Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home
Dog drininks biodiesel

This topic can be found at:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/419605551/m/7537045183

June 22, 2017, 09:06 AM
joeclark
Dog drininks biodiesel
Tried a search on this and couldn't get it to work. Caught him lapping at a spill out on the ground. Will he live?

Please Help
Thanks

3D Video Production
June 22, 2017, 09:25 AM
TDIguy2
My Bluehealer drank gallons of BD with no ill affects. I have taken a sip an had no problems. There was a picture of Darrel Hanna drinking BD on line.
June 22, 2017, 12:34 PM
Ryan P.
Its only if its fresh from reaction and still has methanol in it that might present a problem. Dogs don't usually have a lot of body weight, so the 1-2mL/kg of body weight for a median lethal dose of methanol doesn't require that much.
June 22, 2017, 05:04 PM
Dgs
Isn't it the case that methanol is only poisonous to primates?
June 23, 2017, 07:50 AM
Ryan P.
No,

quote:
When ingested by dogs and cats, methanol poisoning shows similar signs to ethanol (e.g., alcohol) poisoning, and can cause lethargy, walking drunk, vomiting, a low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), and central nervous system depression. In severe cases, a low blood pressure, respiratory failure, and seizures can occur.


But it does look like the lethal dose is probably greater;

quote:
For cats and dogs, methanol is the least toxic of the ingredients [of windshield washer fluid], however, it is very toxic to humans...The toxic dose in dogs is 3.6 gm/lb; the toxic dose in cats has not been determined. If only a small amount is ingested, only mild gastric upset is seen.


"Mild gastric upset"...so, maybe, expect some loose stools from the puppy if there was some methanol in there.