BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    101 Uses For Biodiesel
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

101 Uses For Biodiesel
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Can you eat biodiesel? Not that I am planning to use it for salad dressing anytime soon...

posted Hide Post
I think it might be a good laxative!

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was at a BBQ last summer.

They were running a bit behind getting the grill going (Wood-pit BBQ).

Anyway, pouring a few cup fulls of BD on the fire made some spectacular flames. Less toxic than petroleum lighter fluids. The added BD did flare up and burn very quickly.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Couldnt resist.

BD to start/initiate/get going,, a fire?? Must have had a lot of meoh or gasoline in it. Flash point is almost 2x dino diesel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point . I would think that if you poured BD on a fire it would put it out. Do it and post a video. BS

02 duramax, bio since 04/08

Location: St Pete Florida | Registered: December 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use bio as a fire starter,every time I light the wood stove,spray it on the screwed up newspaper and the logs on top and then light-if it doesn't catch first time, spray more on-works every time

Location: UK | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hootep:
Couldnt resist.

BD to start/initiate/get going,, a fire?? Must have had a lot of meoh or gasoline in it. Flash point is almost 2x dino diesel. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_point . I would think that if you poured BD on a fire it would put it out. Do it and post a video. BS
Sorry, I didn't take any photos...

But, I certainly would not recommend putting it in your fire extinguishers to put out fires.

In this case, the fire was already partly started, but needed to be spread. It flared up very well... very similar to what you might get with Diesel (but perhaps not quite as much as with Gasoline).

While some of my homebrew has alcohol in it, I believe that was a batch of commercial bio so it should have been clean.

I've got a pump-style fire extinguisher filled with Diesel... wonderful as a fire starter. It needs some repairs... perhaps I'll rebuild it and try it with Bio and try to get someone to take some photos.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CraigM:
Can you eat biodiesel? Not that I am planning to use it for salad dressing anytime soon...

My dog and the neigbour's dog have drank gallons of spilled biodiesel, with no ill effects, not even the runs. I have contemplated deep frying a turkey in it, but haven't worked up the nerve. If it is washed well, it basically taste like plain vegtable oil. Also there are pictures of Daryl Hanna drinking it on U-tube.

Location: Winnipeg, MB | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Personally I think I'll stick to using new oil for the cooking... and then if one ends up making waste oil... making biodiesel out of that.

Everything indicates low toxicity of the biodiesel. However, I don't think anybody has mapped out the metabolic pathways in humans yet.

In particular, what happens to the methyl-ester part? Does it get broken off to re-generate methanol? Is that a problem at low rates/doses?

I would also be inclined to believe that well-used oil has been chemically altered from the raw form. Turning it back to a yellow color doesn't make it new again. I guess I'm surprised about subtle health effects of making non-natural substances such as converting cis fats to trans fats.

I am seeing notes that extended frying can produce trans fats, although I'm not seeing good quantification on how much with normal cooking.

This article was interesting:
http://palmoilis.mpob.gov.my/p...ations/pod38-p11.pdf

Except that they were using an imported, pre-frozen french fries that started out with very high amounts of trans fats so I can't differentiate the production of new trans fats from the transfer from the fries to the oil. But, over a week the oil content did increase.

Anyway...
Burn the used oil.
Buy Fresh Oil.

posted Hide Post
JB weld disolver. JB welded a sink screen in the bottom of my hardwood chip drum to catch large chips that may have made it to the bottom. When I changed out the chips the screen was no longer welded. This happened twice.

Location: NW Louisiana | Registered: March 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Huh...I've sealed things with JB Weld, the 5 minute Quick Set kind, and they have held fine. Of course, none of them are submerged or soaking, just leaking pipe threads or around a vacuum port I drilled into the top of the processor, or a couple pin holes in the top of my fuel tank...but that's not installed yet.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Sometimes getting adhesive strips (BandAids) off tears at the skin, especially children. First soak the strip in biodiesel, it will dissolve the adhesive part and then it can be easily removed.

Any residual adhesive can be removed also with biodiesel and then the oily residual from that cleans away perfectly with the glycerin soap.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After re-reading these posts again , I think it's fair to say that the nail has been hit harder on the head than many of us probably realize.
Many uses listed here for BD have products on the market and sell for much more than the fuel itself.
Methyl Ester cleaners and solvents are everywhere.
After reading one post here we called on Asphalt companies promoting our glycerin soap as an asphalt blocking agent for truck beds hauling asphalt. After a couple rounds of samples we discovered the product we were competing against was BD labeled as Asphalt Release.
They were paying $6.50/Gal U.S.
Not Anymore !!
Approvals from the DOT required.

Our biggest customer for soap was paying $600.00 for a 250 Gal Tote of soap for their cleaning process. It was nothing more than water and NAOH with some blue dye in it.
We are saving them money too.

regards
Tom

1999 K3500 Dually with a new AMG 6.5TD turned up a bit by John Kennedy
Chevy DMax Totaled thanks to a 20 year old in a Mustang
Mercedes 300CDT
John Deere
On B99.?

Location: Decatur, Al | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Teabags soaked in biodiesel and stored as fire lighters in old jars. I'm using them to get an anthracite heater going.

posted Hide Post
Glycerol/water solution kills aphids, but doesn't hurt the plants.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I actually sell it to a pesticide company that uses it as a carrier, instead of regular diésel for dilluting their Chemicals. Has been working fine!!

Saludos desde México.
Eduardo G

posted Hide Post
I have a part time business selling vintage and used tools online mostly 19th and early 20th century cast steel tools. I offer a sharpening outfit that sells really well,

http://www.adverts.ie/hand-too...ine-woodwork/6323335

The honing oil is just biodiesel and it works beautifully. It also has the advantage that it is non toxic and not smelly.

Location: Lismore Ireland | Registered: November 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm fairly new to all this so excuse the ignorance. I've read things like, 'Biodiesel is less toxic than table salt.' If this is the case, it should be fine to get on your hands, right? Why do rubber fuel lines need to changed if it's OK to have on your hands? What is the reality with bio? Is it safe on the skin? Not that I want to wash my hands with it but I hear about people using to clean stuff.

1997 Dodge Ram 2500

posted Hide Post

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried biodiesel in oil lamps or those camper heaters?

posted Hide Post
I recently poured bio into a short glass container. I cut a hole in the top, dropped in a wick, siliconed it into a ceramic cone so there was no air leak and let it soak up the bio overnight. I lit it and it has been burning nicely. I'm in an open area so not worried about fumes. It's protecting the wick nicely whereas olive oil won't and the wick will burn right through. I'd say quite successful!

1997 Dodge Ram 2500