BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    CR Motor oil to protect against BD

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CR Motor oil to protect against BD
 Login/Join

posted
Hello all,

I recently traded one of my Jetta's for a B7 Passat and considering using a blend of 20%-30% BD with the DPF still on the exhaust. When the warranty expires I will be installing a Rawtek exhaust with a Malone tune which will allowing to go as high as 80%-90%.

Either way I remember once reading of an oil company including an additive to their motor to protect against the slough build up in the oil. Does anyone know of a company(s) that have this added protection?

Thanks for taking the time to read my thread.

Evan

Jetta 2002 ; 6 hole nozzles, chip, yellow koni, gli springs, neuspeed RR sway bar, skid plate, SS brakes, TT shifter, TT bushings, GTi FR brakes
Jetta 2006 chipped, Bilstein Sport, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Neuspeed endlinks, DG SS, Evolution skid plate, Eibach RSB, B100

Location: Montreal | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi evanglos,

quote:
Originally posted by evangelos:
to protect against the slough build up in the oil.
I have never heard of a slough build up in the oil and I can not find a reference to it on google.
Please explain what a slough build up in oil is.

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LOL ,

motor oil turns into sludge

Jetta 2002 ; 6 hole nozzles, chip, yellow koni, gli springs, neuspeed RR sway bar, skid plate, SS brakes, TT shifter, TT bushings, GTi FR brakes
Jetta 2006 chipped, Bilstein Sport, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Neuspeed endlinks, DG SS, Evolution skid plate, Eibach RSB, B100

Location: Montreal | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi evanglos,

quote:
Originally posted by evangelos:
LOL ,
motor oil turns into sludge
Do you mean Black Death

According to the site:
"Black sludge build up is usually caused by poorly designed or defective crankcase ventilation systems, low engine operating temperature, faulty injector seals or the presence of water in the engine oil.
Lack of maintenance, in particular engine oil changes or using incorrect engine oil in your vehicle can contribute to this issue"

I do not believe this is a problem when using biodiesel in a vehicles that has an installed DPF.
As I understand it, the concern with using biodiesel in vehicles that have a DPF installed is only with cars that use a late injection of fuel into the combustion chamber to accomplish a regeneration burn in the DPF.
Apparently some of this late injection biodiesel remains unburnt and makes it's way past the rings into the crankcase.
Because biodiesel does not evaporate as readily as petro-diesel once it is in the crankcase there is a concern that the biodiesel will dilute the engine oil and cause lubrication problems.
I am not sure whether this is a real problem or just a problem invented by the oil companies. Wink

I have never heard of an engine oil that is claimed to solve this "problem".

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Tilly,

I think when evangelos refers to 'slough' he actually means slow.

For whatever reason if the bio is passing the rings and mixing with the mineral based oil in the crankcase, it isn't an ideal situation.

There maybe a way to avoid any sludge build-up if this is happening by using a veg based crankcase lubricant. Castrol R perhaps?

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Dgs,
quote:
Originally posted by Dgs:
Hi Tilly,

Really??
I am not sure about that.
Slow is a pretty easy word to spell.
In my experience as a teacher most children/ adults know how to spell slow correctly.
On the other hand slough is also a word.

quote:
For whatever reason if the bio is passing the rings and mixing with the mineral based oil in the crankcase, it isn't an ideal situation.
Indeed, anything blowing past the rings contaminating the engine oil is not an ideal situation.
The concern I have is "does this biodiesel blow-by really occur to any great degree?"
I can recall that in the past I have read the figure of around 50% biodiesel contamination of the crankcase oil when used in an engine with an installed DPF.
If your crankcase oil really contains 50% biodiesel then you should see a huge increase in the oil level on your dip-stick when you check the engine oil.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tilly:
Hi Dgs,
quote:
Originally posted by Dgs:
Hi Tilly,

Really??
I am not sure about that.
Slow is a pretty easy word to spell.
In my experience as a teacher most children/ adults know how to spell slow correctly.
On the other hand slough is also a word.

quote:
Indeed, anything blowing past the rings contaminating the engine oil is not an ideal situation.
The concern I have is "does this blow-by really occur to any great degree?"
I can recall that in the past I have read the figure of around 50% biodiesel contamination of the crankcase oil when used in an engine with an installed DPF.
If your crankcase oil really contains 50% biodiesel then you should see a huge increase in the oil level on your dip-stick when you check the engine oil.

If it's any help, I have done in excess of 80k in my common rail Ford Focus that is fitted with a dpf and not found any abnormal increase/decrease in the oil level, nor does the old engine oil have any smell of bio about it.

Regards

David

Location: Leeds, UK | Registered: April 13, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fuchs make PLANTOMOT 5W-40 vegetable-oil based engine oil.

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
slough (slŭf)...
v.tr.
1. To cast off or shed

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paulus:
Fuchs make PLANTOMOT 5W-40 vegetable-oil based engine oil.

Looks good stuff Paulus but it's £23 per litre!

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember reading about an additive that is added to the crankcase to prevent the oil from polymerizing. It was sold on one of the German veg oil conversion sites. IIRC it was for vo or bd.
Let me know if you are interested in re-locating it.

1-tank Elsbett VW TDI , 220,000 WVO miles.
http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html
and a '92 F-250 with only a FPHE

Location: Ct,USA | Registered: November 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And for what its worth I did run the Fuchs DEA Plantomot ( BioMot ?) for one oil change.
I didn't have a problem before or during with the cc oil running wvo in my TDI, other than some thickening. The Fuchs was hard to get too, went through a wholesaler in the USA, not Germany.

1-tank Elsbett VW TDI , 220,000 WVO miles.
http://ctbiodzl.freeshell.org/votdi.html
and a '92 F-250 with only a FPHE

Location: Ct,USA | Registered: November 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post