BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    disposing of WVO and methanol

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

disposing of WVO and methanol
 Login/Join

posted
I started messing with bio diesel when diesel was $4/gal in the US and I had just bought a diesel truck

THe price has fallen and the truck is not running and I have moved to a small house.

I need to dispose of about 400 gallons of WVO and half a drum of methanol.

I live in a warm place where the foliage can consume a house in about 15 years. And where I can legally burn large amounts of foliage.

how will WVO and meth breakdown in the soil?

suggestions?

Clueless and curios about bio diesel

posted Hide Post
I'm not sure how long WVO would take to break down in soil but I suspect it would be years. A common use for WVO is livestock feed. If you can't find someone to make biodiesel, maybe you can find a cattle farmer!

Location: Winnipeg, MB | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A pig farmer told me that when he fed vege oil to his pigs they developed "scours." I very much doubt that animals can healthily consume neat oil.

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Methanol is readily biodegradable in both aerobic (oxygen present) and anaerobic (oxygen absent) environments. Methanol will not persist in the environment. The half-life for methanol in groundwater is just one to seven days"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methanol

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It seems like you have answered your own question and should look into (safely) burning all of it off, assuming no one steps up to relieve you of it for their own uses. It goes without saying that methanol is very easy to burn. WVO burns pretty well if added to an existing fire, and burns like mad if you have a way to "aerosolize" it -- i.e., spray it as smaller droplets into a fire barrel by using compressed air, etc.

I once burned off a full 55-gallon barrel of old-nasty-not-worth-converting WVO in just ten or fifteen minutes, just by tossing big slugs of the oil into a burn pit that already had a well-established hot fire going in it. Do be prepared for a lot of heat when the fuel hits the flame...

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
WVO should be processed appropriately before it can be used as feed for animals.