BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    You know your a Biodiesel Nut when....
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 21

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You know your a Biodiesel Nut when....
 Login/Join

posted
So I went downstairs to get my video camera for tomorrow's festivities and noticed it smelled like...well...Biodiesel!

It made me think up another contest.

So, let the Biodiesel Nut Joke Contest begin!

"You know you're a Biodiesel Nut when....

..everything you own smells faintly like Biodiesel.

...your digital camera has more pictures of Biodiesel "stuff" on it than the kids and Birthdays.

...you visit a restaurant, instead of going to eat, you go to "check out the oil".

...on a fancy date at a nice restaurant you find some excuse to wonder into the kitchen and ask the head cook/chef what kind of oil they use (there's a story behind that one, but I'll share it another day).

...whenever you see anyone driving a diesel you find some excuse to stop them and ask them if they've ever heard of Biodiesel.

...the bumper of your car is filled with Biodiesel bumper stickers instead of "my kids an honor student at..."

....your license plate reads "biodszl" or something like that.

....you go to Burger King not for a whopper but to 'pick up their oil'

....you own more T-Shirts that have something to do with Biodiesel on them than any other T-shirt.

...you can strike up a conversation with anyone on the finer points of converting vegetable oil into glycerin.

...you know what words like esterification, transesterification, acid/base method, polymerization, titration, and mist-washing mean.

...your garage floor has at one time or another been covered in waste vegetable oil.

...you own stock in the local kitty litter company (see above)

...your exhaust smells like the local hamburger fast food joint instead of like a normal diesel rig.

...your idea of "stopping up for fuel" at the local gas station only includes buying a hot-dog & soda and snacks.

...your idea of "puttering around in the garage" usually includes adjusting some plumbing on a hot water heater.

...all of your friends think you're a "mad scientist".

...a "day well spent" usually includes filtering oil, picking up oil, making biodiesel, or something like that.

...you have showered with soap made from glycerin from your own Biodiesel production.

...you perk up anytime you hear the words "Canola, Soybean, Peanut Oil" or any other organic oil.

...you have a 55 gallon drum of Glycerin on the side of your house and biodiesel in the tank of your diesel vehicle.

...you've been nicknamed "burger king" by all your neighbors (true story).

...you know where the best place to buy Methanol, Sodium Hydroxide & Potassium Hydroxide are in your city.

...your back yard has more empty grease cartons (those oil carboy's from restaurants) than trash cans.

...your idea of a "good time" includes brewing some Biodiesel with a bunch of other Biodiesel geeks in your garage.

....you say "Anyone up for some brew?" and everyone pulls up in their diesels.

...you can quote the going rate of black steel pipe in your neighborhood.

...Utah Biodiesel Supply, B100 Supply, BiodieselNow, Infopop Biodiesel, and a bunch of other biodiesel websites would show up in your "browser history" file more than any other sites.

...your idea of a 'social life' includes doing a Biodiesel Workshop and a Biodiesel Coop Meeting. (sad, but true for me...)

...you search Northern Tool, Harbor Freight, and McMaster Carr not for cool stuff for your tool shed, but for cool gear you can make Biodiesel with.

...you see a 2 liter Dr. Pepper bottle and it brings back memories of the first time you made Biodiesel.

...you know how to wire an electric water heater with your eyes shut.

...you know the "gel point" of all of the waste vegetable oils behind most of the restaurants in your town.

...you know how to change a fuel filter out in the middle of no-where (and you're DAMN proud of it!).

OK, now it's your turn.
-Graydon

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
your windshield is filthy because you never stop at a gas station

Location: Pittsboro, North Carolina | Registered: March 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you are dreaming of ways to convert glycerin to dog food.

When you have the schedule of your county Hazardous Disposal Site on your PDA.

When your car smells like WVO from the glycerin soap you use to wash it.

Location: KTown - Itch Capital of the World | Registered: June 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
LOL ! Graydon, I have to say that I resemble many of those remarks. How I got my best canola contact was having the other oil pick be closed when I wanted to stop by for a beer after work and so I mentioned we go to a place we had not been to in YEARS. I wasn't at the table 10 minutes that I was asking the waitress what kind of oil they use in the kitchen. The rest is history and continues to be my premier canola contact.
Wash with biodiesel soap - yup
Wash car with biodiesel liquid soap - yup
Get excited whenever a vegetable oil is mentioned - yup
Websites - yup
Day well spent - yup
Digicam - yup
Fancy words - yup
Exhaust smell - oh yup
Oil on floor - yup
Buying chems - yup
NT,HF and MCarr - yup yup and yup.
I've also put some of the liquid soap in the windshield washer container to help cut the road grime. Works very well, about 90ml's (3Oz)/Lt
Does this mean I qualify ? When do I get my "Biodiesel" T shirt ? Big Grin

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
when your idea of a dream program that you wish was on your PDA/smartphone, is a converter that describes biodiesel plant capacity- so you can convert- on the spot- liters per year to metric tons per year to gallons per year...

