BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Seems very time consuming and hard

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seems very time consuming and hard
 Login/Join

posted
From the little reasearch I have done it seems you need pretty much space a lot of time and have to invest pretty much $ in order to make biodiesel am I correct in thinking this? I am currently running wvo in an 85 M.B. and would like to make an 05 sprinter run on wvo or bio I'm wondering whats easier to put a 2 tank system in the sprinter or make biodiesel? I also have other diesel vehicles and tractors that could run an alternative fuel. It seems like a very time consuming process to make bio with the washing and drying process and all the tanks you need and space. It currently takes me an hr. to clean 10 gallons of wvo with a centerfuge so in 5 hrs. I have 50 gallons ready to burn and I am happy with that time.

posted Hide Post
Its a trade-off. The cost investment to convert a vehicle to run on veggie oil is about the same as a simple biodiesel set-up. But the warmer the climate you live in, the less that cost can be. So if you have multiple vehicles, it becomes cheaper to build a single processor system that can serve all of them rather than convert so many vehicles.

If you have a lot of long drives, its easier to be able to switch over from diesel to veggie oil and back to diesel, for starting and stopping the vehicle to purge the lines of veggie oil. If you take more short trips, its easier to run biodiesel that you can start and stop the vehicle on.

There is a time delay between starting a batch of biodiesel and finishing it, but a lot of that time is hands-off.
You need to be there to load the machine: 10-20min, depending on how you are set-up.
Then you need to be there later when its warmed up to test it and add chemicals: 20-30min.
Then you need to come back and transfer it to settle: 10min.
Then come back to drain the settled glycerine and get it washing: 10min.
In my set-up, I need to come back and switch filters 3 times: 5min x 3 = 15min.

So that's 1 to 1.5hr of actual hands-on time over the course of 1-2 days, based on ambient temperature. Its all faster the hotter it is and slower the colder it is, to a point where its near-impossible when the oil is so thick it would need to be shoveled into the processor.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi yuke,
Yes, as you have figured out it is very time consuming and a total waste of time.
I can not imagine why anyone would bother making biodiesel Wink

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post