BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Fuel Tank Vent Moisture Entry Prevention

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fuel Tank Vent Moisture Entry Prevention
 Login/Join

posted
So I'm familiar with drying fuel as much as possible before putting it in the onboard tank as a preventative measure for keeping moisture out of the fuel system. But after some reading of past archival posts on the forums I've discovered that in humid environments ambient moisture as well as particulate contamination can enter fuel tanks through the tank vent.

So I've been researching fuel tank vent breathers + desiccants. I found several tank vent breathers out there that have the little desiccant balls that you must replace relatively often, but after some more stumbled digging upon this Donaldson part:
quote:
T.R.A.P. breathers strip moisture vapor from intake air and releases the moisture back to the atmosphere on the outflow cycle. The filter continuously regenerates its water holding capacity. T.R.A.P. breathers expel the moisture back out, eliminating the need to change the breather due to water saturation ... unlike desiccant filters that require frequent change-out. T.R.A.P. breathers not only protect against moisture but also provide advanced particulate filtration.

http://www.donaldsonoemfiltrat...ents/pdfs/057150.pdf
https://www.donaldson.com/en/e...s/trap-breather.html

I'm in a very humid environment, am I just being overly cautious by worrying about this?

Has anyone tried one of these breathers on their tank vent?

Are there any other comparable parts out there that have been tried by the community?

Thanks for any constructive input.

Question:
Tank Vent Breathers + Dryers?

Choices:
Tried it; it works.
Haven't tried it; looks interesting.
It's a gimmick; you're paranoid.
Tried it; it's a waste.

Location: wander | Registered: May 28, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
◙ None of the above

quote:
... in a very humid environment, am I just being overly cautious by worrying about this?

No, it's a valid concern. I'm in a dry climate so I don't have the need for one.
Given that it's a Donaldson product I expect it will work exactly as claimed.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
I'm in a dry climate so I don't have the need for one.

You may not need a drying element for your fuel tank, but dry environments do tend to be dusty. Have you thought about using a basic particulate filter like a crankcase filter breather on your tank vent?

Location: wander | Registered: May 28, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's the way Toyota designed the fuel tank vent; no change was needed.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post