Location: Pittsboro, North Carolina | Registered: March 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Eagle:
When do I get my "Biodiesel" T shirt ? Big Grin

when the biodiesel-fueled Santa sleigh delivers you one... if you've been good...

posted Hide Post
and, can I also admit...

... when you spend Christmas Eve on the computer talking about biodiesel with anyone who will listen?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by girl mark:
and, can I also admit...

... when you spend Christmas Eve on the computer talking about biodiesel with anyone who will listen?

I'm there.

Here's my contribution:

... when you start looking at the dead gasser car in your yard and going "Now how can I make biodiesel using parts of that?"

Feel free to ask where in left field -that- came from. Big Grin

--There is no Magic Bullet.--

If bigger is safer, buses are safest.
Save yourself, use Transit.

Location: Clemson, SC | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know, I know- you're talking about the dead gasser's water pump?

Mark

posted Hide Post
- When you can't get into your garage because of all the drums of WVO standing around, but that doesnt matter because you have plans to process it ASAP and meanwhile you need to build a dryer because there's 150 litres of BD sitting in the new wash tank right now and oh! you need to build a mist washer and bubble washer not to mention a bigger processor...and it's Christmas???? Since when????

- When you taste the stuff going down the drain because...because...because you want to know if it's got soap in it, or - shock horror - oil!!!

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
..when you ask a certified diesel mechanic what kind of engine will fit the transmission of a Crown Victoria.

..when you surf the net prior to that looking for that same information.

..when you walk out of a home you just appraised and see oil jugs and non-oil jugs lying in the grass, see a yellow liquid in all of them, and haul them away because the landowner is glad to see it go.

..when, a week later, after the above has settled, even though your refinery isn't built yet, you pour it into your vehicle using cloth from your ripped briefs as the filter...and TAKE THAT FIRST DRIVE!!

..when you invite a friend to both of yours favorite doughnut shop with plans to..oh surely you can guess this one.

2001 F-250 7.3 Turbo; 2 '90 F-350's, both 7.3, were U-Hauls, bodies cut off..flatbeds now; finally, a 1988 26' INTL, also a surplus U-Haul :-)

Location: Alabama | Registered: October 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
you read the forums everyday. sometime several times a day.
you read them on Christmas morning before opening presents. Wink

Merry Christmas

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
OK I admit I've been on the forums for the last 3 hours, but I have a excuse. I'm at work today. Have a Merry and Safe Xmas all. Dan

posted Hide Post
... when you're excited for Christmas, because now you have time to install the 24 rolls of insulation in the garage, unthaw, and get back to what we all love doing brewing!!

And of course, reading a little on the board before waking up the rest of the family.

Have a Safe and Merry Christmas

Mark in the Northeast

04 VW Jetta TDI
Biodiesel

posted Hide Post
Can the SVO/WVO guys get in on this, too??

...It's Christmas morning, and you'e on the biodiesel forums instead of playing with the kids.

...You have at least one person a month chase you down in your car(after seeing the bumper stickers), asking about "does that really work?" and "how do you do that?"

...You get excited when you hear a diesel motor, and can hear one 2 blocks away.

1985 Mercedes 300D, sold, Heat exchanger and injector line heaters, all single tank. 1997 E300D Benz ... biodiesel.

Location: Cocoa Beach FL | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the first thing you check when you walk out the door on Christmas morning is the little jar of bio sitting on the deck railing.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When you jump up early on Christmas morning and head into the shop because you had a dream, not about sugar plums, but a new idea for your new processor.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You know you're a biodiesel nut.... when your jeans have a cetane rating of 50 or more...

Merry Christmas everyone.....

Nick

Free collection of waste cooking oil in the Nottingahm area http://wastevegoil.co.uk

Location: Nottingham UK | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
...You've incorporated liquid biodiesel soap into the regular laundry cycle as a stain remover.

...I just found a cheaper place to get chems Wink
this morning (yes!). It is Christmas after all, and I've been good, and I want it and and and I NEED it !
I'm feeling anxious 'cause the place is closed and now I have to wait ... Frown . I did send them an email though, does that count ?

Feliz Navidad.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by girl mark:
I know, I know- you're talking about the dead gasser's water pump?

Mark

Actually, nope! It's a stamped steel water pump, no good. But nice guess. Big Grin

Give you another clue though: it's not actually in my yard, but a neighbor's. 1980-something Rabbit, total rustbucket, long-dead CIS inline four gas engine and the automatic of the day; I think one of the drive axles is actually rusted all the way through, too.

--There is no Magic Bullet.--

If bigger is safer, buses are safest.
Save yourself, use Transit.

Location: Clemson, SC | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post