BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Does Settling Bio Require Venting??
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does Settling Bio Require Venting??
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by artesp:

I was also doing the 5% pre-wash. My concern was after introducing the water, is the inline Harbor Freight pump too vigorous? Will it create an emulsion as it circulates another 5 10 minutes? I have never had any problems but always to it with my fingers crossed.

Nah..theres that much glycerine and salts in your mix that it won't emulsify. If you do 2 reactions, add a couple Gals from rxn 1 glyc back in too reaction tank just to be sure...

5 min of pumping is more than enough ive found.

posted Hide Post
do you have to run the pump for the 5% prewash?

I don't. I transfer the bd/gly mix into the wash tank that already has the water.
no mixing after the transfer..I transfer at a give or take rate of 30GPM, for 55 gallon batch.
I also don't add any of the stage 1 glycerin back into the mix.

and sometimes I don't measure so well and use 10% water..

no emulsions..

I would suggest using an over night static wash before other washing methods...yep just let the BD sit on 10% water..10% of the BD volume.

Rick,
do you store your methanol in a sealed drum? if so why not biodiesel/glycerin ? I respect you opinion just trying to understand it.
this is post reaction!!!..I think a reaction should always be vented or with an explosion burst seal.

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post