BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    New to the Forum
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New to the Forum
 Login/Join

posted
I would like to say hello to all members of the forum. I am a new member here and looking into make Biodiesel for my personnal use.

I am hoping to start making my first 1ltr test batch next week using fresh unused sunflower oil to start and learn the processess. I would be glade of any tips you would be willing to share.

Kind Regards

Mark

Location: Eastbourne | Registered: February 18, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Mark, Welcome to the forum.

For the easiest method of making a test litre of biodiesel you can not beat the World famous Dr Pepper Technique (pat Pend)

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Tilly

Thank you for the reply and link. When I am ready to start I am hoping to make a video of my first attempt and will post it up.

Kind Regards

Mark

Location: Eastbourne | Registered: February 18, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
How did your batch turn out Mark?

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello RickDaTech

I am Just waiting for 1 more item to turn up so I can do the Titation Test first.

I have also been watching some more videos on youtube about washing the Biofuel and they use Sulphuric Acid on the first wash. With thier have been a number of acid attacks here in the UK it has made obtaining Sulphuric Acid harder to obtain. However Hydrocloric Acid at 38% purity is more readily available so could I use this instead.

Kind Regards

Mark

posted Hide Post
HI Mark,

quote:
Originally posted by Mark2256:
I have also been watching some more videos on youtube about washing the Biofuel and they use Sulphuric Acid on the first wash.
Mark
There is an absolute wealth of inaccurate nonsense about making biodiesel on the internet.
DO NOT USE SULFURIC ACID IN THE WASH!!!

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hello Tilly

Thank you for the reply. As this was the only video I have seen where they used Sulphuric Acid I had my douts about using it. Most of the video's I have watched have been from Utah Biodeisel and it was not them using it. I have also signed up on the link above and I can see from that forum that you are one of the main reseachers on Biodesiel and thay have a diagram of your first Biodesiel reactor.

As I am new to the production of Biodesiel and still learning may I post and ask for help?

Kind Regards

Mark

posted Hide Post
Hi Mark,,

quote:
Hello Tilly
you are one of the main reseachers on Biodesiel and thay have a diagram of your first Biodesiel reactor.
While I do consider myself as being one of the main researchers in the early, formative years of developing backyard procedures for producing biodiesel, I doubt that any website has a diagram of my first biodiesel reactor.
If I remember correctly, I think it was just a 20 litre drum that I filled about 2/3 full and rocked back and forth.

quote:
As I am new to the production of Biodesiel and still learning may I post and ask for help?
That is what we are here for- please feel free to post anytime you have a question.

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hello RickDaTech

I am Just waiting for 1 more item to turn up so I can do the Titation Test first.

Would that happen to be a scale for measuring exactly 1 gram, or phenolphthalein?

Rick

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mark2256; Since you are using new sunflower oil you might get away with making an assumption and skipping the titration. New oil is generally low in free fatty acids. So you might use 6.5 grams per litre potassium hydroxide in new sunflower oil plus 20% by volume anhydrous new methanol, to do a small reaction.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I titrated Mazola (name brand) new corn oil, the titration number was 0.42 (sodium hydroxide). That means it took about 4/10 of a gram of sodium hydroxide (100%) to neutralize the free fatty acids present in one litre of the new corn oil. New vegetable oils usually don't have much free fatty acids present as far as I know.

posted Hide Post
Hi Wesley,

quote:
Originally posted by WesleyB:
New oil is generally low in free fatty acids. So you might use 6.5 grams per litre potassium hydroxide
It is normally accepted that it requires at least 7g KOH (potassium hydroxide) to fully react a litre of oil with a titration of 0 in a single stage base reaction.
That assumes the KOH has a purity of 100% and there is adequate mixing, methanol and etc.

Most KOH that is available has a purity of around 90%. That means that you will need to bump the KOH amount up to at least 7.7g KOH per litre of oil if you want to achieve a complete reaction.

I am curious why you recommend just 6.5g KOH

posted Hide Post
Hello All Thank you for the replies.

I am waiting for the phenolphthalein to arrive yes I know I could use tumaric poweder but that seems to give a different result according to a video I have seen.

Yes I am using new sunflower oil but I am here to learn the whole process so making assumptions to me with respect seems to be taking short cuts "but thank you anyway".

What I could do with is some suggestions on how to make a safe processor money is very tight due to personnal circumstances so I need to do it as cheap as possible but without cutting corners.

Kind Regards

Mark

posted Hide Post
Hi Mark,

quote:
Hello All Thank you for the replies.

