BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Why 2007 & Newer ULSD Emission Vehicles Don't Like Biodiesel
Page 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why 2007 & Newer ULSD Emission Vehicles Don't Like Biodiesel
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Seen at a Ford enthusiasts blog:

quote:
Ford uses an additional injection cycle during the exhaust event for the regens. I believe that only one bank of cylinders are involved however. GM uses the 9th injector in the exhaust. Dodge uses the same as the Ford but Dodge also cleans up the NOX emissions with the add'l injection cycle as well as a different EGR system. This results in higher exhaust temps and add'l fuel dilution. Ford and GM clean the NOX emissions up with urea so the regens are much less often and shorter in duration so the fuel dilution is potentially less...driving habits still impact the results to a degree. This is referring to light duty trucks.

That jives with the official material I've read. The "1-bank" thing, and the "urea" thing, combined with what is apparently pretty good measuring of the particle load before the computer orders a regen cycle, may combine to make this a safer biodiesel vehicle than others containing DPFs. We will be meticulous about documenting the oil level before each trip, and will probably be doing oil changes every 3000 miles or so, if not sooner than that. Each oil change costs us between 60-80 bucks, and we average about 300 miles a week, so this shouldn't cost us too much extra.

Kumar Plocher
Yokayo Biofuels
Yokayo Biofuels Facebook page
.........../ \..............
fueling / R \ evolution since 2001
'''''''''''''/____\'''''''''''''''''''

Sustainable Biodiesel...

Location: Ukiah, CA USA | Registered: September 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
I still don't understand why Ford didn't just fix the REAL problem & use a 9th injector....probably some bean counter at FORD said it'd cost to much is my guess.

Meanwhile, the Duramax can now officially kiss the oil dilution issue goodbye!
C'mon Ford & Dodge! Get with the program! Clean the DPF with a fuel injector OUTSIDE of the engine!

Just my $0.02 cents.

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This stuff is going to keep the prices of older diesels higher. Any truck that is "pre-post-injection" or "urea-free" is going to be in higher demand.

Or at least it will be by guys like me!

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Graydon and Ryan, I agree about the price effect on older trucks. Compare a Ford 7.3 to a Ford 6.0 and you'll laugh.

The other thing that's going to happen -- legal or not (and it's not) -- is that people will continue using flash tuners and straight pipes to delete their DPFs altogether. It's not hard to put in a new piece of exhaust pipe. From there, you can either feed the computer dummy data to prevent regeneration, or with many you can apparently just turn regen (post-injection) off altogether. Problem solved...except for the whole legal violation.

Texas has no exhaust inspection (not even visual, nevermind a sniffer) for diesel vehicles. I'm not sure how many other states are the same, but where no one is looking, plenty of people are going to use a delete kit to enjoy higher fuel mileage and better performance out of their diesel engines.

Cheers, John

posted Hide Post
dukegrad, I called a shop inquiring about DPF delete for my truck, and he recommended against it. Apparently, it's tricky business and not necessarily a good idea before the warranty is up. I view it as the solution if we're not able to easily run bio otherwise. It also bears noting that this particular "Ford expert" was convinced that the 6.7L does not have in-cylinder injection.

Kumar Plocher
Yokayo Biofuels

Sustainable Biodiesel...

Location: Ukiah, CA USA | Registered: September 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dukegrad98:
Texas has no exhaust inspection (not even visual, nevermind a sniffer) for diesel vehicles. I'm not sure how many other states are the same, but where no one is looking, plenty of people are going to use a delete kit to enjoy higher fuel mileage and better performance out of their diesel engines.

Cheers, John

Neither does Michigan. Smile

Blessings. Joe 1999 Chevy Suburban w/new optimizer 6500 TD and 1995 Chevy Cube van 6.5L. WWW.RillaBioFuels.com
WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

Location: Sterling Hts. Michigan USA | Registered: October 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Joe_M:
quote:
Originally posted by dukegrad98:

Cheers, John

Neither does Michigan. Smile

PA only has a visual check, not a sniffer. Although on my Mercedes I disabled the EGR and it just passed inspection, maybe they didn't lift up the hood

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kumar:
... It also bears noting that this particular "Ford expert" was convinced that the 6.7L does not have in-cylinder injection.

Really great tech there, eh? I bet he thinks Biodiesel is straight from the devil too. LOL!!!

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More

posted Hide Post
Man, I could only DREAM of not having tough diesel emissions.

Where I live they.....
1) Pull the VIN & see what stock equipment should be there
2) Lift the hood & look for the stock equipment to be there and then look for mods
3) Look under the vehicle & look for any more exhaust mods
4) Stick a probe up the tailpipe & test opacity levels at wide open throttle and at 50 mph
...#4 is done with the vehicle chained to a dyno and with the techs right foot on the throttle.

Fail any of these tests and you don't get your plates.

Also, where I live if you see a vehicle gushing smoke out the back you can call a 1-800# to report it to the county. If you get called on, you're forced to bring your vehicle in, have it retested (at a TOUGHER standard) and if you don't pass...they can pull your plates.

