BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial
 Login/Join

2013 Sponsor
posted
Hi folks,

Girl Mark does not seem to be interested in biodiesel anymore. She let the hosting for her biodiesel sites expire. Graydon has moved the site over to biodieseltutorial.com. This was done only because of an agreement hashed out and agreed to by all the moderators (including Girl Mark) of the CBT over a year ago, before Girl Mark lost interest.

I've just been informed that the Appleseed article has been pulled from the CBT. I expect the CBT to disappear completely in a week or so. The CBT is not copyright. Anyone can post those articles on their own web site.

If you have any articles on the CBT that you would like me to post on make-biodiesel.org, I will. I am willing to do so without posting any advertising on the page with the article. Just let me know. I will not post any without the express written permission of the author and will copyright or copyleft the page as the author desires.

Girl Mark's web sites are gone. B100 Supply is gone. My full time job is completely unrelated to biodiesel. I make enough off the advertising on my pages of make-biodiesel.org to cover hosting and domain name fees indefinately, but not much else.

If there is a demand for it, I will continue the collaborative effort on make-biodiesel.org, including the addition of a writer's forum for a peer review discussion of updates and new articles.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
I expect the CBT to disappear completely in a week or so.

Why ?

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
GM didn't pay her hosting bill.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope someone will either host the CBT or pickup the articles and post them on their site. With the constant influx of newbies on this forum, it would be nice to be able to point them to those articles without having to rehash everything over and over. It could also be a revenue generator. If a user had to see some advertising, so what?

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If Graydon is hosting the CBT, who is canceling it.
Where ever it ends up, it is important to be able to edit the aticles by their Authors. That is unless you want the some of the information to be outdated like "that other site".

There is a math error in the making of a .01N HCl solution on the soap test that GM authored.
Can this be corrected?

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Perhaps another plan would be to have a tutorial section on this forum with all the information from the CBT site. Make it mandatory for new members to at least visit the tutorial section before allowing them to ask questions or make comments.

DD, you could maybe do a new writeup of the soap titration HCL solution with the proper math included. I am sure Andrew wouldn't mind his article(s) being added here and I think DKenny et.al. are still working on a writeup for the new AE process. Just a thought.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Put the CBT on Wikipedia.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Where ever it ends up, it is important to be able to edit the aticles by their Authors.

That was and is a problem with the CBT. I've come up with a solution that will give the authors complete control over their work.

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
If you have published anything on the CBT, please pm me. We have email list set up for those with published material to discuss the future of the CBT.

posted Hide Post
what did it cost to keep the cbt alive as-is or as-was and what would it cost to be able to preserve it on this site?

Location: n.w.ohio | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BURNERPRO:
what did it cost to keep the cbt alive as-is or as-was and what would it cost to be able to preserve it on this site?

It's not much. I don't really care much about that. There are some voices that want to preserve the CBT as is. I'm not one of them. If the site can't keep itself current, correct it's mistakes, and grow with the hobby, then it's no different than JTF. There MUST be some fundamental changes in the CBT or, in my opinion, it's not worth keeping.

Before anything else, there must be a clear, LEGAL group ownership that can withstand changes in the group's roster. Without that, your going to repeat this every year or two, eventually were going to see a big fight for control of the site with no one involved having any legal right to it.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
Put the CBT on Wikipedia.

Or some kind of Wiki. I agree completely.

Kumar Plocher
Yokayo Biofuels
Yokayo Biofuels Facebook page
.........../ \..............
fueling / R \ evolution since 2001
'''''''''''''/____\'''''''''''''''''''

Sustainable Biodiesel...

Location: Ukiah, CA USA | Registered: September 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Administrator
posted Hide Post
We use to have a Collaborative Biodiesel Tutorial in these forums, but it seemed repetative to me so I discontinued it. If there were enough interest I'd be willing to create a new forum specifically for this purpose.

Shaun

16 B100 vehicles
13 Bio-Beetle Rentals
Bio-Beetle Eco Rental Cars
3 Recycling trucks
Maui Recycling Service

Now offering the Nissan Leaf all electric car and the Chevy Volt Plugin hybrid electric car.
EV Car Rentals
Forum members get a 10% discount

Location: Maui, Hawaii | Registered: June 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forum mode is very limited as we've seen time after time. Any linear discussion quickly devolves into personality disorder ramblings, and it becomes increasingly difficult to sift any useful knowledge out of the posturing and arguing. Forums are seldom, if ever, collaborative.

The wiki model is much more effective.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first two posts have links that cover making biodiesel.

The price of fuel will go back up.

Right now we are seeing who the real deal biodiesel diehards are, the real deal biodieselers who are sticking it out.

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Looks like the deadline on the CBT was extended to Jan 30.

Anyone know anything about forming non-profit groups?

posted Hide Post
the CBT is currently back up at it's original url
http://www.biodieselcommunity.org/

Thanks to a collaborative effort (no pun intended) by most of the original authors, GM was contacted and the hosting bill has been paid, and we managed to upload the files from the backup at biodieseltutorial.com the hope now is that we can form some sort of group ownership of a/the domain name so that no one person is holding it, and therefore not keeping up with admin/site offline wont happen again in future.
The next step is to update the CBT and add new articles, but before that can happen a new/easier way to compose/edit/review/publish articles is being sought other than the old www.localb100.com/forum/

we will keep you updated with any developments

1991 Transit Tipper
1991 Mercedes 709D

http://www.wastevegoildacorum.co.uk

The Biodiesel wiki
http://www.biopowered.co.uk/wiki

Location: S.E. England | Registered: September 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess there is still a problem with the "FIX"