BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Why 2007 & Newer ULSD Emission Vehicles Don't Like Biodiesel
Page 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 33

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why 2007 & Newer ULSD Emission Vehicles Don't Like Biodiesel
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
the problem is more political than technical.

That statement aplies to far, FAR too many areas of concern!

There was once I time, I think, maybe, I seem to recall, when politicians actually listened to scientists and engineers...instead of forcing it to be the other way around.

Could we have gotten to the moon with tight government oversight? I doubt it. By the time all the safety equipment and "pet pork projects" were added, no rocket could have lifted it.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by keelec:
Military trucks are supposed to be able to burn a mix of used motor oil and Diesel.

Anybody know if this is done regularly? Any negative consequences?

The 6.2L, later 6.5L engines used in CUCVs and hummers run JP8, which is a jet fuel that closely resembles kerosene. Though not officially sanctioned, common anecdotal talk from motorpools indicate that JP8 is too 'thin', and that adding some motor oil, preferably new, makes the IPs much more reliable.

The old deuce and a half can run reliably on most common fuels, including diesel, kerosene, jet fuel, heating oil, and even gasoline. When running on gasoline, 5% motor oil should be added.

Big(Bio)Bertha 1987 GMC Suburban V2500 6.2L V8 IDI J-code 3/4Ton 4x4 4in lift, cargo hauler.
Brunhilde 1985 Merc 300TD, commuter
1968 Caterpillar D4D 3304 bulldozer
1971 Waldon 4100 payloader
1981 IHI 30F crawler excavator
1995 Changfa 195 w/ ST 10kw genset

posted Hide Post
quote:
common anecdotal talk from motorpools indicate that JP8 is too 'thin', and that adding some motor oil, preferably new, makes the IPs much more reliable.

It's not that turbine fuels like JP-8 are 'too thin', but rather they have insufficient lubricity for motor fuel use, so yes it's common practice to add a quart of new motor oil per tankful of JP-8.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan P.:
quote:
the problem is more political than technical.

That statement aplies to far, FAR too many areas of concern!

There was once I time, I think, maybe, I seem to recall, when politicians actually listened to scientists and engineers...instead of forcing it to be the other way around.

Could we have gotten to the moon with tight government oversight? I doubt it. By the time all the safety equipment and "pet pork projects" were added, no rocket could have lifted it.

Great cartoon Ryan. There are some sensible sheeple out there.

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
quote:
common anecdotal talk from motorpools indicate that JP8 is too 'thin', and that adding some motor oil, preferably new, makes the IPs much more reliable.

It's not that turbine fuels like JP-8 are 'too thin', but rather they have insufficient lubricity for motor fuel use, so yes it's common practice to add a quart of new motor oil per tankful of JP-8.

Like I said I was not sure of other branches. The Marine Corps did not use this method. If they did I am sure it was also new motor oil not used. My opinion is not to put used motor Oil in your fuel system. Older vehicles maybe? Newer vehicles 90 and newer Not a chance.

1999 F-250 Running B-50 and getting over 24 miles per Gallon. and getting +/- 380 ftlbs of torque from modifications HA HA HEH! OOH! RAH! Semper Fi!

Location: Redding | Registered: December 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
Since there is an abundance of used vehicles which can run higher blends of Biodiesel without issues, why at this time is there any pressing need for more new vehicles. The only underrepresented niche in the used vehicle market is half ton and smaller diesel trucks. However I don't see any of the manufacturers moving to provide quality vehicles to fill that niche, even though they are available to the rest of the world. Perhaps the problem is more political than technical.

John your scaring me! We think to alike at times. Graydon Likes the new toys and just wants to be able to run bio through them without a prob. As we all do. It is more political. And the percentage of bio users is in the manufacturers minds not great enough yet to build vehicles to run greater percentages of bio which may or not be produced at home. And be able to warranty their vehicles. If you owned a car company, would you honer a warranty on a person using bad bio? Some people lack the integrity to admit their Bio practice is not sound. I will let you know right now, If I had a new vehicle I would not run my own bio in it.
It is good. However I want it to be better then diesel. I will find the right way to test and filter my bio, I use quite a few different methods. I try to be very stringent on my testing because I know these power plants. I have an Associates degree in science. and have worked in the field.

1999 F-250 Running B-50 and getting over 24 miles per Gallon. and getting +/- 380 ftlbs of torque from modifications HA HA HEH! OOH! RAH! Semper Fi!

Location: Redding | Registered: December 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
The A/S degree is in the field of Diesel technology

posted Hide Post
quote:
It is good. However I want it to be better then diesel. I will find the right way to test and filter my bio, I use quite a few different methods.

We're of like minds on that score. The best method I've found is to freeze BD then thaw it. Impurities which passed through a 10µ filter will coalesce and settle out as rust colored sediment, leaving dry, crystal clear BD. My '89 Toyota truck loves it. I'm running a B10 - B15 mix at temperatures down to zero F some mornings. Never had a single sign of any problems all winter long.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Man, I'd LOVE to have something in the Toyota Tacoma size that was a diesel that was somewhat newer.

In Utah, rust eats through everything & after about 15 years, you're lucky if they haven't rusted to smithereens....

My old 84 Isuzu was a great reliable truck, but the Utah Salt had it's way with it unfortunately.

I just sold my old 93 Accord & it fared pretty well. We now have a 2004 Yoda Sienna and a 2005 Yoda Tundra and love both of them....I wish Isuzu was still selling diesel engines in small trucks. When I went to replace the Isuzu I would've definitely considered one. That truck rocked! But, the Tundra will have to do for now...

