BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Centrifuge to wash biodiesel

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Centrifuge to wash biodiesel
 Login/Join

posted
I just got access to this stacked disk centrifuge. I can feed 200L of biodiesel with 100L of wash water in it at a rate of 20L/min. I get total separation of water and biodiesel in about 15 min.

I've taken the washed biodiesel and spun it in a bench top centrifuge and can't see any residual water in the sample. There is still some haze to the biodiesel so I heat it up to ~110 C and allow it to cool and it is clear.

So far I've been performing 3-5 bubble washes before the water is clear. My plan is to speed up the washing process by separating the water with the centrifuge after intense, short-term mixing with a centrifical pump.

I'll try to compress 3-5 "washes" into an 8-hr day and see how it goes. I'm going to start on this experiment tomorrow. Are there any ideas or suggestions that anyone has to further explore the use of this centrifuge?

I realize that most people don't have access to this kind of equipment but for $750 Canadian, it's hard to turn down.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shaun,

Location: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: July 17, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The best idea I can think of would be to send it to me , and I can perform any needed testing and report back as to my findings . Good Find ,
Shannon

Location: Crosby Tx. | Registered: June 14, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Would that I could. I'd like to use it for droping the glycerol, but it's not XP rated for methanol vapors. Note that the centrifuge is located near the exhaust fan for the building. This is the area that we perform non-flam liquid activities when we are not processing. Behind the centrifuge is the control panel for the vacuume pump system.

posted Hide Post
were can i get one & what is the normal price

posted Hide Post
This unit is an Alfa Laval oil water purifier. Wesphalia makes one as well as others. If you search the internet, you can find good deals. I would be guessing and say that a new one would cost ~$35,000. Much like a brand new car, I wouldn't buy one off the lot...

I didn't get to my centrifuge trials today. I was making a fresh batch and got 'hung-up'. I started with 200L of WVO at 12% FFA. I got the FFA down to 0.67% with an acid pre-treatment in one-step as usual. I transesterified using sodium methoxide catalyst at 80%/20% two-step with glycerol splits and boiled off and recovered the methanol. I added 100L of hot tap water and continued agitation for 20 min. I had to stop the process after 8 hrs at this point (had to look after the kids).

I'm looking at the water addition into the reactor as a quench step, to stop the reaction if it wants to go in reverse because I might not have removed all the glycerol before removing the methanol.

I'm trying to process quickly for a number of reasons but the primary one is to try to minimize soap formation. Another reason is to optimize the process. The final reason is simply to see if I can.

Tomorrow I'll reheat the water/FAME mixture and feed it to the centrifuge to separate out the first wash water. I'll then recirculate the recovered FAME while adding wash water through a throttled centrifical pump. I'm hoping that the total water consumption will be similar to 3-bubble washes but faster & cleaner - I'll post my results...

posted Hide Post
So many toys, so little money, so little time...

sigh...

troy

Location: north america somewhere close to the midwest, or not | Registered: May 29, 2004Report This Post

posted Hide Post
In heating the washed BD to 110 C is there a risk of breaking the methyle esters to FFA again?

posted Hide Post
I've asked the question before about the max temp that BD should be heated to but do not know the definitive answer myself. If there was an increase in FFA in the BD, the Acid Value would increase as well. When I titrate the acid value I usually get 0.5 to 0.7 mg KOH / g FAME. The ASTM max for Acid Value is 0.8.

On another front, this photo shows what I ended up making last week. In all my zeal to play with the disk stack centrifuge, I created an impressive oil/water/soap emulsion. I did manage to break the emulsion. I'm trying to figure out why there was so much soap formed. More on that later.

posted Hide Post
Here's the broken emulsion. Although this BD looks good, there is still alot of soap in it. I'm trying the centrifuge on the glycerol/ester phase split today.

posted Hide Post
Yep thats an emulsion well done!

Please explain your steps to break this mess

Biocruiser

posted Hide Post
Hello 'Cruiser, good to see you back on the forum

I plan on being out your way in about a month.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey there Tilly

Nice to here from u I have been keeping up but dont get much time lately to log in and maintain contact

WHAT U COMING WEST I dont believe it !! Let me know so we can meetup and exchan BS

BC