Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home
Tips For Posting Pictures

This topic can be found at:
http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/419605551/m/2641022482

January 01, 2009, 06:46 PM
Graydon Blair
Tips For Posting Pictures
This is just a quick post on recommendations I have for posting pictures here at the Infopop Forum (or for any forum for that matter)....

1- Take pictures that are in focus
When shooting pictures, be sure that it's focused. Get the camera lens too close to that mason jar of Bio & it's going to come out as a big blurry blob of yellowish something or other.

Most cameras have auto-focus functions. Hold the shutter button down half-way, let it focus & then push it the rest of the way. Whoala! Your picture will be in focus!

2- Compose The Shot
When you take the picture, imagine in your mind what your goal is with the picture and shoot accordingly. Are you trying to show a valve? Separation of glycerin from Biodiesel? Well, then take the picture of that, not of the bottom, left hand corner of the valve or so far away that we can't get an idea of what you're trying to show (remember, you'll be resizing the photo later, so getting the subject of the shot the right distance from the lens is important).

3- Edit The Pictures After The Shot
While most digital cameras come with editing software, it usually sucks (sorry, it just does--and I've tried a lot of them). So, get some REAL software! A good photo editing package can allow you to lighten, darken, or just mess around with the picture to make it look better. Shoot at night? If the flash fires wrong it's going to look really dark, but by using some good editing tools, you can lighten the shot right back up. Anyway, you get the idea.

Here's some of my favorites...if you have others, share em!
Free Photo Editing Software!
Google Picasa 3
Link: http://picasa.google.com
If you want to go the "Free route", I really am liking Google's Picasa software. It's extremely powerful, has a great set of powerful, intuitive, simple to use editing tools (key word being SIMPLE), and will allow you to organize your pictures as well.

I have been incredibly impressed with Picasa and it's become my new "favorite" quick & dirty photo editor. The collage tool is really sweet and I absolutely love the simplicity of the editing tools (be sure to check out the tuning options, they're amazing!). Best of all, it's FREE!!!

Non-Free Editing Software
Adobe Photoshop Elements (PSE)
Link: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshopelwin/
I've been extremely impressed with Photoshop Elements. Like Picasa, you can import (directly from your camera), organize, edit, and upload all from PSE. I especially like the SAVE FOR WEB feature. It'll take a 4-5 MB file and drop it clear down to under 200 KB (that's a HUGE drop)! I use it all the time.

It's not free (runs about $70 to $139 depending on the version you buy), but does have quite a bit of power. It has quite a few more bells & whistles than the free Picasa and can do some amazing things like photo galleries & such.

This is the one I personally use to organize all of my Biodiesel related photos (well over 10,000 of them). For small editing jobs, I use PSE's Editor, but for the big stuff I pull out "the big guns".

Adobe Photoshop
Link: http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshop/
Not cheap, this software is the industry standard for commercial photo editing. It'll collect the oil, filter it, dewater it, make Biodiesel out of it, drain the glycerin, and wash & dry it...and do it in style (well, not really, but you get what I'm going after....) The software has endless possibilities.

I use this when I want to do high powered editing. The MSRP on it is pretty steep though ($699 for the latest version, I use CS3 & paid about $400 for a full retail copy). If you're really into photo editing, this might be for you, but, if you're like about 99% of the world, get Picasa or Photoshop Elements as they'll both do 99% of what you'd ever really want to do with your photos.

4- Resize The Picture For The Web
While your 10 mega pixel camera is great & all, it'll generate a HUGE file! Both in file size & file dimension. Upload that raw file from your camera right to the forum and it won't get looked at much (because none of us can look at a 2135 x 3080 image on a standard monitor all at once. All we'll see is the top, left-hand corner of the image. Even scrolling over the image can be difficult. So, it'll get ignored). So the secret? Pull the files from your camera into an editing program and resize them for the web.

Most software editing tools allow you to import pictures right from your camera and will give you the ability to resize them. I usually resize for a width no more than about 600 to 800 pixels for web forums. Any more than that & people end up having to scroll (which again means people won't bother looking at your picture).

