BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    101 Uses For Biodiesel
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

101 Uses For Biodiesel
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
You can power your boat!

FatPoweredBoat

Location: Dayton, OH | Registered: November 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
glycerin is good for dust suppression.

They use calcium on a lot of gravel roads here which is probably not the most enviro-friendly thing. I've even heard some construction companies use motor oil or other petroleum oils to keep the dust down on job sites where glycerin would certainly do the same job and be a lot less toxic!

The biodiesel can be good or bad for it's ability to eat away at some materials. It started softening up the mortar between the cement blocks holding the corner of one building up around here... I washed it out with water and no real harm done but it'll soften some mortar!

As for getting better grip with tires, I dunno if it would help or hinder... I'd only try it on a tire you don't care much about and be careful not to explode a tire or something dangerous.

1986 vw jetta 2 tank SVO conversion
1992 vw golf 2 tank SVO conversion
1998 2500 12 valve Cummins diesel with 2 tank SVO conversion
Making biodiesel in the back yard and running WVO in the vehicles with 2 tanks

Location: Burk's Falls, Ontario, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
biodiesel and sugar is a great heavy duty hand cleaner.

Mix 1 part water and 10 parts water to make an effective weedkiller. I pour it over the cracks in the paving in my yard and the weeds turn yellow and die in about a week.

Ya water does a great job of killing weeds

I guessing that on part biodiesel 10 parts water

posted Hide Post
Over the weekend I had a small VO spill in my shop. I decided it was cleanup time. I grabbed a bunch of demethed glycerol and spread it on the concrete floor, scrubbed and flushed outside with water. Worked great.

About 30 minutes later I had thousands of roly polys crawling into my shop from the dirt drive outside. I guess the caustic in the glycerol was irritating them. I wonder how this would work as a barrier against termites.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After I finished plowing about 20 acres this spring, I used the little bit of glycerin that I had to cover the shiney parts of my kverneland plow. To keep it from rusting. The same idea as using farm grease. It seems to be holding up well so far. It went on pretty slimey at first, but the liquid evaporated fast and formed a nice hard protective skin on the moldboards. We'll see how well it comes off the next time I use it.

Cheers
Donnie

Location: Cape Breton, Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: April 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graydon Blair:
Since people have raved over Biodiesel & Biodiesel Glycerin Based Soap, let's see if we can come up with all the different uses for Biodiesel & the by-product glycerin.

Biodiesel
1. Replacement for diesel fuel
2. Replacement for home heating fuel
3. Replacement for "Goo Off"
4. BBQ Cleaner
5. Rubber Eater
6. Tee-Kee Torch Fuel

Glycerin
1. Engine Degreaser
2. Source of Methanol (Methanol Recovery)
3. Floor Cleaner
4. Make Soap from it
5. Compost
6. Emulsion Breaker

OK, share the wealth...

Either/Both
1. Shoe polish
2. Flying insect bait

Regards,
Keith

"The government is not best which secures mere life and property--there is a more valuable thing--manhood."
- Mark Twain's Notebook

2004 GMC Duramax 6.6 LLY now on B100 "Applejuice"

Location: Whiteville, NC | Registered: March 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Technically not BD, but I use SVO instead of lighter fluid on the BBQ. I figure having peanut oil by products on my food is better than having whatever is in lighter fluid on it.

Works great to jumpstart a chimmney style coal lighter.

posted Hide Post
Biodiesel is an amazing parts cleaner, I keep a 5 gallon bucket of the stuff handy for cleaning really grungy parts.

I even dipped carburetors in there, of course the soft rubber parts were gone, but those are replaced in the rebuild kits anyway.

Everything comes out sparkling clean.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Location: Utopia Planitia | Registered: February 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biodiesel is a great solvent. I use the BD that accumulates in my 2 liter bottles from testing the BD with the shake em up test to clean out my oil collection filter. I think it works as good as acetone at no additional cost.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Add one more:
I own a small pressure washing company and have a hot water unit that uses diesel to fire the burner that heats the water. I did a job last week and ran 50/50 bio in it and it worked great. Now I can market that as eco friendly with some of the gov't contracts I do.

posted Hide Post
I admit it's not biodiesel, but it's a very interesting use for vegetable oil.
YouTube video - Vegetable Oil PC

Ken

Location: Sellersville, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glycerin Byproduct:

Release agent for concrete forms.

That's what I used on the 2x12's for my new shed pad, and even the form board that was pinched between the pad and the stoop came out quick and easy. They end op a little sticky on your hands after you pull them off, but its construction: everything is dirty!

I just used it demethed and straight up. I just had a 1 gal pitcher and I pour a little on the inside face of all the forms, and both sides of the above mentioned pitched form.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tumblehome:
So can I really use biodiesel in an oil furnace? No modifications were needed to my car for this use. Are any modifications needed to a furnace for burning it or is it a direct replacement?

It should work fine. I plan on using it in my dads garage furnace. Just remember the gel factor. I wouldn't go pooring it in the tank if it's outside. Try disconecting the line at the pump and run a new line to a 5 gallon bucket.

Location: Kent, Ohio | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Rott:
quote:
Originally posted by tumblehome:
Are any modifications needed to a furnace for burning it or is it a direct replacement?

It should work fine. I plan on using it in my dads garage furnace.

I believe most furnaces need to be modified to burn biodiesel. For more info see Biodiesel for Heating.

Ken

Location: Sellersville, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe most furnaces need to be modified to burn biodiesel.

You can check out this site for Kuma stoves. They are BD compatible. I'm picking up one this weekend. It's going into my gargage (10' ceiling) and planning on sucking the warm air (100*F plus) off of the ceiling and piping it into my living room with a 6" duct and in-line blower.

I'm looking forward to a lot lower heating bill this winter!!!!!

Jim...

Jim...

'03 Dodge Ram 2500, 5.9L Turbo
B100 - 90,000+ miles
4,500+ gallons brewed

Location: Lost Wages, NV | Registered: January 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bunk:
I believe most furnaces need to be modified to burn biodiesel. For more info see Biodiesel for Heating.

Ken

No Ken, There is really nothing you need to do and nothing you need to convert. Just use it the same as any other fuel. ‘Conversion’ becomes necessary when you want to run your diesel engine on Straight Vegetable Oil (SVO) For some pre-1994 model vehicles it is said that you need to replace your rubber hoses with synthetic ones.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elmejor:
No Ken, There is really nothing you need to do and nothing you need to convert.

Hi elmejor. What model oil furnace are you burning biodiesel in without modification? How long have you been running it on B100? Is it lighting off reliably? Would you like to move this discussion to the Biodiesel for Heating section?

Ken

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jacob E:
You can power your boat!

FatPoweredBoat

...yes and now even fly a jumbo jet!!! air new zealand has done that!!!

posted Hide Post
I make fire bricks from the Glycerin (mixed 50/50 with sawdust), it burns great!

posted Hide Post
It does a great job of waterproofing my old redwing boots! And when I walk through the house and forget to remove them it makes for great conversation between me and the wife.

If it aint broke, dont fix it! But its ok to take it apart and see how it operates.