BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Why 2007 & Newer ULSD Emission Vehicles Don't Like Biodiesel
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 33

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why 2007 & Newer ULSD Emission Vehicles Don't Like Biodiesel
 Login/Join

posted Hide Post
Graydon, I've been out of touch for a couple of months and am trying to get back up to speed on this mess of "post-combustion burst of fuel into the cylinder. Let me put my 2 cents worth (or less into the fray). Aprox 20 to 25 years ago while driving for an "over the road" trucking outfit, I noticed in our maintainence shed that the oil that had just been removed from the oil pan was being poured back into my fuel tank. I asked why and was told with two 150 gal tanks on the truck the few gallons of engine oil would not hurt the engine and would be used up instead of pouring it out. I asked about the filter system and was informed that it would take care of any particles that the injectors did not need. Now my thoughts go along these lines. I drain my engine oil and put in in a mixture of biodiesel and petroleum diesel. Keep a watch on my filters going to the injector pump and run this mixture as fuel. Keep a watch on my engine oil and change it when it gets "contaminated" with biodiesel. Sure I will have to change my oil more often, however this procedure will help until someone comes up with another system. Thoughts and Ideas please.

posted Hide Post
quote:
In theory, algae can supply 100% of current transportation needs.

In theory we should be able to teleport.

If and when algae can supply 100% of or fuel needs then vehicles will need to use 100% BD, if we still need vehicles at that time in the far distant future.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by john galt:
quote:
In theory, algae can supply 100% of current transportation needs.

In theory we should be able to teleport.

If and when algae can supply 100% of or fuel needs then vehicles will need to use 100% BD, if we still need vehicles at that time in the far distant future.
No, there are no current theories for teleportation.

Location: Colorado | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dog Tired:
Graydon, I've been out of touch for a couple of months and am trying to get back up to speed on this mess of "post-combustion burst of fuel into the cylinder. Let me put my 2 cents worth (or less into the fray). Aprox 20 to 25 years ago while driving for an "over the road" trucking outfit, I noticed in our maintainence shed that the oil that had just been removed from the oil pan was being poured back into my fuel tank. I asked why and was told with two 150 gal tanks on the truck the few gallons of engine oil would not hurt the engine and would be used up instead of pouring it out. I asked about the filter system and was informed that it would take care of any particles that the injectors did not need. Now my thoughts go along these lines. I drain my engine oil and put in in a mixture of biodiesel and petroleum diesel. Keep a watch on my filters going to the injector pump and run this mixture as fuel. Keep a watch on my engine oil and change it when it gets "contaminated" with biodiesel. Sure I will have to change my oil more often, however this procedure will help until someone comes up with another system. Thoughts and Ideas please.

Cummins used to sell a filter and pump system for straining Used motor oil into the fuel system. I have found through my own tests it creates more soot and NoX levels And that you would need to strain through a filter better then 1 micron. If you actually able to see whats in the used motor oil, you would you would freak out! and wonder whats going on with your power plant! It's astounding on how many and how small the particles are going in your system It may work for you. as for me I would not put my fuel system through it. 2 thins that ruin Diesel power plants Water and Particles.

1999 F-250 Running B-50 and getting over 24 miles per Gallon. and getting +/- 380 ftlbs of torque from modifications HA HA HEH! OOH! RAH! Semper Fi!

Location: Redding | Registered: December 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I hope you guys understood that. Sorry for the typoes

1999 F-250 Running B-50 and getting over 24 miles per Gallon. and getting +/- 380 ftlbs of torque from modifications HA HA HEH! OOH! RAH! Semper Fi!

Location: Redding | Registered: December 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UFO:
quote:
It's economically and environmentally unsustainable to produce enough biodiesel to have more than a minor contribution to the amount of motor diesel fuel used. Why should they make engines capable of running more than B20 blends?

Maybe with today's techniques. In theory, algae can supply 100% of current transportation needs.

I agree with John. There is not enough food crop to supply Less then 5% of the fuel this country consumes. Green algae is a new viable alternative. I have even looked into the process of the system. And have found
1. Not Cost effective
2. No standards for processing
3. Very difficult Science involved (Not for the regular Home DIYS)
4. Not Cost effective. the process starts in the upwards of over $150,000 USD

posted Hide Post
For what it is worth. I posted some time ago that I removed my DPF and performed an engine tune. I thought it prudent to snap a picture of my MPG display. At highway speeds.

