BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    soyal phospholipids WesleyB please

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

soyal phospholipids WesleyB please
 Login/Join

posted
Hi All
This is a question right up WesleyB's alley
What are soyal phospholipids?
It is used as a crop spray adjuvant to improve chemical uptake efficiencies.
I reckon it looks like poorly made biodiesel
Horrible thick yellow orange looking oil that doesn't mix easily with water unless there is an excess of wetting agent
It's expensive too .... about $10 a litre
In another form its mixed with propionic acid to make a chemical friendly solution to aid product "survival"in alkaline water
Could be a market for bio here me thinks.
Hopefully Wesley will chime in.

Cheers from Australia

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Farmerpete-au,

posted Hide Post
Bump

posted Hide Post
I've just seen this question. I usually look at the postings daily.
Phospho-Lipids are a biochemistry study usually for medical type people. But Phosphorus usually forms 5 bonds as a chemical bond is normally understood. Phosphorus makes phosphoric acid.
As phosphoric acid is drawn, there are three hydroxide groups bonded to phosphorus, by single bonds and one oxygen atom bonded to phosphorus by a double bond.
Theoretically the acid (phosphoric acid) can react with glycerine while losing one water molecule, so phosphoric acid can bond with glycerine, that already has two fatty acids bonded to the one glycerine molecule.
It's probably more complicated than that, but separate diglycerides out and react them with phosphoric acid and it might produce phospho-lipids. I'm not really much at biochemistry.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your reply Wesley (spelling correction)
Can you guess where the soyal part comes in ?
I was thinking of soy beans ?
Cheers

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Farmerpete-au,

posted Hide Post
I found some better information. Lecithin from the Wikipedia article, gives the molecular structure of phosphatidylcholine, a type of Phospholipid. If you care to you might look at that molecular structure, in the article.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cheers Mate