Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home
Why 2007 & Newer ULSD Emission Vehicles Don't Like Biodiesel

This topic can be found at:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/419605551/m/2721003282

April 16, 2012, 04:56 AM
Marvinlvyuan
Why 2007 & Newer ULSD Emission Vehicles Don't Like Biodiesel
If you need hose/ tubing for biodiesel, you must use viton tubing, as common rubber can not handle bio fuel. To buy viton hose or tubing de viton, you can check this website: www.cnviton.com. they retail viton tubing, and the price is very good.
April 21, 2012, 09:07 PM
AustroTom
Is this an advertisement?

Thomas
April 22, 2012, 07:47 AM
Bunk
quote:
Originally posted by AustroTom:
Is this an advertisement?

Thomas

Does anyone actually buy stuff from spam messages? I personally refuse to do business with any company that resorts to this kind of advertising. I never click a link in a spam message because the target website knows the last website that you were on. It only encourages more spam messages.
May 10, 2012, 12:09 PM
kenth66
Instead of lowerig the. Boilingpoint , would it work if we raise the temperature of the b100?.
July 19, 2012, 03:19 AM
Kenr34
Since this thread was started many changes have came about from the auto industry. Most notably being B20 compatibility from the Big 3 U.S truck engine manufactures. Everyone is now using a version of the Bosch common rail fuel system. Great news, and it looks as if someone over there has done their homework too.

Small changes to the fuel system such as stainless steel high pressure fuel lines shows an understanding of biofuel properties and a commitment to stay biodiesel friendly. Great to see this achievement, but what was the hold up?

For those of us running heavy biodiesel blends in the "forbidden" early common rail system, it seems like there was never any issue. Maybe we didn't fully understand the tolerances involved and the conditions our fuel operates under, or just got lucky. What ever your thoughts, here is some data to ponder. The latest common rail setup can operate at nearly 30,000 psi fuel pressure, and the injectors can fire 7 or more times per injection cycle, on a single engine stroke. That's up from 24,000psi and 2 injection firings on our early models.

So to give credit where credit is due, here is a screen shot of a data logged on my 05 Duramax showing some average operating parameters in the fuel system. Circled on the right is fuel temp and fuel pressure in the rail under lite load conditions. After tolerating these condition for a few minutes, unused fuel is cooled and returned to the tank, and the process starts over.

That 160F fuel temp is my average, increase the load and fuel pressure, I've logged 175F in the rail. Oxidation upon return to the tank is defiantly possible, if your fuel is up to spec and survives the pump to injector trip without cooking off something first...

-Ken

Recycling & Green Fuels Research: www.altfuelsgroup.org
Ozone Eating Toys For Big Boys !!: www.suncoastexotics.com
Carefully Maintaining A Carbon Neutral Footprint...
September 11, 2012, 06:10 PM
Graydon Blair
2012 Duramax Update
- Had a buddy that bought a brand new 2012 Duramax about 3 months ago.
(Same guy that has had all the other Duramax pickups)
- Burned B100 in it from day 1
- Now has about 10,000 miles on it
- The truck is running great!

He did notice though that it will smoke white occasionally at idle. However if he steps on it a few seconds later it goes away. Only happens when burning B100 (he emptied the tank & stuck some Diesel in it & the smoke went away--added B100 back to the tank & it came back).

He took it into the dealer & they said there weren't any codes and surmised that it was a poor combustion issue (ie. some unburned fuel burning off?). Said he was good to go.

So I wonder if some of the Biodiesel being sprayed on the DPF may not be completely burning off (ie. white smoke) until you really gun the truck?

He said it hasn't impacted the performance of the truck at all and the oil levels have been fine.
I guess it's a question for our resident GM Expert, Joe. Any ideas on the smoke?

-Graydon

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!
January 24, 2013, 07:14 PM
Graydon Blair
If you're itchin' to buy a DPF Delete Kit....ya better do it now.
The EPA has ruled them illegal and is shutting down the manufacturers that even offer them.

More on that here:
http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2...ticulate-filter.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Graydon Blair,

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
January 25, 2013, 10:14 AM
Ryan P.
A DPF delete kit, you mean?
January 25, 2013, 10:20 AM
Ryan P.
And these products are clearly labelled by Edge as "Off-Road and Race Use Only". Edge should NOT be fined $500,000 for their customers installing in an unapproved manor.
January 25, 2013, 03:33 PM
Graydon Blair
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan P.:
A DPF delete kit, you mean?

