does anyone know why my glycerol gets hard to quick?
around 45m after the biodiesel reaction finished.
1. You are using NaOH as catalyst, which is fine, but..
2. Your oil is likely to be high titrating, which means lots of hard setting sodium soap
3. Your workhouse is likely to be cold
1. Heat your oil up a little hotter, to at least 60C, but not more than 64C
2. Lag any exposed copper pipes
3. If there is residual glycerol solidifying in your processor circulate your pump after draining the glycerol then add some hot water (without mixing) to prevent blockages.
One other possibility - if your oil is not high titrating you could be adding too much catalyst.
You could solve the problem permanently by using KOH catalyst, or even a mix of NaOH and KOH, which I do in winter. Use 7g/L KOH as base amount then use NaOH for the titration.
In addition to what Jehu said, the glycerin can go solid when you do not use enough methanol.
|Powered by Social Strata|