BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Why 2007 & Newer ULSD Emission Vehicles Don't Like Biodiesel
Page 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why 2007 & Newer ULSD Emission Vehicles Don't Like Biodiesel
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
shouldn't be any loading on the highway at operating temp.

how about a simple formula:

(if % highway > 50%)
%bd = % highway driving

when driven properly, i think b100 is possible in any (diesel) vehicle. definitely have to know what your doing tho. bd has its limits (viscosity, flash point, oxidative stability), but if you understand them, then it certainly is possible to work around them.

an egt gauge might be useful. i hypothesize that loading would occur primarily below a certain temperature. keep the temp up as much as possible to maximize chances of success. maximal loading would occur during cold start, so this must be dealt with during the subsequent drive.

Location: PEI, Canada | Registered: September 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Simple Fuels:
DPF loading is exactly in line with what others with similar mileage report on tdiclub.

i assume this DPF loading is not a measured value, but an inferred value from an algorithm based on empirical work done by vw with ULSD. so, the computer is just measuring operating conditions like exhaust temperature and "guessing" at soot loads.

so "DPF loading" would be irrelevant to fuel composition, which is why it is in line with what others have seen.

of course real DPF loading is 100% relevant to fuel composition. as far as i know, loading should be less with b100 and the passive regen temperature is also quite a bit lower.

if the regens were only based on actual loading (a pressure difference across dpf), then you could have few if any regens ever with proper driving. loading during cold starts and idling would be passively burned off.

Location: PEI, Canada | Registered: September 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronny:

"Completely legal"? I think you fellows need to do a little closer research.

From the most popular diesel tuning software. http://www.efilive.com/legal

Outside of the USA (in Australia for example), the diesel fuel commonly available clogs the DPF under towing loads faster than the soot can be burnt off. It is a serious problem when the engine drops into limp mode due to a blocked DPF and strands you literally in the middle of nowhere. The only solution for Duramax truck owners in Australia is to remove the DOC and DPF, then re-tune the ECM to prevent limp mode after those items have been removed. There is also a large Duramax engine conversion market for marine use: nobody wants a red hot DOC and DPF sitting in a boat, so again the DOC and DPF have to go.

Guess who that "Marine Use" statement refers to?

Wink

Recycling & Green Fuels Research: www.altfuelsgroup.org
Ozone Eating Toys For Big Boys !!: www.suncoastexotics.com
Carefully Maintaining A Carbon Neutral Footprint...

Location: Southeastern Ohio | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes A New Zealand company is currently the most popular software for GM diesel tuning. They also support Dodge, and many gas engine models too. They do not sell any kits to remove emissions components. Only a very versatile software that allows users to modify most parameters of a vehicle ECM however they see fit.

They have always placed a warning statement in the software related to changing emission parts of the factory tune. Basically says, it might be illegal to turn off this EGR or DPF setting, check local laws.. Since they are "NOT" a US based company, they could have just said piss off, we don't care what you do over there. Because what's illegal in one place on this globe might not be in another. Remember they only write software, not the custom tunes that remove stuff.

Even in the US it's completely legal to remove emissions related parts if the vehicle is never used upon public roads. IE: racing and truck pulls.. However the US EPA started snooping around and found that no one was policing this law, while owners were buying up these DPF delete kits with handheld tuners only to modify street vehicles. Since EPA stood little chance scaring those end users, they went after the manufactures instead. Threatening all the major US tuner manufacturing companies with legal action if they continued to allow this. So most just stopped producing any tuner with those capabilities, while EFIlive only modified their software for US customer. I'd personally just went with the piss off approach..

As for their Marine statement, laws there are completely different, no DPF is currently required on a marine engine. So why, since they're not obligated to stop producing their software, and there is a expanding "legal" market for it would they run and hide? It just so happens that their fist Duramax Marine customer was ME!! I use that software to modify my boat Duramax to be more efficient while running what else but BIODIESEL...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvd-w7lk1Eo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l0-n5le4HQ

So go figure, this seemingly useless software painted as only purpose was to skirt admissions laws is what's also used to tune the cleanest burning diesel powered watercraft in the world today. Which happens to be used to promote the best renewable fuel available today.

