BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Cheap vehicle filter

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Cheap vehicle filter
 Login/Join

posted
In my lookings I came across Mr Williams (in NSW Australia) who makes a replacement filter housing for 4 wheel drives which allows you to buy and replace your fuel filter at, in my case $4.30AU a pop; basically because you can fit cheap generic filters instead of genuine.

I was going to use this instead of putting an extra filter unit before the original when I was going to make BD and blend Vegie oils which I now cannot do due to the legal implications in Australia of such.

However at $55.00AU for a genuine filter in my case I decided to buy it anyway. Certainly save those fuel pressure problems for someone considering putting in an extra fuel filter unit.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Shaun,

Location: west of the black stump (sometimes) | Registered: September 04, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would someone go to the trouble of making an adaptor/filter head for this application, when its easier just to change the whole thing over--and cheaper, with Delphi/Lucas/CAV OEM parts!
The standard Lucas CAV filter arrangement, even in Aus, should be cheaper than that, they are available in the UK quite reasonably, and a choice of types some with primer pump, long or short filter cartridge, aggromulator bottom, (glass bowl) etc etc!--Even ones in stereo--Two parallelled filters,fitted to a common head-- normally found on old Leyland busses--Great for those who dont like changing filters too often like me!
Water heated bases are also available--but these are expensive new, but fitted to Pug 309 in the UK.--easy from a vehicle breakers here.

www.doctordiesel.co.uk

--------------------------
www.doctordiesel.co.uk

"As for testing, know now that----
only mechanisms built by bunglers require testing.---
Properly-built machines work properly." 'Doc' Smith.

Location: Swansea, U.K. | Registered: March 09, 2002Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by High Compression II:
Why would someone go to the trouble of making an adaptor/filter head for this application, when its easier just to change the whole thing over--and cheaper, with Delphi/Lucas/CAV OEM parts!

Well HC, Our pricing of spare parts has been the subject of 2 parlimentary inquiries that I can think of and still it is a mess. I will admit that not knowing what replacment filters are cheaper and not having the time to find out and then go looking in the the wreckers yard is an impediment; but I have a real job; I thought the information might be advantageous to others in the forum and so I posted it. You must admit that you are also very mechanically minded and something simple to you is not necessarily so to all others.

No its not easier, much harder in fact; you actually have to get tools out and use them to substitute another filter housing, I changed over to William's device by hand only.
quote:
The standard Lucas CAV filter arrangement, even in Aus, should be cheaper than that, they are available in the UK quite reasonably, and a choice of types some with primer pump, long or short filter cartridge, aggromulator bottom, (glass bowl) etc etc!--Even ones in stereo--Two parallelled filters,fitted to a common head-- normally found on old Leyland busses--Great for those who dont like changing filters too often like me!

For some of us a 10 year old car is new and we don't necessarily want to go hacking it up and there is a certain pride to being able to rectify your vehicle to the standard factory default at short notice. (I consider myself a stealth mechanic in this regard but perhaps being a lawyer has something to do with that attitude?)
quote:
Water heated bases are also available--but these are expensive new, but fitted to Pug 309 in the UK.--easy from a vehicle breakers here.

Proly not here. We are the lucky country as far as relative temperatures go and do not have such vehicle mods.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Thebushpig,

Location: west of the black stump (sometimes) | Registered: September 04, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
My pug 205 has water heated base also. prob cheap from breakers as they made a lot of them.

mathematical elegance -- desired result achieved with minimal complication

Location: Manchester UK | Registered: June 03, 2003Report This Post