BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Storing Biodiesel Questions

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Storing Biodiesel Questions
 Login/Join

posted
Given the unstable economy I want a small reserve of emergency fuel in case. With a 300 degree plus flash point B100 biodiesel is my fuel of choice to keep me out of conflict w the local fire Dept and my neighbors. I live in St. George Ut. the bottom corner of the state temp changes from the 115 highs to 15 lows in City location. I found a couple used totes those box pallet 275 gallon containers. One states it is a #2 grade plastic didn't find the stamp on the other one yet.

Questions: 1. How much per gallon does biodiesel weigh?

2. Given the # 2 plastic in the container is it compatible with Biodiesel?

3. Any Ideas how long the plastic bladders should last?

4. What to use as a stabilizer?

posted Hide Post
thats what we use to store fuel, no issues yet. We don't keep it that long so not sure about what to tell you about longterm stability other than make sure they are sealed and in an area that is not subject to big temperature fluctuations to avoid condensation

posted Hide Post
Be sure to use a biocide to keep fungus from developing

posted Hide Post
If those plastic totes are stored where the sun can hit them, it will break down the plastic, I have one sitting outside with a crack in the plastic, just from sitting there. I do not know how old it is but if a tarp was put over them, they might last a long time. This tote has been sitting outside for a number of years and the crack is on the top where the sun hits it the most direct.

posted Hide Post
Biodiesel weighs about 0.87 grams per millilitre, that's about 7 pounds 4.17 ounces per gallon.

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
# 2 plastic in the container is it compatible with Biodiesel?

yes, #2 is supposed to be HDPE High Density PolyEthylene

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post