I know, I'm waiting, it really sucks I havn't worked since an auto accident on July 28. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tom is correct, the quality of health care can vary from province to province. Canada sets national standards, it's up to the provinces to determine how those standards are met. Those who want to can buy additional private health insurance for quicker service in private clinics. From my experience the worst health care in Canada is better than most health care in America for the average person who is not affluent.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Those who want to can buy additional private health insurance for quicker service in private clinics.

-In some provences, but not here in Manitoba we have a ban on private for profit clinics,health care is touted as universal, but more universal in some provences. thats the problem I see in allowing each state to invent it's own healthcare system. IMO our system could be greatly improved if the federal govt who sets the standards where responsible for the health care delivery. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The private clinics don't have to be in Canada for the extra insurance to cover it. It depends on the policy. I've never had the need since my Cdn health care has always been more than adequate. I'm required to carry Workers Comp. insurance which moves me to the head of the line if I get injured on the job, and since I'm self employed it covers almost all injuries. Judging by how the federal govt. manages to really screw up anything they get their nose into, I prefer provincially delivered health care.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post