BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Methanol Prices?

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Methanol Prices?
 Login/Join

2014 Sponsor

posted
What are you all paying for methanol these days?

Anyone in the Michigan / Ohio area with a price update?

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
Hey ya Murph, long time no type! Bought a tote last week $2.67/gallon, absolute highway robbery, Methanex wholesale price is $1.25 for North America, $1.42/gallon markup.
Oil is through the floor, methanol is synthesized from nat gas, we have that coming out of our ears and methanol pretty much stays high, so as usual we get screwed.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
Well hello.. Haven't had the pleasure of talking to you for quite some time.. Are they screwing you on the hydroxide too or just the methanol? I guess some things never change..

Thanks for the info fabricator...

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA

posted Hide Post
I just received a quote for $2.70 in barrels here in NY. Does anyone think that the price might decline in the near future? I need to replenish my annual six barrels soon but was hoping for a better price.

posted Hide Post
You poor guys, I wonder why it's so expensive over there.

Just collected a few hundred litres yesterday at 33.5 pence/litre.

according to my calculations that's @ 46pence a litre that you guys are paying.

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Dgs,

quote:
Originally posted by Dgs:
Just collected a few hundred litres yesterday at 33.5 pence/litre.
Is Ample Fuel back up and running after their fire or have you found another supplier?

At that price is it "virgin" methanol or recycled/ reclaimed methanol?
I noticed that last year you had posted that Ample fuel sold their virgin methanol for £415/1000 litres

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Hello Tilly,
I see you keep up with the news on the UK Forum, Well Done.

I think it will be a long time (if at all) for Ample to be up and running. (presumably you saw the clips of the fire)

I bought the methanol from Spen Valley biodiesel which is part of Ample and it is virgin (it is the same price I was latterly paying at Ample)

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just started making my Biodiesel with reclaimed methanol last month and have not noticed any difference in the end product. Is the main concern not getting pure enough methanol? I was told what I got was 98%-99%. I purchased reclaimed due to the savings over virgin.

Location: Lansing, Mi. | Registered: October 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi!
Never had a problem getting Methanol before, I would get it from Mississauga On or Ottawa, around $250 for a 55 gal drum and would bring it on a trailer now they want to see my insurance to see if it allows for transportation of dangerous products, since I don't what they want for delivery makes it just too expensive, any information about where I can pick up some ?

I have been making biodiesel for the last 5 years with my bio-pro-190 and I'm considering quitting because of this problem.
Thanks for the attention
Leo

Location: ON | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi lun,

quote:
Originally posted by lun:
I have been making biodiesel for the last 5 years with my bio-pro-190 and I'm considering quitting because of this problem.
Dont Quit! You will never be able to sell your Biopro.
I would check around at the local race track and find out where the "go fast" people are buying their methanol.
I bet they do not need to provide insurance information when they buy methanol. Wink

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will check at the race track, I can get 20 L with no problem paying premium price, but thanks I will check them out
Thanks
Leo

Location: ON | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post