Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ford 6l
 Login/Join

posted
I just bought a 2006 F350 6L pickup. Is there any good news as to running B100 in this unit?

Thanks
Dave

posted Hide Post
The 6.0 does very well on B100, I do it every day. Low fuel pressure (what ever the cause) will kill the injectors. Make sure the bio is washed well and change your fuel filters every 10k miles per the manual.

1992 F350 w/Cummins
2004 F250 w/Edge Platinum
both on B100

Location: Webb, MS | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there a aftermaket fuel pump that will work better?
Dave

posted Hide Post
30k miles of b100 on mine. go for it

posted Hide Post
As noted, just watch the fuel filters.. The one under the cab is the primary and also acts as the water trap. Drain plug is in the side. AND!!! it takes a 35mm socket to change that filter, 1/2 inch drive fits the top one. The filters cost $50 a set in most part stores or about $25 shipped on eBay.

Safest option is to add a fuel pressure gauge after the second filter. Port on the side up top and 100 PSI range on the gauge is needed. Check this forum or any powerstroke site for the complete details.

That said, the high pressure engine oil system that drives the injectors will probably fail first anyways. I had a 50 cent O ring blow on a truck last week. There is like a dozen of these used in this fuel system setup. Symptoms are, hot start problems. Was under warranty, a good thing cause the pump is mounted under the intake and it could cost upwards of $3k to fix at Ford if they replace the pump.

After seeing the iner workings of the engine and discussing it with a Ford tech I feel that is the weakest link on the 6.0 by far. Once your over 150k miles, he said grab your wallet Eek

-Ken

Recycling & Green Fuels Research: www.altfuelsgroup.org
Ozone Eating Toys For Big Boys !!: www.suncoastexotics.com
Carefully Maintaining A Carbon Neutral Footprint...

Location: Southeastern Ohio | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
170k on mine now, and my wallets intact Cool

posted Hide Post
I made a mistake on the year of the Ford F350 diesel. It is a 2004, not a 2006. I guess I have heard that the 2004 has problems...

Sorry
Dave
MN

posted Hide Post
2004 is a good year for mine. pm sent

posted Hide Post
There is two different 6.0 engines in 2004. If you open the hood and look at the passenger side valve cover, toward the front, below the alternator, and you see a sensor screwed through the valve cover, you have a 2004.25 with the improved injectors and improved high pressure oil pump. If that sensor isn't there you have the 2003-2004 engine that was more problematic.

1992 F350 w/Cummins
2004 F250 w/Edge Platinum
both on B100

Location: Webb, MS | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is a 2006 F250 and I have run 20,000 thru it without a hitch.

Lisa 2006 Ford F250 6.0L Powerstroke with 12 inch lift

Location: TX | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by biogirlz:
Mine is a 2006 F250 and I have run 20,000 thru it without a hitch.

Was just re-reading this thread. Man, talk about a jinx!

Kumar Plocher
Yokayo Biofuels
Yokayo Biofuels Facebook page
.........../ \..............
fueling / R \ evolution since 2001
'''''''''''''/____\'''''''''''''''''''

Sustainable Biodiesel...

Location: Ukiah, CA USA | Registered: September 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
biogirls not to be a naysayer or mean but i vagly remember a lot of posts in the past about your truck and if that without a hitch than what do you have to say about the floods in new orleans during katrina.the 6.0 is the edsel of 2k and the proof is in the tec- notes and recalls on the motor.after the first 4-5 major issues you had with your truck most common suggestion on your truck was to dump it and get a 7.3 but love keeps you going and i must admit it is a pretty truck.

05 vw golf 17k on b-100
fuopec

Location: angier | Registered: June 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I have a 2006 550, the problems I have experienced are with the EGR valve was replaced twice. The injectors suffer from a problem call strition means the foul on cold starts,http://www.hotshotsecret.com/index.html they sell a product to eliminate this. The fuel pump has failed twice and now I have added a small pump in front of the factory pump. Recently the turbocharger needed part replaced from wear. I’ve put some 25K miles using B100 and I also run Bullydog program, I do get 22% mpg increase and it runs like a scared rabbit!!

Location: St Cloud | Registered: March 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post