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Graydon, still suffering from Toyhonsans disease, I see. Big Grin Be patient. Unfortunately the mini-max debut has been delayed due to the current economic crisis. Frown

Blessings. Joe 1999 Chevy Suburban w/new optimizer 6500 TD and 1995 Chevy Cube van 6.5L. WWW.RillaBioFuels.com
WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

Location: Sterling Hts. Michigan USA | Registered: October 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everyone I know with newer [post 2000] diesels, Ford, GM, D/C, all complain about how unreliable they get in the Canadian cold winters, and that's with straight diesel. The 'ol 'check engine' light comes on at its own whim. Some guys complain the truck spends more time in the shop than on the road. Most wish they'd kept their older pre 2000 trucks. Of course those are now scarce as hens teeth. Those that have them are keeping them since they know the newer stuff is crap. The general consensus is that the big3 got what they deserved for making the trucks more and more complex every year until they became as unreliable as old MS-DOS computers. Remember when crashes and BDOS errors were 'normal' everyday occurrences? Those who want reliable diesels import RHD 'civilian' versions of the 4L diesel mine trucks Toyota exports all over the world, directly from Japan. They're 15 years old but in better condition than most 5 year old N.American trucks. The Japanese don't drive them much and it's typical to find a 15 year old truck with less than 100,000 km. Lots of us are hoping that once the big3 go tits up that Toyota will then be allowed to bring their diesels directly into Canada through their dealerships. A lot of folks believe that this new emissions BS was cooked up just to block the efficient diesels from being imported. Lets face it, if new Toyota diesels are clean enough to run in underground mines then they're clean enough to run in cities. It's all just political BS protectionism to prop up a dieing obsolete industry.

posted Hide Post
quote:
It's all just political BS protectionism to prop up a dieing obsolete industry.

3 CHEERS !!!

I've found it best to follow a very simple rule when dealing with all things biodiesel and the big 3 warranty issues.

WHAT BIODIESEL!

My trucks have always rolled in the dealers door with a 1/4 tank of straight dino diesel, end of problem. I even sucked out the tank one time when I blew a turbo boot.

That said, my 04's warranty ran out last week. Didn't opt for the extra 100k miles for $2K since odds are they may not be around to service it. So I was thinking of taking the old powerstroke in for an oil change next week, smack full of B100... LOL

I don't plan on buying a NEW truck anytime soon, but if I do, I will probably follow this same rule for now. What they don't know can't hurt you..

-Ken

P.S. Anyone have a powerstroke shop service manual in PDF format?

Recycling & Green Fuels Research: www.altfuelsgroup.org
Ozone Eating Toys For Big Boys !!: www.suncoastexotics.com
Carefully Maintaining A Carbon Neutral Footprint...

Location: Southeastern Ohio | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
-Ken

P.S. Anyone have a powerstroke shop service manual in PDF format?[/QUOTE]

Power Strokes and the Navistar VT444E HUEI Injection power plants Are my specialty! What do you want to know? as far as a service book online good luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rustin,

posted Hide Post
GM announced today that they are suspending, indefinately, the Duramax HO project. (the 4.5L DOHC mini-max). Frown

Blessings. Joe 1999 Chevy Suburban w/new optimizer 6500 TD and 1995 Chevy Cube van 6.5L. WWW.RillaBioFuels.com
WWW.RillaBioFuels.com

Location: Sterling Hts. Michigan USA | Registered: October 18, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
GM announced today that they are suspending, indefinately, the Duramax HO project. (the 4.5L DOHC mini-max).

That's too bad. We really need some options for light duty diesel pick-ups. Not everyone that wants a diesel needs a heavy duty truck.

Hugh

posted Hide Post
Oh man....that sucks!
Well, I'll just have to keep my hopes up on the Toyota & Honda diesel power plants....

I think Honda's is a 3.5 liter V6 variant plus their 4 cylinder.

They were initially going to launch the 4 cylinder diesel in a civic and then the accord and then move up to the Odyssey and Pilot w/ the 3.5 V6.

I Toyota just asked the Japanese gov't for a loan (yes, even the mighty Toyota is hurting right now) and Honda just did the same so I kind of doubt we'll see much out of Toyota as far as diesels go for a while...

Kind of a bummer...
-Graydon

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More

posted Hide Post
quote:
I kind of doubt we'll see much out of Toyota as far as diesels go for a while...

Why not, they're making diesels for the rest of the world. The only thing preventing Toyota from putting their diesel in the Tacomas made in the US is BS politics. Write to your Congress Critters and ask for change to the silly protectionist import laws.

posted Hide Post
Last I'd read, they're concerned that they won't sell well here and they're now focusing their resources on hybrid's.

http://www.tundraheadquarters....a-diesel-light-duty/

To bring a diesel to the US again would mean a huge investment for them; similar to what it was to bring the full size Tundra here, however in some extents even more costly as they'd need to retrain all of the techs at Toyota dealers how to work on their new diesels; something many of the techs haven't ever done before.

I'm with you though, I'd love to see them bring it here, but given the economic situation they're holding off for a while. I can just hope that they don't take it as far as GM's mini Duramax & put it on indefinite hold.

I'd sure like to try one of the new yoda diesels out myself...

I think Honda will probably beat them to our shores though. They were planning to bring their new diesel here by the release of their 2010 models.

posted Hide Post
quote:
GM announced today that they are suspending, indefinately, the Duramax HO project. (the 4.5L DOHC mini-max).

Government Motors will be lucky if it is around by next quarter. They are going to need to suspend a whole lot more.

2004 Dodge 3500 Cummins - 2008 F-350 w/ DPF delete - Four Farm Tractors - Two Homes. All on B100

Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you really want something cool! buy a triumph motorcycle I think its called the Tiger. It is Diesel powered! Not sure if I am right on the name. Somebody will correct me on this forum