BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Cummins 4BT powered F-150
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cummins 4BT powered F-150
 Login/Join

posted
The 3.9L/4BT Cummins is an engine in the same family as the 5.9 litres (360.0 cu in) Cummins turbodiesels. The 3.9L/4B is an inline four cylinder turbodiesel that was popular for many step van applications, including bread vans and other commercial vehicles. This engine is also used in various industrial, construction and agricultural applications. With a cylinder bore of 4.02 inches (102.1 mm) and a piston stroke of 4.72 inches (119.9 mm), the engine had a wet weight of 745 pounds (338 kg). In recent years it produced 130 horsepower (97 kW; 132 PS) and 355 foot-pounds force (481 N·m) of torque. The 4BT today is also popular as a conversion engine among many light-duty pickup trucks that were originally equipped with gasoline engines. This is due to its high fuel efficiency while producing power comparable to the original light-duty gasoline engine. The 4BT engines have the same pistons, connecting rods, valvetrain components, and injectors as their 6BT counterparts.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cummins_B_Series_engine

Cummins powered F-150
http://www.cumminsforum.com/fo...powered-93-f150.html
http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10783

The 4BT Cummins powered F-150 is the sort of practical vehicle a lot of people want in a 1/2 ton diesel pick-up. Ford missed a good opportunity to build a truck that would be compatible with B100 or SVO.

quote:
But an F-150 w/ a Cummins in it...man that'd be sweet!

Apparently a number of people have successfully done the 4BT conversion with a minimum amount of hassle and expense, using the excellent 5 speed manual tranny in the F-150. It's a shame Ford never rose to the opportunity.

The 4BT in a Bronco should be an excellent truck. I once had 6.6L V8 Broncos, good trucks but a diesel with 2x the MPG would have been lots better. I replaced them with a Landcruiser 3.4 turbo diesel, and it does 90% of what the Bronco did, and some things better, at double or better MPG.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: john galt,

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post

Man that'd be sweet!

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I had a friend that stuck a 4BT in an older Land Cruiser as well.
Man that was a neat ride! He had to raise the frame up on it, but it ran great!

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More

posted Hide Post
This is the type of stuff I do in the winter. I was going to put the 4BT in an F150. I acquired two 4BTs but since I already have a 6BT in a Ford, I decided to go with the Isuzu 4BD2-T and its auto trans that are in an Isuzu NPR delivery truck. All this into a 97 F150 regular cab, short box, two wheel drive. I'm working on it right now. I bet it will get thirty miles to the gallon.

1992 F350 w/Cummins
2004 F250 w/Edge Platinum
both on B100

Location: Webb, MS | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
bradyracing,
When you get a chance, I'd love to see some pictures of that thing.
Man, what a combination!

posted Hide Post
I will do that. I have tons of pictures of projects I'm working on and more train derailments and stuff like that that I need to post to my webshots site. I just need to take the time. For those who don't know, 4btswaps dot com is a site where people are putting all kinds of engines into all kinds of vehicles.

1992 F350 w/Cummins
both on B100

Location: Webb, MS | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Do the Dodge engines mate easily to Ford transmissions? I imagine there has to at least be an adapter plate there. That's often the worst part of that kind of a swap.

quote:
Originally posted by bradyracing:
This is the type of stuff I do in the winter.

It's a hobby of mine, too, but I still admit that I play on the gasser side of things too. If you're interested, here's a twin-turbo BMW V12 that I put in my Shelby Cobra replica last year, after blowing the Ford V8 originally under the bonnet:
http://www.ffcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=228016

Short summary of the latest tune: 600+ horsepower, 700+ lb-ft of torque, 2200 pounds wet. Good times, and still turns in around 24mpg at a 75mph highway cruising speed.