Yep. My bad. Just corrected it

February 13, 2013, 02:32 PM
Nathan Robertson
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Eagle:
Remove DPF, gut it, replace. Reprogram to disable and be done with it. Any emissions test done on your vehicle while running B100 will come back with a pass anyway, so what's the big deal to be in full compliance ? Politics is all about appearing-to-do anyway. Merely MO.

I know a few here in the UK running newish vehicles with DPF's on B100, without any issues. I personally run a 2008 Mini Cooper D which uses EOLYS fluid to flush the DPF. There's no sign of the sump filling with bio between services. Even so as mentioned above, I'm having my dpf removed because it will increase power and mpg - no brainer really.

Vehicles after 2015 will have DPF testing so we'll be looking for a work around then. Question is do all U.S. states have the same annual safety and emission tests and do they currently test the DPF?
February 13, 2013, 03:03 PM
Ryan P.
quote:
do all U.S. states have the same annual safety and emission tests

Nope. Wisconsin has nothing for emissions or safety testing. Not one thing. You can put any engine in any vehicle in any configuration and operate on public roads as long as you meet 2 requirements, and those would only ever be checked if you REALLY pissed somebody off enough to look at your vehicle that closely for a violation.

1) Engine must be same year as vehicle, or newer.
2) All emissions equipment for that year must be retained.
March 16, 2013, 08:53 PM
Graydon Blair
Another update on my buddy's 2012 Duramax.
He's been running B100 in it on and off since he got it.
It still puffs white smoke randomly but usually just after you put it under hard throttle.

Dealer originally thought it was a bad catalytic converter. It was replaced & truck did a bit better, but still throws white puffs of smoke occasionally.

As far as we can gather, we think it's coming from the DPF when fuel is being sprayed on it but not sure. We're just coming into Spring in Utah from a really cold and long winter. We'll see if the summer months help any.

Other than the white puffs though, the truck is running flawlessly under Biodiesel.

April 14, 2013, 10:28 PM
billybob
Hey everyone I have a few drum lids for 55 gallon drums. I am selling them due to issues with my township. You can view them on eBay here http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...em&item=130890058676 they are brand new and are really nice. I can't use them anymore but I was using for my wvo collection. Thanks

Mosaic Biodiesel Enterprise is committed to powering the globe with earth and people friendly biodiesel...one gallon at a time.
November 26, 2013, 05:13 PM
Kzunell
Does DPF stand for Diminished Power and Fuel mileage?

1983 Toyota Diesel Longbed
2.4litter 2l-turbo
31mpg city/39mpg hiway
November 26, 2013, 10:35 PM
Kenr34
I believe that's the best definition I've seen so far...

With the recent US EPA crack down on DPF related mods, those who actually own a "pre-ban" tuner capable of writing it out of the PCM can now sell that on eBay for enough money to cover the cost of the lower fuel mileage.

Or just move to Australia, where it remains completely legal to rip it off and straight pipe it.

Big Grin

Recycling & Green Fuels Research: www.altfuelsgroup.org
Ozone Eating Toys For Big Boys !!: www.suncoastexotics.com
Carefully Maintaining A Carbon Neutral Footprint...
November 26, 2013, 10:37 PM
john galt
... or Canada.

November 27, 2013, 02:20 AM
john galt
quote:
Originally posted by Ronny:
"Completely legal"? I think you fellows need to do a little closer research.
john,
I see you live in Barrow Alaska. I was there about 15 years ago. Where do you get your oil?

Not sure about "Completely legal", they're only concerned in the big cities with pollution problems. In most places 10% opacity is good enough, if it's checked at all. Haven't been in Barrow for decades. Canada is colder; and a nicer place to live. I have long standing agreements with a few local restaurants. BD/VO is not popular here so the few of us that use it don't compete, we share enough for all.

November 27, 2013, 03:35 AM
john galt
quote:
Originally posted by Ronny:
Yes, there is a big difference between "completely legal" and "they do not usually bother to check"

I see, you live in coldest N America which includes Canada.
That means you must live in Yellow Knife, the coldest town in North America.

Not much real difference where the rubber meets the road up here. YK is close enough.

November 30, 2013, 02:19 AM
Simple Fuels
one of our customers has 86,000 miles on B99.9 on a 2009 CR jetta, no issues. DPF loading is exactly in line with what others with similar mileage report on tdiclub.

he does a lot of highway driving...