New
Find
Notify
Tools

Methonal
 Login/Join

posted
Hi I'm new around here,

I've been thinking about making biodiesel for a for a while. My only problem has been, where can I get methonal cheap enough for this to make cents...literally.

At this point I've decided to try to make some but I thought I'd ask first, where do people get methonal cheap enough?

Charles

posted Hide Post
Hi Flightman91,
Welcome to the forum.

It depends on where you are.
Methanol is used as a racing fuel.
Racing is popular where I live.
I usually buy it in 200 litre drums from either a fuel depot or from racing fuel suppliers.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I buy methanol from the local supplier of bulk fuels. Specific classes of racing vehicles use 100% methanol fuel. It's commonly available in 20L-5gal pails and 200L-55gal barrels.

Since methanol is one of the most expensive and hazardous components for making biodiesel, I've developed the optimum mix of methanol, sodium hydroxide and clean dry UVO that uses full pails of methanol for each batch. This reduces waste, handling, and contamination from atmospheric humidity.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First, I live in Maine.

Second, thank you for the welcome, I'm hoping I can get this operation off the ground with a few answered questions.

I can get methonal fuel but it was like 8 bucks a gallon. From what I was reading I need about 1 part methonal to 4 parts oil. At that rate I might as well buy gas. Do I have something wrong or am I just being hosed on methonal?

posted Hide Post
Hi Flightman91,

If you buy it in a 54 gallon drums it will cost much less.
The last time I bought methanol it was about $1.25 a Litre in a 160kg/ 200 litre drum.
At the time petrol was about $1.40 a litre

The actual stoichiometric requirement for methanol is around 12.5% of the volume of oil being reacted.
HOWEVER in order to push the reaction to a high conversion people usually use around 20% methanol in a single stage reaction.
The excess methanol can be recovered if you want to.

I typically use around 14% in my single stage reaction and do not recover methanol.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flightman91:
I can get methonal fuel but it was like 8 bucks a gallon. From what I was reading I need about 1 part methonal to 4 parts oil. At that rate I might as well buy gas.

Like any fuel it's pointless to compare prices any further than you are willing to drive. Gasoline and methanol are usually close to the same cost per volume depending on the size containers you purchase. If you use clean dry UVO, you'll produce about 5 units of biodiesel for every unit of methanol used. So, unless you can get gasoline for 1/5th the cost of diesel fuel, it's economical to produce biodiesel. I'm assuming you understand that biodiesel and gasoline are not interchangeable fuels. Each requires a specific type of engine.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hi John,

quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
Like any fuel it's pointless to compare prices any further than you are willing to drive.

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Charles, Those guys selling methanol at 8 bucks a gallon are low in the distribution chain. They buy drums of the stuff from each other to mark up and resell. Go to the source. Call the fuel distributors in the area, you know, the guys that sell gasoline and diesel in bulk to the gas stations. You may have to drive across state line to get it for a reasonable price. The fuel distributors only sell in 55 gallon drums.

http://www.racegas.com/fuelfinder

good luck Smile

Rick

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RickDaTech:
... The fuel distributors only sell in 55 gallon drums.
...and 5 gal/20L pails

posted Hide Post
Murphy's Machines Chem Locator for Maine

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post