BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Rick's Link of the Day
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 14

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rick's Link of the Day
 Login/Join

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Today's link is the Propel Fuels Blog. Unlike most alternative fuel blogs, it's still active and relevant with original content.

Propel Fuels Blog

Rick

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by andyman:
that other dpf article isn't working.

Sorry, it's working for me. It goes to the Triangle Biofuels Blog and is an article that uses the same NREL document as it's source reference as the Oasis Biofuels Post. I like the Oasis Biofuels article a little better as it seems more direct and to the point.

Both articles used this as a reference:
http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy09osti/44833.pdf

Rick

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
I've been doing a bit of research lately and ran across this document

Saturated monoglyceride effects on low-temperature performance of biodiesel blends

This is some of the most recent research published on biodiesel. To paraphrase the conclusion:
Saturated MonoGlycerides are bad bad bad in winter. They have a greater impact, ounce for ounce on cloud point than saturated FAME. When the content of Saturated MonoGlycerides is between 0.01% and 0.03% there can be unexpected filter plugging above the cloud point temperature. And finally, when Saturated Monoglycerides crystalyze, they form an unstable "alpha" crystal structure. when heated, this "alpha" crystal structure changes to a less soluble, stable "Beta" crystal structure and plug up fuel filters.

Rick

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
A gem of a post from the archives:

Titrating Accurately

Rick

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Making biodiesel using Enzymes is one of the newest areas of biodiesel research

Enzymatic Process for Biodiesel and Biobased Material Production

Rick

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
The sustainable biodiesel alliance has a short pdf file called:

The SBA Good Book of Biodiesel

It contains blending charts for soy biodiesel, canola biodiesel, WVO biodiesel, and animal fat biodiesel. These charts give you an approximate cloud point for various blends of these fuels.

Rick

edit: Redirected web to the wayback machine since the link to the pdf was broken.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RickDaTech,

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Today's link is to a blog post on Blue Planet Green Living about Green World Biofuels. That would be a company run by TDI_Steve making biodiesel processors.

The Ester Machine

Rick

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Blue Sun Biodiesel announced on Jan 16, 2014 that their Joseph MO plant is now using enzymatic biodiesel processing technology.

Blue Sun Press Release

Rick

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Before Cytoculture brought you the pHLip test for biodiesel, they published

Technical Handbook for Marine Biodiesel

Rick

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Optimization of base catalyzed transesterification of peanut oil biodiesel

Mushtaq Ahmad*, Sofia Rashid, Mir Ajab Khan, Muhammad Zafar, Shazia Sultana and Sobia Gulzar
Biofuel and Biodiversity Laboratory, Department of Plant Sciences, Quaid-i-Azam University, Islamabad, Pakistan.
Accepted 12 December, 2008

Rick

posted Hide Post
I believe the post "titrating accurately" is not exactly correct. The time for a complete neutralization reaction is not mentioned. I reacted potassium hydroxide dissolved in anhydrous isopropanol with stearic acid. After 20 minutes it was still warm indicating an exothermic reaction was still occurring. Titrating the ffa content of vegetable oil has a time and reaction temperature consideration that goes with it. I'm just saying the description of how to do it "accurately" is a little bit wrong. When I titrate the vegetable oil I wait at least 30 seconds before considering that I've added enough titrating fluid. Thanks

Location: Texas | Registered: April 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Today's link is to one of my websites. This is Tim c cook's system for treating really nasty oil.

Water Washing WVO with Baking Soda

Rick

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
The NBB annual conference as last week. check out their blog to find out what the NBB thought of their conference

National Biodiesel Conference & Expo Blog

Rick

posted Hide Post
Terrific ideas people come up with. Thanks Tim, and thanks Rick for bringing these to our attention.

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
The UK forum has been upgraded and moved to a new URL;

Vegetable Oil Diesel Forum

Rick

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RickDaTech,

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
The Collaborative Biodiesel Project is a student-led initiative at Appalachian State University. The purpose of the project is to create a closed loop biodiesel processing facility that provides for its own energy needs, and recycles its waste products.

Collaborative Biodiesel Project

Rick

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Today's link is a little bit off topic. We've had a couple of threads on the topic in the past, and this is a good article.

Wood gas vehicles: firewood in the fuel tank

Rick

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post