BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    You know your a Biodiesel Nut when....
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 21

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You know your a Biodiesel Nut when....
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
you mean you're going to use the starter to drive your water pump?

Mark

Location: Pittsboro, North Carolina | Registered: March 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by girl mark:
you mean you're going to use the starter to drive your water pump?

Mark

Nah, it's not continuous duty rated. Might use it to jump start part of the processor though.

Another one to add:

You know you're a biodiesel nut when...
...You see a guy in a diesel truck doing a smokey burnout in a parking lot on a trip, and casually comment to your passengers that had he been using biodiesel, most of that soot would have been non-existant. You later roll up beside him at a traffic light, roll down your window, and tell him the same. Razz

--There is no Magic Bullet.--

If bigger is safer, buses are safest.
Save yourself, use Transit.

Location: Clemson, SC | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if the supplier of WVO knows where you live and visits to see if you need more oil from his Brother's restaurant... True Story...

if you buy a brand new truck just so you can run it on BD... True Story...

Location: Agawam,Ma | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TurbinePowered:
quote:
Originally posted by girl mark:
I know, I know- you're talking about the dead gasser's water pump?

Mark

Actually, nope! It's a stamped steel water pump, no good. But nice guess. Big Grin

Give you another clue though: it's not actually in my yard, but a neighbor's. 1980-something Rabbit, total rustbucket, long-dead CIS inline four gas engine and the automatic of the day; I think one of the drive axles is actually rusted all the way through, too.

The radiator for a condenser for your methanol recovery setup.

Location: KTown - Itch Capital of the World | Registered: June 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Christmas Eve at the Reiswigs:

"Yeah, yeah, honey...I'll help put together the bicycle in a minute. I just have to go do the 5% prewash on this batch."

George Reiswig
North by Northwest Expedition
1983 Mercedes 416 Doka
2005 Jeep Liberty CRD
http://www.4x4wire.com/mercedes/nnw/intro.htm

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JojoJaro:
The radiator for a condenser for your methanol recovery setup.

The radiator and AC condensor have both already found new homes: the radiator is my primary passive cooling for my computer (Watercooled PC) and the AC condensor got rigged up with another AC condensor from my Quantum and put into service as extra condensor capacity for a chest freezer that's... a little venerable.

I might have to try that though, and find a new radiator to do it with!

[edit] So I stay on topic...

... If what you've read about biodiesel has inspired you to, despite the fact that your largest batch to date is 5 gallons and you still consider yourself "experimenting," talk to at least three different importers about scrounging up a V6 TDi from Europe to transplant into your 20 year old station wagon, just so you can have a cool car to run biodiesel in.

--There is no Magic Bullet.--

If bigger is safer, buses are safest.
Save yourself, use Transit.

Location: Clemson, SC | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

<DCS>
posted
Your 11 yo son is not the least bit concerned that he can't ride his New Bicycle on Christmas Day beause some idiot only put 1 Pedal in the box, but is almost in tears because you didn't finish working on the 300D and the family will have to take the gas powered car to the relatives place.

When the Mrs sends you out to fix the thing Christmas morning and you take Helga the 300D to the rellies, You spend more answering questions from the family you haven't seen in the past 12 months about the car that runs on fish and chip oil than anything to do with how the hell you have been and what you have been doing for the last year since you last saw them!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
when the cops bust in your garage thinking you are running a meth lab and all they end up with is some jugs of liquid glyserin soap to take home (true story) Big Grin

Location: new orleans area | Registered: January 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If when you're walking in the front door of cafe you've never been in before, the aroma tells you if its time for them to change their fryer grease, you might be a biodiesel nut.

Location: Oklahoma | Registered: June 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
when you stop for dinner on the road with some of the Piedmont Biofuels kids and an argument ensues about whether we should eat at this restaurant, because you think the entire restaurant smells vaguely like high FFA (true story, and the food proved me correct)

when you get your french fries, your first question to your biodieseling dinner companions is,

"what do you think the titration on these fries is?"