Smile

Location: Southeastern Ohio | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Please ask one of our Aussie members for further details about any specific legality parts, I'm not a citizen there, yet. Just the messenger passing along what I've heard, so here is their emission law as interpenetrated by an Australia company which specializes in "removing DPF units".

--
Regarding Emissions regulations:

What the “Environment Protection (vehicle emissions) Regulations” say is…. A person must not, without just cause , alter, replace or modify the engine or the exhaust system or fuel system of any motor vehicle in a way that – (a) departs from the manufacturer’s design: or (b) increases the rate of discharge of any of the constituent parts of emissions or (where applicable) defeats the intended upward discharge or dispersion of the emissions.

Your argument is that you have “just cause“ . The vehicle is not fit for it’s intended purpose with the DPF installed. Having to go for an otherwise completely unnecessary drive every couple of hundred kms to regenerate the filter, or worse having to take the car to a dealer to have a forced regen is totally unreasonable AND CREATES THE VERY EMISSIONS PEOPLE ARE TRYING TO AVOID. Worse still is going into limp mode in a remote location or driving with the caravan or boat up a big hill with a truck barrelling up the road could very well put you and your family in a life threatening situation.

See more on this at: http://www.chiptuning.com.au/dpf-removal-service/
---

As for the boat, I can only base my statement off work from leading scientist. Since it's engine was designed to satisfy modern 2005 diesel emission standards before the DPF era, and it's typically running on B100 fuel, by default it's emissions output should be much lower than 99.9% of all other diesel boats on the water today. Leaving it in a very small .1% club, with...

The worlds "cleanest" scientifically recognized diesel boat was MY Ady Gil by EarthRace. That boat circumnavigated the globe on B100 biodiesel to promote being carbon neutral, and was then sunk in a collision with a Japanese whaling ship some years ago. Since I currently don't know of any other modern powered B100 boats, thinking our clean diesel marine club is now super small..

http://www.earthraceworldrecord.com

So until someone shows me another diesel boat equipped with a cleaner burning diesel engine, running something cleaner than B100 for fuel, I'll stand behind that statement. It's a lonely club, and I'd gladly give up the title to anyone who puts forth the effort to better it.

-K

posted Hide Post
Ken, what do you mean by MY Ady Gil, please.

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
That was her name at time of sinking, not sure about the relevance of that "MY" part, but prior to that change and during the record attempts I believe she was just Earthrace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MY_Ady_Gil

She was an icon for going green in marine, used hemp composite materials in the hull, bio formulated lubricating fluids, besides running on B100. They actually contacted me prior to the second record attempt about sourcing biodiesel for the FLA stop. Really wish I would have taken the time to go check it out in person.

You guys must grow a lot of hemp in NZ to build a 75' boat from it?

posted Hide Post
I guess MY denotes Motor Yacht. You can bet there is a lot of the smokin' kind grown here, but not a lot of hemp which requires a licence. I did read that hemp can be used for hempcrete using lime http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hempcrete .

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I want to run B100 in my 2013 Ford F250 Superduty Power Stroke. Do I have to DPF delete and remove the DPF? Anything new on this? My truck is still under warranty.

Thanks.

2013 Ford F250 Superduty
6.7 PowerStroke
20" Maverick Chrome Wheels
35" Toyo Open Country MT's
4" BDS Suspension and lift
Fox Shocks
Ranch Hand Legend front Bumper with Rigid Industries 30" spot LED Bar
20" Rigid Industries spot LED Bar under rear bumper
RDS 60 gallon fuel/toolbox combo on gravity feed

Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: December 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by USMC:
I want to run B100 in my 2013 Ford F250 Superduty Power Stroke. Do I have to DPF delete and remove the DPF? Anything new on this? My truck is still under warranty.

