BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Need help ID toffee like crap infuel bowl

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help ID toffee like crap infuel bowl
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all I have a 98 6.5 TD tht I run the odd tank of Bio fuel I make from used veggy oil. Been having problems with rough start and idle and changed out filter and in bottom of fuel bowl was a 1/2 thick almost plastic like toffee type white substance. It almost seems like plastic. Id post a picture but since this system wont go to my hard drive and I dont flicker or bucket I cant upload.

Rags

Location: Fredericton | Registered: October 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a gum that hit me, I think it's due to old WVO. If it is, it gets through all filters and appears to settle onto upwards facing surfaces when the vehicle is at rest.

Stop using your vehicle before you face an IP rebuild. Dump all fuel including tank and wash out fuel lines with carb cleaner. I found houshold cloudy ammonia good too especially in the tank which I water blasted. You may find that the normal range of solvents won't touch it.

Rough start and idle bit of a clue where you are heading.

Toluol or toluene is a component of carb cleaner, also very effective.

Actually from memory carb cleaner is about a third each of acetone, methanol and toluol and makes a terrific cleaner solvent.

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
it gets through all filters and appears to settle onto upwards facing surfaces when the vehicle is at rest.

That is likely a mixture of soap and glycerol that was dissolved in residual methanol in solution with the BD which precipitated out when the methanol evaporated. It can also be from polymerized VO.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would second that john. It will happen if the bio has not been properly de-methed or settled for long enough. Even if it is water washed by a non aggressive method ie gently misted or bubbled it is still a possibility.

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi John,

quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
That is likely a mixture of soap and glycerol that was dissolved in residual methanol in solution with the BD which precipitated out when the methanol evaporated.
If the biodiesel hs gone through the filters and is in the "internals" of the fuel system, how does the methanol evaporate out?

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post