BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Now this is a diesel

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Now this is a diesel
 Login/Join

posted
Just for kicks check out this link.

[URL=http://people.bath.ac.uk/ccsshb/12cyl/]

Regards, Tim

Location: Central Oregon | Registered: May 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if it would run on bio? Eek

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Click here.
quote:
Even at its most efficient power setting, the big 14 consumes 1,660 gallons of heavy fuel oil per hour.

If it'll burn heavy fuel (bunker ?) it would most likely do well on straight veggie, but would require an ongoing contract with every Humpty Dumpty plant on the planet ... Big Grin

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was thinking about converting my Fiat...

Think of the benefits of jumping from 20 hp to 7780 hp.
But, I fear that the 7780 TON weight would squash my poor little car.

Is that really TONS???

Compare that to the much more nimble 28 cylinder R-4360 from WWW-II weighing in at about 3,800 lbs with a HP rating of 4,300 HP.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratt_%26_Whitney_R-4360

And I presume that is even dwarfed by some of the modern turbines.

-------------------------

Oops, I was reading that again..
7780 HP for Each Cylinder...
108,920 hp at 102 rpm for the 14 cylinder version.

Ok...
Now that makes sense...
So, each cylinder is about twice as powerful as the entire Pratt & Whitney engine. But, it is unlikely we'll ever see this one airborne any time soon.

-------------------------

I suppose a better comparison...
If I was looking for an engine that big, perhaps a better option would be a Nimitz Class Carrier Engine...

Powered by its own Nuclear Reactor, and
TWO - GE PWR A4W/A1G - 194MW electric engines for a total of about 260,000 HP.
And, doesn't require gas.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen it on TV. Went into some sort of a super container ship.

That'd be a lot of glycerol byproduct.

posted Hide Post
Those engines will run on WVO, there is no need to waste time and energy converting it into biodiesel. They run on bunkerC oil which is the cheapest liquid fuel, it's a plentiful byproduct of oil refining and it's cheap. It's highly unlikely that anyone could produce BD at a price competitive with bunkerC by the ton.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I opted for the dingy...

Picked this 21' Ultimate Warlock up off eBay last month to use for promotional purposes [maybe some pleasure too]. It's already been tested on Biodiesel and featured in a couple magazine write ups a while back. PPE built this in 06 as a research project along with GM to test the Duramax platform in marine environments. They have converted a few more boats since, but from what I'm told she is the fastest diesel boat to roll out of that shop, and in contention for overall fastest diesel powered boat.

Specs: 650hp - 1300lbs torque, 36 pitch prop, top speed in the mid 90's and she can average 8.2 mpg at cruising speeds. B100 data to come soon.

Now if I can just get it from central California to Ohio we can go play..

-Ken

Recycling & Green Fuels Research: www.altfuelsgroup.org
Ozone Eating Toys For Big Boys !!: www.suncoastexotics.com
Carefully Maintaining A Carbon Neutral Footprint...

Location: Southeastern Ohio | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Imagine the smell of the exhaust if this guy was running on B100 from waste fryer oils!

posted Hide Post
Question:

What kind of lathe/machine would they use to turn pistons of that size? or bore out the cylinders

posted Hide Post
A very big one!

-Ken

Location: Southeastern Ohio | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Location: Wellington County, Ontario Canada | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
top speed in the mid 90's

knots or MPH?

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That's MPH. Did 78 on the first test run back in 06.

-Ken