BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Another fuel crop.

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another fuel crop.
 Login/Join

posted
We have been involved in a research project growing industrial hemp. The plan is to make biodiesel. I will post a few links to videos that a friend put together. The clips are a little long but I hope you enjoy the shots of the country where we live and work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8LIVb1smro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2odW8eanNo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZIdb4nqjXw

Location: Virginia | Registered: March 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of dope! What kind of oil yield do you anticipate, against canola or soy, etc.? I think you've done camelina in the past too?

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
Actually the THC level in hemp (a cousin to marijuana) is so low as to be negligible,although the health properties of hemp are quite high (no pun intended) and many of the same cannabinoids are present as in marijuana. The original US declaration of independence was written on hemp paper <- factoid. The per volume level of protein in hemp is higher than in any other plant and is suitable for a vegan/vegetarian diet. The oil is much better used as a health supplement than fuel. Manitoba Harvest has over 6,000 acres of hemp, both regular harvest as well as organic. 9 uses for hemp

The pressed mulch from hemp has been turned into a large selection of useful products, including clothes and paper to mention a couple.

Do you and your family a solid and siphon off some of that oil once pressed. It has a nutty flavor and goes well almost anywhere. Nice thing is that it is a relatively low maintenance crop.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About 20 years ago, after seeing the condition of agriculture along the north shore of New Brunswick, I put together a business plan to cultivate 12,000 acres of low THC hemp and use it to manufacture particle board. Was actually one of my first forays into a totally self sustaining, zero waste industrial application.

The fibre was used for the particle board, the seed oil for energy and the seed mash was sold to pig farmers. Was using technology developed by the National Research Center here in Ottawa and the excitement level was quite high. Unfortunately the laws around cultivation of hemp (routed in 1930s ideology)plus the fact that the only source for low THC hemp seed came from Europe (only place I could find sufficient stocks)drove a stake through the business plan.

The numbers drove and certainly would have benefitted the farmers along the north shore. They had lost their income from potatoes, due to the potato blight and thus couldn't sell to the McCains (all the French fries sold by McDonalds in North America), their main customer. Would have been a great project but once again it was 20 years ahead of the curve.

Have been following the hemp thing ever since. Interesting research into the medicinal benefits of THC plus its a great example of how our fore fathers actually got it right and how we mistakenly thought we could do it better.

Bill

91 Buick Roadmaster wagon, GM 6.2 diesel conversion (gone but not forgotten
89 GMC 6.2 (Just got rid of the last pieces)
84 Mercedes 300D (gone to the great autobahn in the sky)
94 Cadillac Fleetwood (Sold before I could convert it)

Location: Manotick, Ontario Canada | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hemp is an excellent agricultural product with almost unlimited potential. It's development is inhibited only by the congenital stupidity of politicians. It's possible that the legalization of marijuana will remove the legal barriers inhibiting hemp's full potential.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
We live two hours from Washington DC. I have made three trips to lobby for the Industrial Hemp Farming Act. My congressman happens to be chairman of the Judiciary Committee. Any hemp legislation lives or dies in his committee. It never hurts to be at the right place at the right time. After visiting the research project on our farm our congressman said he will support the hemp farming act. Time will tell. The photo was taken during the visit. The link is to congressman's web page.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJNs7J-hyB5/

posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Noticed any drones flying over?

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paulus:
Noticed any drones flying over?

We did have a black helicopter buzz us.

posted Hide Post
Here is a link to a TV show that has some footage about the hemp bio fuel research project. Story starts about 7:20 into the show. I am the one wearing a hat and glasses,and I talk funny.

http://video.wvpt.net/video/2365881646/

posted Hide Post
When are you going to make a video of you grinding the seed into oil and making biodiesel with it?

Location: Haverhill Iowa | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post