BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Do you pick up oil from McDonalds?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you pick up oil from McDonalds?
 Login/Join

posted
Just wondering who picks up WVO at McDonalds? And if you do what titration number or %FFA is the oil? Just curious as I want to compare it to what my findings are.

Location: Northern Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I've tested oil from local McDonalds in Utah a few times and in all cases it titrated above 10.

The last time I tested some it titrated almost into the 20's.
I titrate with a KOH based titration solution.

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
do they use clear or creamy oil?

posted Hide Post
I have a friend who works for an oil recycler. On several occasions he has given me oil from McDonalds. It was some of the best oil I had.

The oil is a blend of non hydrogenated vegetable oils

Location: Southside | Registered: January 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The oil I tested most recently from a Utah McDonalds didn't look to be creamy.

It's the oil I tested the centrifuge with.
It did have a lot of water in it though and smelled really bad.

Not "rancid" bad, just "really well used" bad.

-Graydon

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ya thats what I though. The oil from my local Mc'Ds is high enough. It titrated at about 25Koh. Thats too bad because they have ALOT of oil. I could de an acid wash... but thats just alot of work that I don't feel like doing right now.

Location: Northern Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I'm not eating any more fries from McDonald's!

posted Hide Post
Prior to this, did you think it was healthy?

Andrew

http://biodieselcommunity.org
03 Dodge 2500 B100 homebrew
79 Rabbit B100 homebrew

Location: Northern California | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
ROTFL

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You would think big chains like this would have some sort of system to make shure they always cook with good oil. All they need it PH test strips. Oh wait... most people ther wouldn't understand how to use them.

posted Hide Post
Many restaurants have installed a special filtration system that allows them to use the oil longer without imparting a bad taste to the food, unfortunately the filtration system does nothing to lower the ffa level in the oil, and the longer it is used the higher the ffa will be. Two restaurants I pick up from are installing these systems, and I am told by the owners it will cut there oil use by half.!!! Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No
quote:
All they need it PH test strips.

pH test strips don't work with oil. Remember that's why we use isopropyl alcohol to titrate WVO with.

When I worked at the McDonalds here the procedure was to filter the oil every night and use it for a week before changing. Might have changed since then.

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by timnmatty:
I'm not eating any more fries from McDonald's!

Watch the movie "Food Inc"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
quote:
ROTFL

Oh crap, is that ever funny Big Grin

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello all,
Just a quick comment about the McD's oil here in Western,Mass.As was stated before alot of the high volume restaurants use a filtrtion system to extend oil life. This does not treat the FFA content, which means as the FFA content grows this will produce more cholesterol in the fries and fish fillet,(if that is what the square thingy is..)LOL!
But it will not impart the burnt or overuse taste to the products that are deep fried.
My next door neighbor that installs the fire suppresion systems in these restaurants gave the whats up.
Regards,
JoeD

Location: Western Mass. | Registered: March 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cooking for over 30 years I am well aware that health and fried foods do not go hand in hand. To me it is simply the grossness of using old burnt up oil for longer periods of time. We use filtration systems daily on all of our fryers. The filtration system helps remove food particles that would otherwise remain in the grease and simply burn to crap, causing an unwanted taste of the future foods to be fried. As far as it doubling the "life" of the oil, I have yet to see that happen. The big question is exactly what is the life of an oil. We use only canola oil because hydrgenated oils can mask the true flavors of foods in some cases. We prefer to fry with the canola oil to bring out the natural flavor of the food we are frying. Some people use a color type test where they compare the color of the used oil to a chart or a sample of used oil in a tube. My experience is that the oil needs to be changed long before that color is reached. With the fryer full of oil, if we can no longer see the bottom of the basket as it sits in the grease, it needs to be changed. This procedure results in oil being titrated between 2.0 and 2.5 as well as assuring the food we are frying does not have an off taste. Unfortunately people in this economy are trying to squeeze every penny out of their dollar, even if it means sacrificing some quality which we refuse to do.
In closing, I will continue to eat fries from our fryers daily!

posted Hide Post
quote:
FFA content grows this will produce more cholesterol in the fries and fish fillet,

Not to lecture, but...

I think FFA and cholesterol are separate matters. FFA is a highly reactive chemical compound, and from what I gather, a leading source of free radicals, which bring about aging. Very oxidative, from what I understand. So, drink more red wine, and eat less fried foods, especially if the oil is over heated or over used.

My 2 cents.

Andrew

79 Rabbit B100 homebrew

Location: Northern California | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gabrielchartrand:
You would think big chains like this would have some sort of system to make shure they always cook with good oil....
I wouldn't expect a big franchise like McD's to do anything but get the most use they possibly could from the oil. They don't need to be concerned since most of their customers couldn't tell the difference anyway and don't eat there for a high quality meal.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The goal of a corporation is to make as much $ as possible for the shareholders. That is the legal duty of the board and the officers of the company. Acting in a way that cares for the the public, unless it is designed to increase profits, would be (technically) illegal.

As long as there are no regs on how high FFA can go, it is a Buyer Beware situation. Most buyers know the food is bad for them. Perhaps not specifically how it is bad and how bad it is, but that it is bad. I am not asking for regs. Just describing how it works. My POV anyway.

Andrew

79 Rabbit B100 homebrew

posted Hide Post
With oil that bad they might as well put deep fried ass on the menu!