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
quote:
a twin-turbo BMW V12 that I put in my Shelby Cobra replica

Absolutely beautiful. Some of the best toys in the world have turbo V-12 engines, including P-38s and classic Unlimited Hydroplanes.
http://www.lesliefield.com/ima...2_seattle_colour.jpg

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's another project I'm sourcing parts for, putting a Cummins 1710 V12 in a Steiger tractor.

1992 F350 w/Cummins
both on B100

posted Hide Post
quote:
here's a twin-turbo BMW V12 that I put in my Shelby Cobra replica last year, after blowing the Ford V8 originally under the bonnet

OMG. I recently blew the 4.6 in my Mustang Cobra. If you have another V12 laying around that you need a place to put, I would be happy to provide a home.

Beautiful work.

-Ian
"Don't complain about farmers with your mouth full."
"Arguing with a government inspector is like wrestling with the pig. You both get dirty but after a while you realize the pig enjoys it".

Location: Trapped in a world before later on | Registered: November 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeanCrusher:
OMG. I recently blew the 4.6 in my Mustang Cobra. If you have another V12 laying around that you need a place to put, I would be happy to provide a home.

Beautiful work.

I'm assuming those engines will be a bit hard to start on biodiesel, and they'll smoke a bit once you get them running.

However, there are a number of several V12 engines on E-Bay of various ages and prices, as well as some V12 parts cars.

There are often a number of odd diesel engines at US Government surplus auctions, although they rarely specify the condition very thoroughly.
http://www.govliquidation.com

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is the type of stuff I do in the winter

That was my plan: I wanted to see how far I could get this winter.

Over the last year or so I picked up a 4BT in OH off Ebay, the tranny adapter off Ebay: the 4BT came in some Ford Bread trucks so the the direct adapter is out there if you look hard enough. I still have a busted one I plan to fix and hopefully resell. I got lucky and found a local guy with an Ebay listing who had the adapter and the correct flywheel and I bought them both and he dropped them right at work for me: no shipping cost!

I saved a bit of cash by buying an engine with starting difficulties, and then right off the bat I discovered the starting difficulties were due to a pair of bad piston bearings. So a remachined crank and a whole new set of piston and main bearings later I discovered the turbo was also junk. So another lucky find of a turbo off a 2003-2004.5 Dodge 2500 (Holset HE341) for way less than it could have been and my engine is ready to be turned over.

Here's about where I am currently; the only visible additions since these pictures are a new alternator, the correct serpentine belt, and an oil filter relocation kit:

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'd get fired if I made welds like the ones in the turbo plumbing, don't get me wrong it is a beautiful project, absolutely awesome, but a machine like that deserves a beautiful weld job, those are awful.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the comments, guys. If any of you pass through East Texas and want a rush, give me a shout. I enjoy taking her out.

quote:
Originally posted by fabricator:
I'd get fired if I made welds like the ones in the turbo plumbing, don't get me wrong it is a beautiful project, absolutely awesome, but a machine like that deserves a beautiful weld job, those are awful.

Some of us are lawyers by Monday through Friday, not welders or metal fabricators. Wink

Of course, in fairness, those are all work-in-progress pictures -- it's all much cleaner under the hood now that it's finished. On the tig-welded aluminum cold side, all the welds were ground smooth, then the full intake polished. On the steel hot side, the welds were ground and the plumbing painted. I've thought of re-routing some of the exhaust plumbing, executing in either stainless or inconel, and a two-in/one-out intercooler would make for some more interesting intake plumbing. But then I remind myself that I'd just be spending a few grand and gaining no additional performance. And this isn't a show car. It's a driver.

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
quote:
Do the Dodge engines mate easily to Ford transmissions? I imagine there has to at least be an adapter plate there. That's often the worst part of that kind of a swap.

