BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    101 Uses For Biodiesel
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

101 Uses For Biodiesel
 Login/Join

posted
Since people have raved over Biodiesel & Biodiesel Glycerin Based Soap, let's see if we can come up with all the different uses for Biodiesel & the by-product glycerin.

Biodiesel
1. Replacement for diesel fuel
2. Replacement for home heating fuel
3. Replacement for "Goo Off"
4. BBQ Cleaner
5. Rubber Eater
6. Tee-Kee Torch Fuel

Glycerin
1. Engine Degreaser
2. Source of Methanol (Methanol Recovery)
3. Floor Cleaner
4. Make Soap from it
5. Compost
6. Emulsion Breaker

OK, share the wealth...

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biodiesel

1. turbine start up fuel for ground running of engines.
2. first stage booster fuel for rocket engines. (not sure of the specific impulse generated but it would help with launch pollution).

Glycerin

1. de-methed and mixed with animal feed, I'm told that animals love the taste.
2. feed stock for a methane digester (this sounds like a good idea, I'll have to do more research on it to see if it helps or hinders methanogenesis).

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Location: Utopia Planitia | Registered: February 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biodiesel
ant killer

Location: Mayan Highlands | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Demethed glycerin

Earwig killer

I pulled a drip pan out from under my glycerin settling jug; I couldn't have squeezed another earwig into that shallow pool of glycerin if you paid me. One solid dead earwig/glycerin lump. Eeeeeeew! Razz

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
not sure about this one but i have been told people have used it as a 2 stroke oil.

How is it used as a Emulsion Breaker does anyone know.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF BIO-DIESEL IN THE MORNING!!

www.suntecbioenergy.com

Location: Temecula Ca | Registered: July 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:

How is it used as a Emulsion Breaker does anyone know.

Biodiesel Glycerin can do wonders to break an emulsion.

Here's the link to it:
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/breakingemulsions/

-Graydon

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
I heard biodiesel cures cancer...

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Biodiesel does a number on bathtub soap scum.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biodiesel
Paint stripper (it has 'gummed' the paint on my garage floor and blistered my car's paint when i didn't remove a filling spill once)

Glycerine
Used to clean anything that i get WVO all over (reactor, wash tank, floor, other equipment)

posted Hide Post
quote:

I heard it will make hair grow back if you are bald...

Don't need it yet, but I hope it's true just in case!

Andrew

http://biodieselcommunity.org
03 Dodge 2500 B100 homebrew
79 Rabbit B100 homebrew

Location: Northern California | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andrew Morris:
quote:

I heard it will make hair grow back if you are bald...

Don't need it yet, but I hope it's true just in case!

It gives you a bigger...

Oh never mind!! Big Grin

Location: Stafford, England | Registered: April 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
....wallet? At least in my case.

Location: Utopia Planitia | Registered: February 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
It would make a good additive to a waterless hand cleaner; the kind they used to put petroleum distillates in, and put +/- limonene in now.

posted Hide Post
Biodiesel makes a lovely lubricant for use on a metal lathe. I never use K-1 any more. The smell is much more pleasant and it's FAR less toxic.

It's also not a bad substitute for WD-40, keeping in mind it may eat paint and/or plastic.

WVO makes a pretty decent wood preservative, though I only have a couple of test pieces that are two years old. The next test I want to set up is to soak the wood with bio and then paint/roll it with wvo, to get better penetration.

I also just rolled 50 2x10's prior to pouring a foundation. I'll let you know how wvo works as a mold release agent.

Finest regards,

troy

Location: north america somewhere close to the midwest, or not | Registered: May 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would bet that biodiesel would make a good parts washer fluid. I haven't tried it (I NEED all my BD I make!), but I've used regular diesel in my parts washer in the past since, at that time, it was far cheaper than the typical "parts cleaner".

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
B100 is great for cleaning/lube on wrenches and hand tools. Especially adjustable and channel-lock types. But be careful if they have dipped handles, it's usually a type of plastisol and the bio eats it quickly. I have also used B100 and glycerine as a lube and coolant on a metal lathe and drill press.

As an indirect use if you spill some b100 on the concrete garage floor and then walk in with wet shoes later it makes for a wild first "skating" lesson!!!

posted Hide Post
quote:
But be careful if they have dipped handles, it's usually a type of plastisol and the bio eats it quickly.

Yeah; I have no plastic covers on any of my valve handles that are anywhere near the washing tank. That little bit of biodiesel mist builds up, the covers swell, and then they fall off.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by troy:
I never use K-1 any more.
troy

Just for a second I read "KY"......

.... there's a thought Eek

Free collection of waste cooking oil in the Nottingahm area http://wastevegoil.co.uk

Location: Nottingham UK | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Twenty4Seven:
quote:
troy

Olive oil works better for that.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Spencnaz:
quote:
Originally posted by Twenty4Seven:
quote:
troy

Olive oil works better for that.

Yea, but Popeye will kick your A$$ Big Grin

Location: up the holler down Copperhead Road | Registered: April 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post