Thanks.

Your truck is rated for B20 from the factory. I don't know how well they are doing on B100, if anyone is running it in them. Do a few searches for your model engine.

Removing the DPF is illegal if you live in the United States. What you make of that is up to you.

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
I'm around 15,000 miles in with my 2007 MB R320 CDI with a DPF. This whole time it's run on B100. I change the oil every 3000 miles. No issues thus far, so I'm going to say that my 2007 Newer ULSD Emission Vehicle DOES like biodiesel Smile

Kumar Plocher
Yokayo Biofuels
Yokayo Biofuels Facebook page
.........../ \..............
fueling / R \ evolution since 2001
'''''''''''''/____\'''''''''''''''''''

Sustainable Biodiesel...

Location: Ukiah, CA USA | Registered: September 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mercedes probably handles the DPF regen in a logical way, huh? At least a post-cylinder injector or something even better with nice, tight, computer monitoring. Smile

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kumar:
... 2007 MB R320 CDI ... I change the oil every 3000 miles.

Wow! What is that, three or five times more often than recommended? Have you had a lab test any of your oil to see what's in it or whether you could extend to a more normal interval for a modern engine? For instance, I run my Cummins 6.7 around 7500 miles between changes of Rotella, and lab reports suggest I could extend beyond that without any risk.

I have considered the E-class with the CDI for my wife, which I think was last made in 2006 before they went to the V6 engine. I'm not sure which years did or did not have DPFs on them -- that was right around the time they were rolling into standard production. I believe one of our members (Ken?) is running a modern CDI with a WVO conversion on it with considerable success? I last did that on the OM606 engine myself. That engine was a dream to drive, and incredibly easy to service!

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
I haven't begun making Biodiesel in a large quantity thus far. My concern was/is, post injection. I think I will either start at B20 and increase it in 10% increments per refill or just run a few B20's through it and just go to B100. I have a 60 gallon external tank so roughly that would be 80 gallons burned per fill. Currently on every oil change I send a sample of oil to a lab for analysis, every 5K miles.
I know that 2013 Ford F250 Superduty is post injection with no extra injector in the exhaust just before the DPF. I wonder if you could somehow install an injector in the exhaust, and then have a program in the computer that would activate a relay to switch from the original injector on the engine to the one installed in the exhaust when the computer thinks it's time to clean the exhaust?

Just my thoughts.

2013 Ford F250 Superduty
6.7 PowerStroke
Fox Shocks

2013 Ford F250 Superduty
6.7 PowerStroke
Fox Shocks

Location: Louisiana USA | Registered: December 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
meh, i'd run b100 in any diesel. i would keep an eye on the dipstick for signs of dilution. probably change oil every 5000 km, though i would go longer if it wasn't doing many regens. if a vehicle only regened when it needed it (pressure drop across dpf), then i suspect it would never regen if mostly highway driven. there was a video of a tdi with alot of b100 miles on it and it had only regened a few times.

posted Hide Post
andyman,

Do you have the link to the video?

2013 Ford F250 Superduty
6.7 PowerStroke
Fox Shocks

2013 Ford F250 Superduty
6.7 PowerStroke
Fox Shocks

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by USMC:
andyman,

Do you have the link to the video?

yes, i found it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVeu4qQITEY

less miles than i thought (34,000). three regens, so one every 10,000 miles. i don't think oil dilution is a concern there. again this is long steady state commuting.

posted Hide Post
Interesting video on the emissions systems on TDI diesels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgusjGRP3XQ

Wow! Talk about a bunch of emission systems!

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Replacement after market DPF from Alexander Noack at www.anc.me in Germany @ approx 800 euro $

I have no affiliation with him

He makes veg friendly conversions for many european cars

Check out his website ( click on flags at top of page for english version )

Cheers