BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS






Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Need help troubleshooting failed DP method
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Need help troubleshooting failed DP method
 Login/Join
 
Member
posted Hide Post
The two sucessful batches that I have done only had about 150ml of glycerine in them. I used 250ml of Methonal, is this normal. The instructions say that I should expect 250ml or more.

Also, I washed the last batch and today it was crystal clear. It had a pH of 7.03, I'm assuming that is a good sign.

Don, I think that my first batch may have gotten the slightest bit of water in the mixing vessel. I blew out the inside with a hair dryer, but I think that there may have been some left over moisture. I'm not sure if that contributed to the lump of soap that I was left with.
 
Registered: September 10, 2005Report This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
This is a picture of my completed first batch. It is much lighter than it looks in the picture.

ImageRotation_of_SSCN0581.JPG (31 Kb, 21 downloads)
 
Registered: September 10, 2005Report This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
As I plan to scale up my biodiesel production, I decided to use some of the bigger wash tank designs on a small scale so that I could make my mistakes on a small scale.

This picture is of a bubble washer made from a 32oz mason jar, an air pump that I got from Walmart for $10 and two air stones. We will see how the product turns out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shaun,
 
Registered: September 10, 2005Report This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Hello bbrook

you used 250ml methanol with new oil so there will be very little soap produced..
That would leave approx 100ml methanol in glycerine layer + the glycerine which is less than 100ml so I think you are OK.
A slight amount of water is of no concern.

The lump of soap was probably caused by using too much NaOH.






 
Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Report This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Tilly,

Thanks for all the feedback, you and Dodgeram have made the initial learning curve alot shorter. I do very much appreciate both of your help getting started.

I did order the book that Dodgeram recommended. I am sure that will also speed the curve.

Thanks again,
Brian
 
Registered: September 10, 2005Report This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
On the wash tanks with the bubblers and misters, are the misters give you any advantage that you wouldn't already get with the bubbles?

The testing that I have done with my mini bubbler, I don't see how the misters would be needed unless the water on the bottom wash cycled in a loop with a pump recycling the water from the tank. That seems like it would clog the misters with soap from the wash.

I have read some posts about pre-washing with 5% glycerine. Does that mean that you carry over 5% of the glycerine into the wash tank and then use that with the first wash? Is it an advantage?
 
Registered: September 10, 2005Report This Post



Member
posted Hide Post
Hello bbook

Misting is less likely to form an emulsion, especially in the first wash.
Misting is MUCH quicker.

The "5% glycerine wash" involves adding 5% water by volume of oil to your batch at the end of the reaction and and stirring for another short amount of time.
Then leave the glycerine and water settle out.






 
Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Report This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  

Closed Topic Closed

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Need help troubleshooting failed DP method

© Maui Green Energy 2000 - 2014