The B series Cummins is not a Dodge engine. All B series Cummins engines require an adapter. You can't bolt anything to it without one. And since the B series was used in front of Dodge, Ford, and Chevy drive trains, you just get the adapter and flexplate/flywheel for whatever trans you want to run.
I've already done the B series in a Ford with a ZF five speed. Soon I'll be changing out the ZF for an Allison auto.
The Isuzu 4bd2 and matching auto trans I have is 3.9 liter like the cummins 4BT is and has 135 HP, turbo, aftercooled. If it will propel a giant cube filled with produce at interstate speeds, it will be perfect for a 97 F150, 2WD, shortbox.
The one thing I don't like about the Cummins B is that it doesn't have cylinder liners. You have to rebuild one like a gas burner, bore the block and run oversized pistons. The Isuzu isn't that way. It's got sleeves.
Ford has been saying they were going to release a diesel powered half ton since 2004 and it never happened. Same with Chevy and Dodge with the diesel V6. These 4 cylinder turbo diesels in light half ton, full size, trucks could get 30 MPG+ and still carry a washer/dryer home from Lowes or whatever.
I'm done buying new trucks, I'd rather buy a clean, straight, rolling hull and build the truck the way I want it.

And Ryan P.

The only thing I would do different is take off that air to water aftercooler and replace it with a regular intake plate that just has a pipe coming out of it. Then buy a 99 and up Ford air to air aftercooler. They are wide enough to go around most radiators. And route the water lines that used to go to your air/water aftercooler to the heater core for cab heat. Just my opinion.

1992 F350 w/Cummins
both on B100

posted Hide Post
quote:
These 4 cylinder turbo diesels in light half ton, full size, trucks could get 30 MPG+ and still carry a washer/dryer home from Lowes or whatever.

...and if they're anything like my '89 Toyota turbo diesel, if one adds at least 10% biodiesel to the fuel it will pass most emissions tests easily. Also very easy to convert to SVO.

posted Hide Post
I'm just surprised that the Big 3 never tried to add small diesels to their vehicle lines in the USA, at least after the early 80's.

I think there would have been a market for a Diesel Ranger/S10/Dakota/Blazer S10/Bronco II. And probably also other vehicle lines.

I suppose for some inexplicable reason the Diesel engines add significantly to the cost of the engines. So the basic $10K Ranger would suddenly be a basic $20K Diesel Ranger.

However the companies were good at bumping up the prices on the vehicles anyway so while an entry level Ranger might be $10K, many sell for up to $30K.

I don't know, it may not have been a big market. But, the 4BT would have been a simple drop-in and go. It just couldn't have cost too much to put them in. Or, perhaps continue using Mazda or other Diesel engines (didn't Chrysler and Mercedes have something going?)

I suppose that is what I think sunk the Big 3... (and, yes, Ford is struggling too). By ignoring large chunks of the market, they created a business model that was incapable of adapting to changing market demands, as well as inviting in competition.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 4BT F-150, or Bronco should have been a no brainer. They were already using the engine with their manual and auto transmissions in the step and cube vans; they had all the adapter parts. The market was there and they could have grabbed a big chunk of it. The problem of course was the dirty high sulfur fuel in the 80s that made diesels unpopular, so the Big3 decided there was no market, and blocked Toyota from importing their diesels. If the US had mandated ULSD earlier like Europe, Japan and NZ then diesels might have caught on to a wider market.

posted Hide Post
quote:
The only thing I would do different...

That was what I figured would be wise too, but in researching it I found that unless you plan to push the 4BT to really high power numbers, the air-water intercooler is going to do a fine job. Not sure I could find the 4BTSwaps page anymore that I pulled that from, but when I found it I figure the simplicity of keeping it outweighed finding space for an air-air and the plumbing that goes with it.

If it was a high-way truck, maybe, as the airflow would be better to make a decently cooler air charge, but its my off-road exploring truck. The only airflow I am going to get through the front at a 5mph creep is whatever I can provide with an electric fan, or from a stiff head wind. Big Grin Top highway speed with my gears and tires will be 54mph at 2500rpm.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anybody done this with a 4x4 version of the f150 chassis yet?