2004 Dodge 3500 Cummins - 2008 F-350 w/ DPF delete - Four Farm Tractors - Two Homes. All on B100

Image2008_6.4_MPG.jpg (44 Kb, 35 downloads)

Location: New Hampshire | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rustin:
quote:
quote:
It's economically and environmentally unsustainable to produce enough biodiesel to have more than a minor contribution to the amount of motor diesel fuel used. Why should they make engines capable of running more than B20 blends?

Maybe with today's techniques. In theory, algae can supply 100% of current transportation needs.

I agree with John. There is not enough food crop to supply Less then 5% of the fuel this country consumes. Green algae is a new viable alternative. I have even looked into the process of the system. And have found
1. Not Cost effective
2. No standards for processing
3. Very difficult Science involved (Not for the regular Home DIYS)
4. Not Cost effective. the process starts in the upwards of over $150,000 USD
Not yet. It's too bad this country has lost the vision for the future. Without that, we'd never have been to the moon or built this county's infrastructure out of the depression and WWII.

posted Hide Post
UFO Don't twist my words. I am agreeing with you on the green algae. It is just going to take time (10 yrs give or take) and as a former Marine This country has NOT LOST ITS VISION. You need to look at the Big Picture. regardless of DOOMS DAY theory and World Control.

posted Hide Post
We've had the technology to achieve energy independence, and solve all our energy problems, since the end of WW2. What's still missing is the leadership to provide focus and the public will to make it happen.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you really want to know some thing! Try learning about Gas to liquid technology. what is the one thing that the US has that the oil barons in the middle east can't match in OIL?

posted Hide Post
Yup, we could be running all our transportation and other energy needs on N.American oil and gas, while we build a more sustainable future on renewables. Of course that would require re-thinking the whole greed based profit-at-any-cost economic system that's dragged us down to the present impasse.

posted Hide Post
Military trucks are supposed to be able to burn a mix of used motor oil and Diesel.

Anybody know if this is done regularly? Any negative consequences?

-----

Obviously your fuel filter won't pick up significantly more particulates than the oil filter normally would, unless you have something special like a sub-micron Toilet Paper Filter.

Location: Oregon | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by keelec:
Military trucks are supposed to be able to burn a mix of used motor oil and Diesel.

-----

Obviously your fuel filter won't pick up significantly more particulates than the oil filter normally would, unless you have something special like a sub-micron Toilet Paper Filter.

On that subject. I do know that the Marines do not do that process. The other branches I am not sure what their policy on used motor oil being introduced into the fuel system.

posted Hide Post
quote:
We've had the technology to achieve energy independence, and solve all our energy problems, since the end of WW2. What's still missing is the leadership to provide focus and the public will to make it happen.
Leaders are elected by the people. Blaming the lack of leadership is a cop-out; we just need to hold them accountable. And for that, we must collectively regain our spirit and vision.

Rustin, I'm glad you have not lost your vision, and I certainly have not lost mine either, but collectively I fear we have. It can be regained, but we as a people may have to face more setbacks before we can more forward again.

posted Hide Post
quote:

-----

Don't those vehicles also use turbine engines?

posted Hide Post
quote:
What's still missing is the leadership to provide focus and the public will to make it happen.
quote:

Leaders are elected by the people. Blaming the lack of leadership is a cop-out

Voters are given a choice of politicians to vote for. Few politicians demonstrate leadership. Often the voting process is choosing the lesser evil among the group of candidates.

Note that the statement quoted places blame equally on the public and lack of leadership.

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

-----

Don't those vehicles also use turbine engines?

They use a verity of power plants. They only use turbines on the Tanks and larger equipment. they still use the VT903 in sum vehicles.

posted Hide Post
Whether foreign or domestic vehicles, the thing I'm after is a manufacturer that's willing to sell something that can run higher blends of Biodiesel without issues.

Yep. That's a challenge. Yep. I know there isn't really that big of an incentive to do it (for the reasons John laid out), but I'd still like to see it done. Even if it's for "green bragging rights", which I think would bring some great PR to the company that pulled it off...

I'm still hoping the new engines from Toyota & Honda that are yet to hit our shores have something up their sleeve...along with that cool new Duramax Joe_M mentioned here as well.

Now if the domestic automakers could all figure out how to get their collective butts in gear & build cars that people actually want and are willing to buy that you & I didn't have to subsidize with our tax money, that'd also be nice.

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!

Location: Utah | Registered: October 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since there is an abundance of used vehicles which can run higher blends of Biodiesel without issues, why at this time is there any pressing need for more new vehicles. The only underrepresented niche in the used vehicle market is half ton and smaller diesel trucks. However I don't see any of the manufacturers moving to provide quality vehicles to fill that niche, even though they are available to the rest of the world. Perhaps the problem is more political than technical.