BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Why 2007 & Newer ULSD Emission Vehicles Don't Like Biodiesel
Page 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 33

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why 2007 & Newer ULSD Emission Vehicles Don't Like Biodiesel
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Double D:
quote:
Originally posted by fabricator:
I'd be willing to bet diesel out paces vegoil by several orders of magnitude.

I could only guess the same. I currently consume about 30 gallons per week of fuel. I can't imagine eating enough deep fried foods in a week to account for 30 gallons of veg oil.

Ya know, collecting used oil has pretty much killed fried food for me, I walk in a Chinese place and I smell nothing but used oil.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustin:
So maybe I am going about this the wrong way? How much New Vegetable oil do we (USA) consume in a day, regardless of use? and how much Diesel do we (USA) Consume in a day?

In 2007 the US consumed 4,159,066,119 barrels [approx 175 billion gallons]of diesel, jet fuel and home heating oil, in 2008 that amount dropped to 3,815,827,774 barrels [approx 160 billion gallons]. Approximately 37% is motor diesel fuel.
http://www.eia.doe.gov/steo#US...Oil_And_Liquid_Fuels

In the United States, estimated annual production of vegetable oil for all uses is about 11 million tonnes (24 billion pounds)[3.1 billion gallons]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel

There are presently 171 biodiesel manufacturing plants that are actively marketing biodiesel. The annual production capacity from these plants is 2.24 billion gallons per year.
http://www.biodiesel.org/pdf_f...duction_Capacity.pdf

U.S. producers increased their biodiesel exports to more than 1.5 million tonnes [0.42 billion gallons] last year.

Approximately 1.3% of the diesel/jet/heating fuel use, or about 3.5% of the motor diesel.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
So maybe I am going about this the wrong way? How much New Vegetable oil do we (USA) consume in a day, regardless of use? and how much Diesel do we (USA) Consume in a day?

2007 estimates show U.S. restaurants generate about 25 billion gallons of waste cooking oil each week.

Divided by 7 that is 3571428571 Gallons per day if I started with the right amount of zeros..

Either way, if my facts are correct and Johns 160 billion gallons per year of diesel fuel is correct, then the math says we use a heck of a lot more cooking oil than diesel fuel in this country, by almost ten times.

One of us must be wrong... And are all now way off topic, how bout a new thread?

-Ken

Recycling & Green Fuels Research: www.altfuelsgroup.org
Ozone Eating Toys For Big Boys !!: www.suncoastexotics.com
Carefully Maintaining A Carbon Neutral Footprint...

Location: Southeastern Ohio | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
In the United States, estimated annual production of vegetable oil for all uses is...3.1 billion gallons

quote:
3,571,428,571 Gallons per day

Right there is the difference. Where did the 25 billion gallons per week come from? Its 3.1 billion gallons PER YEAR.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ya know, collecting used oil has pretty much killed fried food for me, I walk in a Chinese place and I smell nothing but used oil.

HA HA HA!!!! I have the same problem To. I can usually tell which restaurant cooks the most crud by whats at the bottom of the barrel. My favorite eatery has the most fat content then them all! So by the prodding of gwens parents I now Eat organic hippy food. LOL!!!

1999 F-250 Running B-50 and getting over 24 miles per Gallon. and getting +/- 380 ftlbs of torque from modifications HA HA HEH! OOH! RAH! Semper Fi!

Location: Redding | Registered: December 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenr34:

.. And are all now way off topic, how bout a new thread?

-Ken

HA HA HA!!! I understand we are off track. I just anted everyone to get a realistic view on how much VO is out there, and how much we consume. It is amazing on how much of the crop goes to feeding livestock and other products. if we take from one to make another for other purposes, it effects the whole. and then you take the percentage of VO and break it down and you will see how much Bio is actually made. I am still working on that Part number for you!

1999 F-250 Running B-50 and getting over 24 miles per Gallon. and getting +/- 380 ftlbs of torque from modifications HA HA HEH! OOH! RAH! Semper Fi!

Location: Redding | Registered: December 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenr34:
quote:

2007 estimates show U.S. restaurants generate about 25 billion gallons of waste cooking oil each week.

Divided by 7 that is 3571428571 Gallons per day if I started with the right amount of zeros..

Either way, if my facts are correct and Johns 160 billion gallons per year of diesel fuel is correct, then the math says we use a heck of a lot more cooking oil than diesel fuel in this country, by almost ten times.

One of us must be wrong... And are all now way off topic, how bout a new thread?

-Ken

Do you have a source for those numbers? They have to be way, way off, almost three point six billion gallons of waste vegoil a day? Nada.

Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
maybe million with an "m"

Location: Colorado | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't think so, the average mom and pop puts out 5-10 gallons a week, 6.5 million per day is still too much.

posted Hide Post
quote:

Bogus guessing, with no source to back it up.
The correct data is posted 8 messages ago.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
160b gallons of fuel
____________________= 57.600m gal is Diesel
36%
Approximate

57.600m Dies + 3.1b VO = 60.7b total gallons

3.1b VO
___________________ = 0.05107 = 5.10% Approx.
60.7b total gallons

Not allot of that is being used for Bio Diesel! I believe ruffly 1/4 is being used for Bio

posted Hide Post
OK that looked goofy it should have read 57.6b galllions

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
[QUOTE]

Bogus guessing, with no source to back it up.
The correct data is posted 8 messages ago.

I never said I agreed with the amount, but here is where it originated last year. I have yet to see any hard data confirm or deny this level.

http://news.bio-medicine.org/b...eb--21--2007-2660-4/

In a report scheduled for the April 9 issue of the ACS bimonthly journal Biotechnology Progress, Vishal Shah and colleagues estimate that restaurants in the United States generate about 25 billion gallons of waste cooking oil each week. The waste oil, marketed as "yellow grease," long has been used in animal feed, with researchers exploring new applications such as biodiesel fuel.

This link was also quoted in Science Daily.

The wikipedia article gave no HARD source for their estimate either... They quoted from>

^ Van Gerpen, John (2004 - 07). "Business Management for Biodiesel Producers, August 2002 - January 2004" (PDF). National Renewable Energy Laboratory. http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy04osti/36242.pdf. Retrieved on 2008-01-07.
--------------------------------------
Above article contains this data>>

Table 1-2. Total Annual Production of US Fats and Oils.
[from Pearl, G.G., “Animal Fat Potential for Bioenergy Use,” Bioenergy 2002, The Tenth Biennial
Bioenergy Conference, Boise, ID, Sept. 22-26, 2002.]
Vegetable Oil Production Animal Fats
(Billion pounds/yr) (Billion pounds/yr)
Soybean 18.340 Edible Tallow 1.625
Peanuts 0.220 Inedible tallow 3.859
Sunflower 1.000 Lard & Grease 1.306
Cottonseed 1.010 Yellow Grease 2.633
Corn 2.420 Poultry Fat 2.215
Others 0.669 Total Animal Fat 11.638
Total Veg. Oil 23.659
--------------------------------------------
All 2002 data, mine was at least from 2007. I suggest starting at the USDA site where they do quote the estimated annual U.S. production levels for each type of vegetable oil.

Add the all the totals, remove the exports, add the imports, convert to gallons and you should get a good idea of what is floating around at any one year.

So go fish Smile

-Ken

Location: Southeastern Ohio | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
In a report scheduled for the April 9 issue of the ACS bimonthly journal Biotechnology Progress, Vishal Shah and colleagues estimate that restaurants in the United States generate about 25 billion gallons of waste cooking oil each week. The waste oil, marketed as "yellow grease," long has been used in animal feed, with researchers exploring new applications such as biodiesel fuel.

That number is simply impossible to believe, that would be 3.5 billion gallons of waste VO a day, there is no way I can believe that.

posted Hide Post
Read this interesting paper, it contains much more realistic numbers, pay particular attention to the second paragraph of page five.

http://www.uiweb.uidaho.edu/bi...d/publication/02.pdf

posted Hide Post
Those numbers suggest 350,000,000 gallons of yellow grease per year or around 980,000 gallons a day.

posted Hide Post
I can't say that I disagree with the logic based estimates in the article posted by National Renewable Energy Laboratory, or your statement fabricator. To think we could use 10 times more cooking oil than diesel fuel in this country is a hard reach..

So in an attempt to validate this 25 billion gallons per week estimate, I looked up Dr. Vishal Shah.
http://www.dowling.edu/faculty/Shah/

And dropped him an Email asking if he could provide some details on how they came up with number. First guess says it is actually pounds, but that still puts WVO above diesel. So lets see what the good doctor has to say...

-Ken

posted Hide Post
Dr. Shah tried to contact me yesterday by phone, but I was out. So I'm trying to reach him again to go over his data.

posted Hide Post
Forget Dr. Shah. The 3 billion gallons per year figure is in the right ballpark. The higher numbers are bogus. I have many, many contacts in the rendering industry, and would bet my life on this.

Kumar Plocher
Yokayo Biofuels
Yokayo Biofuels Facebook page
.........../ \..............
fueling / R \ evolution since 2001
'''''''''''''/____\'''''''''''''''''''

Sustainable Biodiesel...

Location: Ukiah, CA USA | Registered: September 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Kumar do you know anybody at North State rendering?