BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Why 2007 & Newer ULSD Emission Vehicles Don't Like Biodiesel
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 33

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why 2007 & Newer ULSD Emission Vehicles Don't Like Biodiesel
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Fabricator,
I couldn't agree more! Now lets see if all that "talk" that we all heard over the last couple years leading up to the new folks sitting in the white house, senate, and house are going to live up to what they claimed.

That & it sure would help if you write your local lawmakers & voice your opinions as well...

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

-Graydon

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graydon Blair:
Fabricator,
I couldn't agree more! Now lets see if all that "talk" that we all heard over the last couple years leading up to the new folks sitting in the white house, senate, and house are going to live up to what they claimed.

That & it sure would help if you write your local lawmakers & voice your opinions as well...

http://www.senate.gov/general/contact_information/senators_cfm.cfm

-Graydon

I went to elementary and high school with my local state Rep, I think he is starting to wish he never heard of me Big Grin

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Biodiesel Particles Facilitate Diesel Particulate Filter Regeneration
19 July 2006
A new study by a team of researchers found that the characteristics of particulate matter resulting from the combustion of 100% biodiesel fuel should facilitate the regeneration of diesel particulate filters (DPF).

In a paper published in Environmental Science and Technology, the team examines the characteristics of diesel particulate emissions and the kinetics of exhaust particle oxidation to estimate the change in regeneration behavior.

The study used a 1996 John Deere off-highway engine fueled with 100% soy biodiesel (B100).

Compared to standard D2 fuel, this B100 reduced particle size, number, and volume in the accumulation mode where most of the particle mass is found. At 75% load, number decreased by 38%, DGN decreased from 80 to 62 nm, and volume decreased by 82%.

Part of this decrease is likely associated with the fact that the particles were more easily oxidized. Arrhenius parameters for the biodiesel fuel showed a 2-3 times greater frequency factor and ~6 times higher oxidation rate compared to regular diesel fuel in the range of 700-825° C.

They conclude that the faster oxidation kinetics should facilitate regeneration when used with a DPF.

Resources:

“Characteristics of SME Biodiesel-Fueled Diesel Particle Emissions and the Kinetics of Oxidation”; Heejung Jung, David B. Kittelson, and Michael R. Zachariah; Environ. Sci. Technol., ASAP Article 10.1021/es0515452 S0013-936X(05)01545-2

posted Hide Post
NREL research finds another ULSD/biodiesel benefit
By Joe Jobe

Recently, the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) revealed results that show another way biodiesel can help enhance the performance of ultra-low-sulfur diesel (ULSD) fuels. The National Biodiesel Board (NBB) is participating in this research through support from the soybean farmer checkoff program.

As the on-highway ULSD mandate goes into effect this month, test data is demonstrating that B5 and B20 may help solve a problem for ULSD use in 2007 ceramic diesel particulate filters. It is well-known that biodiesel helps solve the lubricity problem in ULSD; now there is strong evidence that biodiesel can help make the coming after-treatment devices work better as well.

The U.S. EPA’s sulfur reduction in on-road diesel fuel was implemented specifically to allow the use of particulate matter (PM) and NOx catalyst equipment that would otherwise be fouled by the sulfur in diesel fuel. However, surprising results are being discovered with the new diesel particulate filters (DPF), which will be required on all new diesel engines beginning in 2007.

The DPF filters all the particulate matter—or soot—out of the vehicle’s exhaust, reducing PM emissions to well below one-tenth of today’s levels. The soot trapped on the DPF is burned when the engine is operating at a high-exhaust temperature condition (high speed and load). For some engines, the exhaust never gets hot enough for soot combustion. This causes an increased “back pressure” in the engine exhaust system. The NREL/NBB study has demonstrated that when biodiesel is blended with ULSD at 5 percent or 20 percent, the required temperature for soot combustion is much lower. So, with biodiesel blends, there is less chance of the DPF plugging with soot and having to be cleaned or replaced.

Figure 1 shows the back-pressure phenomenon of ULSD represented in the blue line. B5, represented in red, reduces back pressure significantly; while B20, represented in green, reduces back pressuring even further.

In addition to reducing the back pressure and lubricity issues, emissions data with the new particulate filters show further significant reductions of PM using B20. Figure 2 shows that on this engine, B20 (green) provides a 25 percent reduction in PM over ULSD without the DPF. A surprising discovery was that with the DPF in place, B20 provided an additional 67 percent reduction of PM beyond what the ULSD (blue) provided.

These findings offer dramatic opportunities for biodiesel to further enhance performance in the new diesel engines and the new ULSD fuels. The NBB and original equipment manufacturers (OEM) are gathering additional data to further confirm these findings. The NBB looks forward to continuing work with NREL and the OEMs to forge the technical path forward for the new transportation landscape.

posted Hide Post
The DPF system Does do its job. they just did not think of the use of Bio over B-5 currently they are not mandated to until a State puts out legislation Forcing the issue. You are all right we must start talking to Reps if they will listen. Most don't understand and have to be educated. I had to learn that the hard way Wait till they add DEF (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) Aqueous Urea used in SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction). Doge and Mercedes all ready use it and call it Blue Tech. Aqueous Urea (DEF)also called Add blue has been used in Europe since 2005. It is not a bad exhaust additive technology. It does not reduce power and reduces NoX by 90%. The only draw back is that it is commodity traded and the price fluctuates because of it. It normally costs 50% less then Diesel however it is still an added cost. but you only have to fill up every 3000 miles or more.

1999 F-250 Running B-50 and getting over 24 miles per Gallon. and getting +/- 380 ftlbs of torque from modifications HA HA HEH! OOH! RAH! Semper Fi!

