BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Ford F250 tranny problem

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford F250 tranny problem
 Login/Join

posted
This off the biodiesel topic ,but I thought someone might have the answer. My father has a gas job "83 Ford F250, it's a 3 speed automatic tranny. It has to be reved way up before it shifts and when it does shift it's not smooth. A mechanic replaced the vacuum modulator ,but that didn't help. Any ideas??

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if this is your problem or not but you could try and hook up a vacuum gauge and see what your getting for vacuum. There are several spots where you could have a vacuum leak also, I would just replace all the vac hose with new. Thats what I did on my old Ford 6.9 with 3 speed auto before I hooked up a gauge and discovered it was the vacuum pump that was shot. Smile
My brake light would come on at low RPM and I would loose my power brakes, that's what indicated the problem, but I found it also shifted way smoother and appropriately after I changed the pump and lines, I didnt know what I was missing... Wink
Good luck,
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not sure if this is your problem or not but you could try and hook up a vacuum gauge and see what your getting for vacuum

There's an actual vacuum pump? I'm not a mechanic(I pretend to be,sometimes) I thought that any vacuum came from the intake manifold. I'll have to check the line with a vacuum guage. That would be a simple fix,if its not an internal problem with the tranny. Thanks Jon!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: heatbeater,

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A gas, spark ignition, engine uses manifold vacuum. A diesel engine has a vacuum pump because the intake is wide open, so, no manifold vacuum.

Location: Western NY | Registered: September 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Bob ,i guess I forget about these diesels. Big Grin Sommebody said it might just be some sticking valves in the tranny ,and to use something called Sea Foam tranny cleaner. Also,on the gas engine there's a kick down linkage from the carb,that might have worn bushings.