My resize recommendations:
Pixels:
Height - No more than 1,000
Width - No more than 800
(ie. 600 width x 800 height is great!)

Also, don't go too small (below 200 wide or 200 tall) or else no one can see what you wanted to show.

5- Uploading The Image (Hosting The Image Somewhere Online)
While this forum has the ability to upload the photo (when making a new post, it's that link below where you type that say's Add Attachment?, and it's great & all, we'd really prefer it if you hosted that awesome picture somewhere else...).

Great sites for uploading photos for free include:
Flickr - http://www.flickr.com/
- Allows you to upload a picture really easily to their website
- Requires you to create an account
- You can link back to the picture

Photo Bucket - http://photobucket.com/
- Same as above but a little easier to navigate
- Each image actually has the actual code listed to post it to a forum.
For instance, I searched for Biodiesel on their site & this picture came up

Link to the photo: http://media.photobucket.com/image/biodiesel/monsterh5/...h/biodiesel.jpg?o=33

On the right hand side I highlighted the IMG Code - Forums & Bulletin Boards code, copied it, and pasted it into this post & when I saved the post, BAM! The picture showed up.

Here's what I copied...
[IMG]http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn105/monsterh5/Linh%20tinh/biodiesel.jpg[/IMG]  

Biodiesel Pictures - http://www.biodieselpictures.com
Personal shameless plug.
I created this site for anyone to post Biodiesel related pictures to for free. You have to create an account & then email me (graydonblair[at]yahoo[dot]com) with your login you created to get it activated (to avoid spam), but once it's activated, you can go in & post there and attach photos to posts.

You can then link those photos back to here....
(by the way, this works for ANY photo on the web...well, that hasn't been protected anyway)
If using FireFox
Right click and click on Copy Image Location

If using Internet Explorer
Right click & click on Properties.
You'll see the URL in the box that pops up. Highlight it with your mouse, right click & choose Copy

If using Safari or other web-browsers
Not sure....good luck!

(After your URL is copied)
Now, create a new post here, right click in the post and select Paste
It'll dump a URL into the post, like this:
http://biodieselpictures.com/files/2008_11_15_demos03_116.gif

Add [img] to the front of the URL and [/img] to the back and then save it.

Example:
[img]http://biodieselpictures.com/files/2008_11_15_demos03_116.gif[/img]

Then click the Post Now button and your picture will show up in your post.

There's also lots of other free online photo hosting companies out there, just do a google search & you'll find them.

6- Add A Description
Somewhere above or below the picture (ie. the photo code [IMG] urltoyourphoto [/IMG] ) add a description of what you're posting. Give specifics, it makes it more interesting and if you're asking a question about the picture you took, having a better description of what we're looking at is going to get you more responses.

7- Add A Descriptive Subject
In the Subject body of the post (you know, up where it says "Subject:" when you're making a post), add a description about what the post is about. You don't have to go overboard, but subject lines like, "Whats this?" isn't good enough. Something like "Picture Of My Biodiesel" or something that tells us what we're about to read will get more attention.

By the way, this tip goes for all posts....the more descriptive titles get read more.

So, there you have it....some basic tips for sharing all your great photos you've taken with the rest of us. See? And you thought this forum was just about biodiesel!

So now that you're all experts (well, ok, arm-chair experts), get out there, snap some pictures & come & share them with the group! (because you know you want to & now you know how!)

Enjoy & Happy New Year!
-Graydon

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Graydon Blair,

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
Utah Biodiesel Supply Blog - Tutorials, Articles, Pictures, & New Products!
Free Biodiesel Tutorial Videos - Learn to make Biodiesel through videos!
Utah Biodiesel Facebook Page - Stay up to date on all things Biodiesel!
January 01, 2009, 08:02 PM
welder
Great info Graydon!

This thread oughta be a sticky!!!

Maybe Shaun or The Trouts would do that for us?
January 01, 2009, 08:09 PM
Legal Eagle
quote:
This is just a quick post...