Location: Pittsboro, North Carolina | Registered: March 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
when the cops bust in your garage thinking you are running a meth lab and all they end up with is some jugs of liquid glyserin soap to take home (true story)

More on this PLEASE CC

2001 F-250 7.3 Turbo; 2 '90 F-350's, both 7.3, were U-Hauls, bodies cut off..flatbeds now; finally, a 1988 26' INTL, also a surplus U-Haul :-)

Location: Alabama | Registered: October 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:

...You see a guy in a diesel truck doing a smokey burnout in a parking lot on a trip, and casually comment to your passengers that had he been using biodiesel, most of that soot would have been non-existant. You later roll up beside him at a traffic light, roll down your window, and tell him the same. Razz

Oh man, I SOOOO resemble that remark!

ok, here's another...

...when after you've put your screaming kid back to sleep at 3:30 AM you shoot downstairs to check your favorite Biodiesel forum the night after Christmas to see what you've missed (yep, guess what time it is?)

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:

when you get your french fries, your first question to your biodieseling dinner companions is,

"what do you think the titration on these fries is?"

Oh gosh, I've thought that very thing SOOOO many times!!!!

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More

posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the best Christmas Present I got!

Reading through all these proves I'm just as nutty as I thought I was....BUT I HAVE FRIENDS THAT ARE JUST AS NUTTY AS I AM!!!!

I've got tears rolling down my face from the laughter. I'm loving all of it & my head keeps nodding up in down in a "yep, I TOTALLY agree with that one" and "Yep, been there, done that!"

ok, another from me...

...when you've been banned from talking about anything "Biodiesel related" when you're out on a date with your wife because it's "all you ever think about anymore" and for some reason you still slip up because you're in a restaurant and something in there makes you think of Bio.

...when people email from local church groups asking if you'd be interested in their "oil from their last church party" and you get excited that the oil has only been used once! (true story, about 20 gallons are sitting behind the Vanagon right now--beautiful oil too I might add!)

...when you can spot a Fuelmeister 10 feet away and find the nearest person standing next to you and start engaging them in conversation about how big a piece of crap the thing is.

...when your Biodiesel processor is worth more than both of your diesel vehicles put together (ahem...let's just say I resemble this remark...BioPro anyone? Big Grin)

-Graydon

posted Hide Post
quote:
...when your Biodiesel processor is worth more than both of your diesel vehicles put together (ahem...let's just say I resemble this remark...BioPro anyone? )

Yup, and my system is homemade Big Grin This has been a most entertaining thread, great belly bumpin' stuff. It's official, we are all obsessed (in a good way, of course)

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graydon Blair:
[QUOTE]

... after you've put your screaming kid back to sleep at 3:30 AM you shoot downstairs to check your favorite Biodiesel forum the night after Christmas to see what you've missed

Do you qualify if you've changed your bubblewash water at 3am? And the time now is...3.40am....

I was out at the beach selling icecreams last evening (summer here) and suddenly I could smell - biodiesel! (the truck's on neat PD at the moment). Stuck my head out the window and...nope, just a BBQ. But funnily enough just a couple of days ago I decided BBQ was the closest smell to BD I could think of, I wonder what in the cooking process creates that smell?

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
"...I wonder what in the cooking process creates that smell?"
Burning fat/oil.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Ahhh...BBQ!

I've always thought my Isuzu Diesel Pickup smelled like BBQ when it burns Biodiesel. Different diesels smell differently on BD, but my pickup smells A LOT like a BBQ.

ah...got another one..

...when you invite total strangers to come down by your tailpipe on your vehicle & "smell!!!"
(I've been known to do this with TV interviewers, radio hosts, and newspaper journalists as well as anyone else I can get to smell the exhaust. They all come away delightfully surprised)

...when you run a diesel that's older than crap and even when you floor it you still don't emit black clouds of smoke.

posted Hide Post
You know you're a biodiesel nut...

When it's far to cold to process so you market last summer's biodiesel as cologne.

vegoil and biodiesel since May 2006

Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When your vehicle starts attracting domestic and wild animals while the truck is idling at a campsite.

No joke, I had this happen on several occasions last year when I was camping in Olympic National Park. That batch smelled just like BBQ Sweet & Sour Pork from the restaurant where I get my oil.

Probably lead to the sasquatch siting I had later that night.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Location: Utopia Planitia | Registered: February 25, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post