And you thought California was bad!!

Oh yeah, one last little tidbit. These tests can ONLY be done at the gub'ment run facility. Private auto shops are not allowed to run the tests. ONLY the county facility.

Our tax dollars at work, eh?

posted Hide Post
A lot has changed in ten years. Last time I was in Moab, there wasn't a stock Jeep to be had. Will they give me any trouble being an "out of stater"? There's only part of the frame and steering column that are 1979 vintage left in it.

posted Hide Post
Nah...Moab is way outside the main population center.
It's only Davis, Salt Lake, & Weber Counties where they're nazi's about vehicle emissions.

posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure it would be really hard to have an injector outside of the engine. Most if not all modern diesel engines have injectors that are for all practical issues driven by a camshaft. It would almost be like having a valve outside the engine you would need something to drive the valve.

Technically it would not have to be a supper high pressure injector but fuel injectors that can shoot diesel or biodiesel are very rare indead.

How about an HHO injector that sprays into the exhaust system instead of the intake so that it just cleans up the exhaust? Or something that cleans the DPF that is not fuel. I agree with everyone that thinks that cleaning particle filter with fuel is a really dumb idea.

Robert
In Fort Lauderdale running a 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD 2 veg tanks HOH 2 upgraded greasecar vavles 3/8 fuel line 5/8 heater line HOH Hose wrapped filter. Injector Line heater on the Common Rail. 2nd car 2005 Mercedes CDI, Raw Power fuel pump, 36 gallon veg tank in trunk coolant heated HOH, rubber hose wrapped fuel filter, FPHE, 3 greasecar valves, Common rail line heater.

Location: Ft Lauderdale, FL | Registered: June 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Passive DPFs seem to make much more sense.

Kumar Plocher
Yokayo Biofuels

Sustainable Biodiesel...

posted Hide Post
Isuzu Debuts Biodiesel-Compatible Van
http://domesticfuel.com/2011/0...esel-compatible-van/
John Davis – March 21st, 2011

Japan-based auto maker Isuzu has debuted a utility van that will be more compatible with higher blends of biodiesel.

This company press release says the new Reach will not only be green, but it will last a long time, too:

Powering the Reach is Isuzu’s state-of-the-art, biodiesel fuel compatible 4JJ1-TC 3.0-liter turbocharged engine generating 150 horsepower, mated to a Aisin medium-duty six-speed automatic transmission with double overdrive, lock-up torque converter and power take-off (PTO) function. In independent testing, this powertrain achieved a whopping 35 percent better mileage than traditional commercial vans. This impressive fuel economy does not come at the expense of long-term durability; the engine has class-leading B10 durability ratings of 310,000 miles, meaning that 90% will reach that mileage before requiring an overhaul…

Combining efficiency, performance and durability with clean-diesel technology, the Reach offers both low cost of ownership and environmental friendliness—the ideal combination for our times.

You can get the Reach in 10-, 12- and 14-foot versions.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
...biodiesel fuel compatible 4JJ1-TC 3.0-liter turbocharged engine generating 150 horsepower, mated to a Aisin medium-duty six-speed automatic transmission with double overdrive, lock-up torque converter and power take-off (PTO) function.

DUDE! I'm chubbin' a little bit...I want that in a 1/2 ton US pick-up truck...

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if the 2006.5 Jetta TDI can run on B100? According to another forum, "They're called 2006.5 because there was an emissions standard change for Jan 2007 so VW had a long production run of the 2006 to make up for the lack of model year 2007 cars." Does this mean that the 2007 emission standards is also effective on the special edition jetta's?

posted Hide Post
Assuming that the "2006.5" Jetta is the one that carries the '06 model year tag, but has the new styling, then I can tell you that my dad's been running his on B100 for years. No problems. Also, no DPF.

Kumar Plocher
Yokayo Biofuels

Sustainable Biodiesel...

posted Hide Post

Toyota Carina just like ours. An absolutely brilliant little 2 liter diesel, much better towing car than the same size gasoline, and stupendously economical, also available in turbo. Thanks to US EPA air standards, governments around the world are trying to wipe out vehicles like these.

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Better fuel economy = lower emissions. Better fuel economy plus biodiesel = dramatically lower emissions. This whole US strategy, which owes a lot to my home state of California, is totally missing the point. It pisses me off! And, by clogging these engines and emissions systems up with unnecessary electronics, it makes cars way less reliable as well.

Kumar Plocher
Yokayo Biofuels

Sustainable Biodiesel...

posted Hide Post
I'm a member of several old engine forums and a forum that is all about "listeroids" Indian clones of slow speed Lister CS diesel engines.
There are a lot of guys who use these engines to generate power, they will burn about anything that looks a little greasy. When they burn SVO or Bio there are practically no emissions.
Enter our benevolent and all knowing government, specifically the EPA, they have now banned the importation of these stationary engines because they don't meet the new emissions standards, I used to think anarchists were fringe element nut jobs, I'm starting to think they got the right idea.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post