BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    101 Uses For Biodiesel
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

101 Uses For Biodiesel
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
I floated the idea on the Products Finishing (a set of help forums maintained for powder coaters and platers) site, at: http://www.pfonline.com/dp/forums/index.cfm?pub=PF
that bio-d would make a good rust inihibiting coating for steel parts in transit.

Usually, they use hydrocarbon oils for this purpose, and it's a real nuisance. It forms an oily layer on top of the heated caustic cleaner that has to be skimmed off.

Ethyl bio-d would break down under those conditions to yield ethanol and soap - the problem would go away.

posted Hide Post
All summer longI have been working on an organic farm, and I hadn't cleaned out my bathtub once. I use a hemp seed oil, NaOH soap with the local hard water, so I had a very visible and hard to break tub ring. I smeared biodiesel on the shower walls and tub surface (including the metal fixtures which were severely coated with hard water deposits) and then took a handful of baking soda and scrubbed on all the non-metal parts. After, I made up some soapy water (could have used glycerol, but didn't have any with me) and washed it all down. The results are great, my bathroom has never been cleaner. I am pleased how well it removed the hard water deposits.

I have also been using biodiesel to oil the blades in my hair trimmers, after cleaning them. Works well too.

John M.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1984 3/4 ton Chevrolet Suburban 6.2L - 120,000 miles on biodiesel/WVO (yes, that number is correct!)

1992 Ford F250 extended cab 7.3L ATS, propane injection, water injection - 55,000 miles on WVO

1980 Mercedes 240D - 2,000 miles on biodiesel

Location: Missoula, MT | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Glycerin makes a great substitute for diesel on the insides of dump trucks loaded with asphalt.

Before a Dump Truck picks up asphalt the driver usually sprays the inside bed of the dump with diesel so that the asphalt doesn't stick to the sides. We took a yard sprayer and put 50% water and 50 glycerin in the bottle and sprayed it to the sides.

They tell me the asphalt slides out very easy.

We got rid of about twenty gallons of glycerin that way.

2001 Golf TDI
35K miles on 93.5% Biodiesel
1981 Topless Bunny

Location: denver CO | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Getting back to engines... try a gasoline engine with 1% to 2% of biodiesel in the gasoline. Great start,super hi lubricity with no smoke, less noise even when cranking the engine. (try the lawn machine first!!!)
They kill bugs in central america too and prepare a lotion for spraying fruits for avoiding the fly.
By your own risk!
regards
Fredrick

Location: Bariloche & Bahia Blanca Argentina | Registered: May 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Mike:
quote:
Originally posted by Spencnaz:
quote:
Originally posted by Twenty4Seven:
quote:
Originally posted by troy:
I never use K-1 any more.
troy

Just for a second I read "KY"......

.... there's a thought Eek

Olive oil works better for that.

Yea, but Popeye will kick your A$$ Big Grin

Now that was funny.

Kumar Plocher
Yokayo Biofuels
Yokayo Biofuels Facebook page
.........../ \..............
fueling / R \ evolution since 2001
'''''''''''''/____\'''''''''''''''''''

Sustainable Biodiesel...

Location: Ukiah, CA USA | Registered: September 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would like to know a what it means to break up an emulsion. Is this something encountered in some industrial setting or in some house hold setting. thank you.

posted Hide Post
Go here. Read this.
http://riverstonesbiodiesel.com/bd/rnd/emulsion.php
That'll explain it...
-Graydon

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Doesn't Chuck Norris have glycerin instead of blood?

Location: London | Registered: October 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am in receipt of a notice from the CA Dept of Food and Ag proposing huge increases in renderers license, collection centers and inedible kitchen grease transporters. Just the renderers license would go from $750 to $3,000/yr!!!!! They are going to wipe out a lot of small businesses and discourage ones that are looking to become biodiesel producers. If it happens hear it will happen in other states. Let's stop the government from doing this.

Location: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: April 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by extremediesel:
I am in receipt of a notice from the CA Dept of Food and Ag proposing huge increases in renderers license, collection centers and inedible kitchen grease transporters. Just the renderers license would go from $750 to $3,000/yr!!!!! They are going to wipe out a lot of small businesses and discourage ones that are looking to become biodiesel producers. If it happens hear it will happen in other states. Let's stop the government from doing this.

I agree that this is serious and we should be aware of it. But nobody will see it here under the "101 uses for biodiesel" discussion. You need to re-post it as a new topic under the general biodiesel discussion page, before you open or look at any of the messages on the page. That's what probably got you here in the first place.

My sincere sypmathy for living in the Republic of Kalifornia. Government gone horribly amuck.

Finest regards,

troy

Location: north america somewhere close to the midwest, or not | Registered: May 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if this one has been brought up yet but......

My wife just discovered she can use biodiesel to clean the grease film that forms around the stove area.

it works great on the vent thingy above the stove.

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
Great conversation starter...

"so you make biodiesel, what did you have to do to your car to use it?"

Location: Somewhere on the Colorado plateau | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
So can I really use biodiesel in an oil furnace? No modifications were needed to my car for this use. Are any modifications needed to a furnace for burning it or is it a direct replacement?

tumblehome
'89 vdub

Location: West Michigan | Registered: September 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
as a carpenter,ive been laying alot of oak floor this year,finished with 2 coats of bio,brings the grain of the timber out beautifully,and provides protection against water.acts like danish oil.final finish is osma polyx finishing wax.

also good,as mentioned,for cleaing kitchen chrome.
you can even run your car on it!.
another thing its good for,the planet!

Location: london | Registered: February 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It also works well to free up combination locks that spent too much time in the rain.

Any opinions of how well it will soften hard-compound tires? I'm looking to get a bit better grip on some tires I'm working with...

Horn

Location: Flint, MI | Registered: February 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well...I've never tried it, but we know how BD will dissolve sneakers over time, I would say it should work!

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tumblehome:
So can I really use biodiesel in an oil furnace? No modifications were needed to my car for this use. Are any modifications needed to a furnace for burning it or is it a direct replacement?
Depending on the year and the make of your furnace I think you can. I read somewhere about the year they stopped using soft metals in the oil-furnace industry, I think it was 1994, but a good heating guy with some history might like to talk bio enough to help you out of your quandry. I have also heard, that it washes the system of old dino diesel and may require injector/like clogging, but normally its just a carbon build up in the combustion chamber, they may require a clean out after the switch before the cleaner bio-d..

Location: Ann ArborMI, USA | Registered: April 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biodiesel makes a perfect honing oil for sharpening knives, chisels etc, It works with an ordinary cheap oil stone and I dont mind getting it on my hands.

biodiesel and sugar is a great heavy duty hand cleaner.

Mix 1 part water and 10 parts water to make an effective weedkiller. I pour it over the cracks in the paving in my yard and the weeds turn yellow and die in about a week.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Use #73 - mouse trap bait See Here

Free collection of waste cooking oil in the Nottingahm area http://wastevegoil.co.uk

Location: Nottingham UK | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Cleaning stainless steel of grease stains.
Works great for shining up the BioPro's!
-Graydon

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post