I am waiting for the phenolphthalein to arrive yes I know I could use tumaric poweder but that seems to give a different result according to a video I have seen.
There is a wealth of inaccurate information posted on the internet about making biodiesel and it appears you have been finding your share of it

I have tested phenolphthalein, Turmeric and Phenol red for titrating.
Phenolphthalein and turmeric are virtually identical. Phenol red is not quite so accurate but if it is all you have it will do.
When I titrate (which is rarely) I use turmeric.
Check my World Famous Chopstick Titration Technique (Pat Pend) for how to titrate using turmeric.

quote:
What I could do with is some suggestions on how to make a safe processor money is very tight due to personnal circumstances so I need to do it as cheap as possible but without cutting corners.
It depends on what you mean by "safe" and "cutting corners".

After initially rocking a 20 litre drum back and forth, for the last 16 years I have used a drill to mix my biodiesel.
I currently make my biodiesel in two plastic 150 litre reactors.
I know some people on this forum will immediately start to hyperventilate at the mere mention of using a drill to mix with and plastic reactors. These are people who do not understand what they are doing and the chemistry involved.

Most important safety reactor consideration is locate your reactor(s) outside (if possible) and DO NOT HAVE AN ELECTRIC HEATER IN THE REACTOR

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes I am using new sunflower oil but I am here to learn the whole process...

What I could do with is some suggestions on how to make a safe processor...

Mark,

To me, it's all about learning. Once you get your phenolphthalein try comparing it against turmeric and phenol red, they are cheap and a comparison test is a great way to learn.

Processor design depends on how much you want to make. How much oil are you collecting now?

Have you found the biopowered wiki and my website? They both have a lot of good stuff in them.

As far as safety goes, Tilly is right about making it outside if possible. Rule #1 of making biodiesel is don't make the stuff in your home.

Rick

posted Hide Post
Tilly I figured a base of 5 grams for potassium hydroxide plus about 1/2 gram for new oil titration times 100/90 equals 6.1 grams plus a little. Considering the potassium hydroxide is about 85% to 90 percent pure.

posted Hide Post
Hi Wesley,

quote:
Tilly I figured a base of 5 grams for potassium hydroxide plus about 1/2 gram for new oil titration times 100/90 equals 6.1 grams plus a little.
GC testing the chemist neutral performed showed that the minimum amount of NaOH required was 5g and the minimum amount of KOH required was 7g assuming 100% purity and a titration of 0 when performing a single stage base reaction that would meet the ASTM Conversion requirement.
This has been "common Knowledge" for about 15 years.

Have you performed any testing that showed all that was required was 5g KOH or are you just guessing?

posted Hide Post
The testing I did was Warnquest test. I could test again. Initially I used 3.5 grams sodium hydroxide plus titration on new oil. Without doing the calculation now 3.5 grams NaOH is roughly equivalent to 5 grams potassium hydroxide. New oil doesn't have much water in it as best I guess. I got product and good results on a laboratory scale using that quantity and new oil. It's called empirically determined.

posted Hide Post
Hi Wesley,

quote:
The testing I did was Warnquest test. I could test again. Initially I used 3.5 grams sodium hydroxide plus titration on new oil. Without doing the calculation now 3.5 grams NaOH is roughly equivalent to 5 grams potassium hydroxide.
That is interesting. Do you mean you passed the Warnqvest test when you reacted new Vegetable oil with 3.5g NaOH+ titration?
I am sure it would be best to do the procedure more than once just to make sure.

What was the total amount of NaOH you actually used?

posted Hide Post
quote:

I re-tested my product with a 10/90 Warnquist test. I got about 0.5 milliliters of fall out. I did that procedure November 10, 2013, I tested the product I saved. I had a titration number of sodium hydroxide of 6 grams per litre. That's about 8.5 grams potassium hydroxide. Using a base amount of 5 grams per litre of potassium hydroxide I put 13.5 grams 85% potassium hydroxide into 210 millilitres of methanol. Used 1 litre fresh waste deep fryer oil. Heated 2 1/2 hours at 40-60 degrees centigrade with fast stirring. Let cool. Washed with 400 milliliters of distilled water. Dried with anhydrous magnesium sulfate (not recommended). Filtered out the drying agent. I almost used enough potassium hydroxide to do the job, assuming no reverse reaction has occurred in 5 years. I haven't found my older research notes yet. I got 95% reacted product biodiesel. When I started making biodiesel 3.5 grams per lire was suggested as a NaOH base amount plus titration plus an increase based upon purity of sodium hydroxide. Maybe there's a better way by now.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: WesleyB,