BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    biodiesel and a reddy heater

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

biodiesel and a reddy heater
 Login/Join

posted
you know the reddy heater that you plug in, they are a big cilinder on top
of a tank. they can burn kero and diesel.....
.....can they also burn biodiesel...was thinking of testing batches in a $100
reddy heater vs testing my batches in my $1500+ 7.3

thanks

95' Ford 7.3 Reg cab.

Location: Philly, Pa | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes you can burn BD in a reddy heater, but it is easier to blend it with kerosene.

Location: Chambodia | Registered: December 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because the ignition point of biodiesel is significantly higher than petro-stinky-diesel or kerosene, some torpedo heaters work better than others. I have had pretty good luck with my "multi-fuel" torpedo heater with the continuous "glow bar" ignition system. Some have a spark ignition system. I would be less confident about that.

You will tend to get more flame-outs on straight bio. It will also be harder to light when it's cold out (like when you need it the most). Mixing with kero is a good idea. If the bio turns into a solid gell in the tank because you stored the heater outside and it got down to 18F, solid fuels don't work in torpedo heaters. Don't ask how I know.

HTH,

troy

Location: north america somewhere close to the midwest, or not | Registered: May 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a thread over on the "Biodiesel for Heating" forum with lots of good info on running a torpedo heater:

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...1078231/m/7251068521

Here's some info about what ajustments you may need to consider:

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/ev...901094942#9901094942

posted Hide Post
thanks for the posts, i would really only be using it as a test subject....i am a realtor and do not need a job site heater.

95' Ford 7.3 Reg cab.

Location: Philly, Pa | Registered: September 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Using bio in the heater isn't going to give a direct comparison to how well it functions in a compression ignition engine. You may make perfectly good fuel for the 7.3 that doesn't function worth a hoot in the heater. I have never used bio in a heater though, just my .02

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I agree with DD.
Use the the 3/27 conversion test and the soap titration along with a 5 micron filter ahead of your fuel tank and you will be good to go.
Burning it in a heater will give no indication of the quality...
Jon

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
well it looked good on paper

again, thanks for the posts

95' Ford 7.3 Reg cab.