Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Terracan
 Login/Join

posted
Hi everyone. If this post is in the wrong forum, please forgive me as this is my first post here. I am after some info on the above regarding using bio. I have been making bio for over 10 years and my hilux has done over 350,00 on it without any problems. I use minimal methanol, hence it has never passed a 27/3 test.I have just purchased a 2006 Terrcan. Its a common rail , turbo diesel.Other than making my bio better so it can pass the 27/3 test , are there any mods that need to be done to the mechanics of the car, ie, change fuel lines or seals in the fuel pump?..etc, etc.
Thanks.

Cheers Terracan

posted Hide Post
Hi Terrican,
Your name has lately caught my attention here.
I have always thought the Terracan was a nice looking vehicle and have often wondered how it would go on biodiesel.
I doubt that Terricans, diesel or otherwise, have been sold into the USA

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tilly:
I doubt that Terricans, diesel or otherwise, have been sold into the USA

That is correct.

On other vehicles, my experience with common rail and unit injectors is positive -- quality biodiesel seems to work just fine. The issues generally will be with material compatibility, such as hoses and seals made from various rubbers, plastics, Viton, and other compounds. Some will be fine indefinitely, some work for a while and then weep or fail, and some don't last at all. I don't know anything about your particular vehicle so I can't be any more specific.

Whatever you do, I would focus on getting the quality of my fuel up to the highest practical standard. Once or twice I had my homemade biodiesel tested by gas chromatograph, and to memory it passed all the ASTM specs for biodiesel. Obviously it is impractical (or at least unnecessarily expensive) to test every batch that way, and I have always confirmed that my homemade fuel passed the very basic and simple 3/27 test. Over a period of years that fuel has powered my various vehicles more than 100,000 total miles without a fuel-related failure.

EDIT: I don't know anything about regulations wherever you live. Also do your research about the exhaust system on the vehicle -- for example, whether it has a diesel particulate filter (DPF), and how it is purged (dedicated injector or in-cylinder post-injection). These can be important issues, and in some cases have led to crankcase lube oil dilution, etc.

Cheers, John

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dukegrad98,

posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. The car does have all the emissions stuff on it, so I will do the research and find out all I can.Thanks again.

Cheers Terracan.