BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Why do OEM's only allow B5

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do OEM's only allow B5
 Login/Join

posted
Hey guys.

I'm new to the forum.

Keeping in mind that biodiesel is largely beneficial to diesel engines, why do OEM's only allow B5 under warranty?

Business Development Manager
Green Diesel | 3B Kariga Street | Kaymor Industria | Cape Town
Blayne.oliver@live.com | O +27 21 948 0771 | C +27 (0) 82 696 0201

Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: September 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blayno:
Keeping in mind that biodiesel is largely beneficial to diesel engines...

Science is now suggesting this isn't really the case. I read just recently of one manufacturer whose rebuild schedule is reduced by about 40% if running biodiesel, compared to D2.

Also, ASTM-spec fuel is one thing, and whatever we are all homebrewing is sometimes quite another. Manufacturers have no control over the quality issue, and don't want to be responsible for warranty claims resulting from crap someone might be pouring into his tank.

And finally, a lot of manufacturers are up to higher blends now -- Ford supports B20, there was recently a post that Porsche may be up to B7, etc.

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
Hi John

Firstly, thanks for the reply

Just for clarity:

Are you implying that biodiesel actually isn't beneficial to engines?

I ask as I'm unclear what a rebuild schedule is and how it is related back to biodiesel.

Apologies for being naive, I am in the learning phase of my journey

Business Development Manager
Green Diesel | 3B Kariga Street | Kaymor Industria | Cape Town
Blayne.oliver@live.com | O +27 21 948 0771 | C +27 (0) 82 696 0201

Location: Cape Town, South Africa | Registered: September 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A rebuild schedule is how often a manufacturer recommends tear-down and rebuild of an engine. I am trying to find the article I referenced above. I can't swear to it, but I think it was about the new Detroit Diesel DD5 and DD8 models, designed for light to medium duty trucks. The rebuild schedule was 500,000 miles for diesel fueled engines, and only 350,000 miles for biodiesel fueled engines. Now I'm not an OEM or an engineer, and I didn't stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night, but that tells me that the manufacturer has determined that the engines deal with increased wear when burning biodiesel and thus require more frequent rebuild.

In reality, not many of us that homebrew and use the fuel in small vehicles with comparatively low mileage will reach those numbers, nor do we have enough independent data points to come up with a statistically significant analysis of whether we're improving or deteriorating our engine longevity by using this fuel. Like many other users on this forum, I have driven over 100,000 miles (comparatively nothing) on homemade and commercial biofuel in various vehicles without any engine failures, but that is anecdotal evidence at best.

Cheers, John

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dukegrad98,

posted Hide Post
I don't know about truck & car engines but I've use mostly 100% Biodiesel in my farm tractors for hundreds of hours and I haven't encountered any issues.
However, what we do know is that there has been a concerted effort by the petroleum industry and the automobile industry to deliberately obstruct the adoption of alternative fuels. This was particularly apparent with ethanol with this continual complaining about ethanol ruining engines.
It wouldn't surprise me in the least if the engine makers lowered the rebuild cycle as one more impediment to biodiesel.

posted Hide Post
Hi dukegrad98,

quote:
Originally posted by dukegrad98:
A rebuild schedule is how often a manufacturer recommends tear-down and rebuild of an engine.
I have never run into the idea that manufacturers have a recommended tear-down and rebuild schedule for their diesel engines
I can not find any mention of this type of schedule on the internet for Detroit Diesel.

I thought people just used the engines and fixed them when they broke

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I haven't heard of a scheduled rebuild on a road vehicle built in the last 50 years. Not that I know of every vehicle ever made but.....

The last one I did see the service schedule for was an Iveco truck. It was WARRANTED for 1Million KM as long as the 14L of oil and the filter was changed every 100,000Km. There was not "Tear down and rebuild at XXXX hours" that I saw.

Things like railway locomotives, industrial generators, pumps and things of that nature in stationary engine will have a rebuild schedule for critical use the same as aircraft engines have TBO's but I don't think too many cars or trucks have rebuild schedules now.

The general consensus I have heard is to get rid of said vehicles before a certain age/mileage so you avoid having to rebuild them rather than plan on it.

When the engines go on a lot of modern vehicles, the rest is too tired and worn out to make rebuilding the engine viable anyway.