Location: Redding | Registered: December 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another quick fact now that we reduced the particulate to very small particles. It used to fall to the ground, and was big enough that your nose turned it into a big BOOGER and came out. Does it now get into your blood stream because of its size? Some thing to think about!

1999 F-250 Running B-50 and getting over 24 miles per Gallon. and getting +/- 380 ftlbs of torque from modifications HA HA HEH! OOH! RAH! Semper Fi!

Location: Redding | Registered: December 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I wonder if a class action lawsuit could be filed against the government for mandating standards that decrease engine proformance and lower mileage and the manufacturers for building it?

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Another quick fact now that we reduced the particulate to very small particles. It used to fall to the ground, and was big enough that your nose turned it into a big BOOGER and came out. Does it now get into your blood stream because of its size? Some thing to think about!

Just like the introduction of filters on cigarettes: ended up being a total mareketing ploy because all the filters did was only let the even smaller particles though which could make their way even further into your lungs.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan P.:
quote:

Just like the introduction of filters on cigarettes: ended up being a total marketing ploy because all the filters did was only let the even smaller particles though which could make their way even further into your lungs.

I have always found it amazing that it is legal to make, market, and sell CANCER STICKS in the USA. Yet, a person can be criminally prosecuted for things such as personally choosing not to wear a seat belt when driving to the corner store.

Of course, the filter thing wasn't fully understood without long-term epidemiological studies, some of which were hidden from the public.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fabricator:
I wonder if a class action lawsuit could be filed against the government for mandating standards that decrease engine performance and lower mileage and the manufacturers for building it?

Right now the EPA doesn't officially recognize CO2 as a Pollutant.

I'm not sure what angle one would take on such a lawsuit.
  • CO2 is in fact a pollutant, and thus the EPA is mandating greater pollution. This would be a hard angle until EPA changes their policies.
  • Individuals personally harmed by increased fuel expenses. This might be easiest to prove if there are documented EPA Mileage differences between say similar 97 and 98 model vehicles. And, say if one calculated over 100,000 miles, people would spend an extra $1000 worth of fuel. Then this would certainly be something. Of course, it is an OPTION to buy the new model.
  • Impact on society of greater fuel consumption. This would be difficult to calculate. But, with the basic law of supply and demand, prices go up when fuel consumption goes up.

So, what about suing EPA/DOT for prohibiting me from purchasing an 80MPG VW Lupo?

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
all the filters did was only let the even smaller particles though which could make their way even further into your lungs.

Uh, weren't the smaller particles getting through anyway without the filters?

posted Hide Post
When I removed my muffler to install a straight pipe, I notice my DPF seemed to be missing all the ceramic catalytic material inside of it.. Maybe I should go get it replaced since they are under a mandatory 100k warranty thanks to our gov.

Or, maybe I'll forget to do it since I run clean burning B100 most of the time. Sure makes the 6.0L powerstokes sound good out of a factory pipe, and it picked up 1.5 mpg with no chip added.

As most of you know a 200k mile diesel on B100 will pass a sniff test with better numbers than any showroom 09 on dino D. I have lower EGT's and the mileage equaled back out to just a bit better than what I'd be getting on regular diesel fuel.

Now what was I going to fix again...

Roll Eyes

Recycling & Green Fuels Research: www.altfuelsgroup.org
Ozone Eating Toys For Big Boys !!: www.suncoastexotics.com
Carefully Maintaining A Carbon Neutral Footprint...

Location: Southeastern Ohio | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Kenr34,

What year 6.0 came with a DPF?

Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stevep:
Kenr34,

What year 6.0 came with a DPF?

I believe from 03, mine is 04. Looks just like a BIG catalytic converter inside and out. But after doing an online search I found this at wikipedia.

This engine is still being utilized in the E-series until the end of the 2009 calendar year. The engine is the same configuration as the 2007 YM with a diesel particulate filter added to the exhaust system.

So maybe the 6.0 just has a CAT, I'd have to look closer at one to see what the dif is ..

-Ken

Location: Southeastern Ohio | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK, that's what I thought you were talking about. I think it is a catalytic converter, not a DPF. But I am no mechanic.

Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yup, according to the powerstroke forums, the DPF didn't come about till the 6.4L release and is after the CAT and before the muffler.

Contains an EGT sensor that feeds the computer details to help control regen functions. SCT has a release for their programmer to turn it on or off, comes with or without a delete pipe.

-Ken

posted Hide Post
I'm still calling BS on this issue. These hucksters are claiming that the biodiesel won't vaporize in the cylinder post combustion, will fall out of solution and then slide past the rings to dilute the oil. The very act of forcing the high pressure liquid through the small orifice of the injector will vaporize any liquid fuel used.

I think this is just the industry protecting an emissions control system and new fuel formulation they've spend time and money on.

Location: Hampton, Va | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Polymerization has been proven to happen this way.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fabricator:
Polymerization has been proven to happen this way.

By injecting it into a cylinder? I don't know what you mean.

Location: Hampton, Va | Registered: May 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My ford manual says all fuels, ULSD, off road diesel, #2 heating oil and Biodiesel, will all leak past the rings in post combustion injection. The problem is not isolated to Biodiesel alone. It may happen faster with Bio, but all fuels leak past the rings.

It goes on to suggest that owners make regular oil changes in order to counteract the engine oil dilution. Further, if you haul or tow, oil changes should be performed every 5,000 miles. Plenty of folks have drained their oil only to find that the volume has grown by a quart or more.

I’ll break out the manual and give you the exact passages.

2004 Dodge 3500 Cummins - 2008 F-350 w/ DPF delete - Four Farm Tractors - Two Homes. All on B100

Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post