New
Find
Notify
Tools

HELP PLEASE
 Login/Join

posted
I am new to biodiesel brewing and have just put my first 120Lt WVO
into a storage tank on the back yard. I connected a pump from the base of the tank to the top and pumped the WVO for an hour to mix all the WVO together. As a result of this pumping I now have a thick creamy crust on top of the oil about two inches thick, have i ruined the oil because of the pumping, or is the oil still O.K? Any advice please.

Thanks Trevor.

posted Hide Post
Pumping the wvo shouldn't have caused a crust on top of the oil. IS it a greasy crust? I didn't look to see where your from ,and wondered if its from cold temps. Is the wvo heated? Has it been filtered thru a screen? You didn't mention anything about adding any chemicals?

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trevor
-sounds like your wvo was very wet and you have created some salad dressing (emulsion) this will break if you let it sit in the sun, or heat the oil. This oil will need to be dryed before you can process it into biodiesel. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi thanks for your fast reply. I live in U.K. very cold at this time around 11c, oils is outside, no heat in tank.
I have not used any chemicals at all, just filtered W.V.O into tank straight from local chip shop, and plumed it around for about an hour, I would say that the crust is greasy. Thanks again for reply Trevor

posted Hide Post
I Tom thanks for reply, I will take any advise regarding this problem, thanks again Trevor

posted Hide Post
At that temperature the PHO and fats in the UVO will solidify and separate. It's best to separate the PHO and fats from the UVO to make cold tolerant biodiesel.
It could also be an emulsion from wet UVO running through the pump. Test the oil to be sure it's dry. Wet oil will cause problems converting it to biodiesel.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Like mentioned above ,wet wvo will cause problems in making bio. I didn't think it was that important when I first started making bio, had to learn the hard way . I made 30 gallons of JELLO. From my experience lye causes more problems if there's water. Of course that's why they use lye and water ,and oils to make soap. Do a hot plate test to check for water , but be careful if you heat the wvo to fast or too hot when doing the test and water is present, the wvo could blow up. The wvo will sit on top of the water and keep it trapped until the water develops enough steam pressure and blow up.

Location: western new york | Registered: November 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do a hot plate test to check for water , but be careful if you heat the wvo to fast or too hot when doing the test and water is present, the wvo could blow up. The wvo will sit on top of the water and keep it trapped until the water develops enough steam pressure and blow up.

Use the 'vapor test' instead, it's safer and easier.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi John thanks for reply,as I am just starting to try and make Biodiesel, may I ask what is the vapor test and how do i perform it. Cheers Trevor.

posted Hide Post
quote:
what is the vapor test and how do i perform it. Cheers Trevor.

Test Methods for Water in VO
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72

2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
Test Methods for Water in VO
http://www.burnveg.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=72

That's actually a really good write up. Nice one John...

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
Thanks Murphy... I can only take credit for compiling others good work. It's an ongoing project so if anyone has other tests to add, then let me know.