Waiting for the full length version ... Big Grin Good info Graydon, thanks.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

January 01, 2009, 09:56 PM
Graydon Blair
quote:
Originally posted by Legal Eagle:
Waiting for the full length version ... Big Grin Good info Graydon, thanks.

Heh heh heh.... Wink

Graydon
Long Winded Photo Teacher

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Graydon Blair,

Utah Biodiesel Supply - Biodiesel Supplies, Parts, Kits, Tutorials, Decals & More
January 01, 2009, 10:18 PM
bernyjb
Thanks a lot Graydon.
I agree with Welder: this thread would be a very useful sticky.
I can tell you, as far as I'm concerned, you couldn't have posted it at a better time. I don't have a camera, but I'm planning on borrowing one pretty soon, to post some pictures about a project I've been working on for the last few weeks.

quote:
Graydon
Long Winded Photo Teacher

Naaahhhh...! Really??? Big Grin

Thank you again.

"When you don't think what you say, you say what you think" Jacinto Benavente.

"Wars not make one great" Yoda.

"A pessimist is a well informed optimist"

WWVhaCwgSSdtIGEgZ2Vlay4gU08gV0hBVD8=
January 01, 2009, 10:24 PM
Graydon Blair
Glad you enjoyed it...
Biodiesel has really taught me a lot about photos, cameras, photo editing software, and posting pictures on the web.

I figured I'd save a few others out there the effort of having to "learn the hard way".

I have to say though I've really fallen in love with Picasa. Had I not already been using Photoshop Elements to organize my photos, I may have just stuck with Picassa. It's THAT good!

And hey, ya can't beat free Wink

Also, if you'd like to learn a lot more about taking photo's in general, I highly recommend this website.
Ken Rockwell's Photography site.
http://www.kenrockwell.com
I could literally spend days on his site...it has that much to offer.

I've learned so many cool tricks on that site!
I especially love his article on "How To Drive Your Camera". Great stuff!
(Hows that for a teaser? Seriously though, it's a great article!)

January 02, 2009, 04:56 AM
welder
quote:
I agree with Welder: this thread would be a very useful sticky.

I actually flagged Graydon' first post so I could ask Shean and/or The Trouts to make this thread into a sticky.

Maybe if other also request it, they will preserve it. After all, it really benefits everyone.
January 02, 2009, 08:22 PM
bernyjb
quote:
Maybe if other also request it, they will preserve it.

Great idea! I just did.

Sorry Graydon. Looks like you've been reported...twice! Wink

"When you don't think what you say, you say what you think" Jacinto Benavente.

"Wars not make one great" Yoda.

"A pessimist is a well informed optimist"

WWVhaCwgSSdtIGEgZ2Vlay4gU08gV0hBVD8=
January 03, 2009, 08:23 AM
producer
Graydon,

Great info'. Well presented.

Thanks for sharing.

ps: I agree with the others, this post should be made into a sticky.
January 03, 2009, 10:16 PM
welder
quote:
ps: I agree with the others, this post should be made into a sticky.

Why not flag Graydons' first post as though it were an offensive one, then request that it be made into a sticky?
December 24, 2009, 05:51 PM
rockhot
I have read the directions on how to post a photo but I have a question about the following line when it saids save it. How do you save it, before you post it.

Thanks

Add [img] to the front of the URL and [/img] to the back and then save it.
December 27, 2009, 09:34 PM
Graydon Blair
rockhot,
Sorry for the confusion.
That's referring to saving the post or hitting the Post Now button.

ie. to add the photo to a post, you'll copy the URL to the picture into your post.
Then, surround the URL with [img] and [/img]. There can't be any space between [img] and [/img]

For example [IMG] urltopicturegoeshere [/IMG], but remove the space before & after the url.

Then press the Post Now, which posts the thread to the forum.

December 28, 2009, 06:16 PM
rockhot
Thanks Graydon great feedback, I will give it another try.

Thanks
Rockhot
June 08, 2011, 01:31 PM
taralec
Thanks for that Graydon,I just need to injest it and follow it-lol
February 02, 2015, 04:13 AM
Distributowvo
WVO/UCO dewatered available here.more than 1,000 gallons in warehouse. pls contac : 9043516485