New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diesel
 Login/Join

posted
Hi all.
I know this is a bio forum, but I have a question regarding " normal " diesel. I have been offered 1000 ltrs from a trucking company. How ever he said it is two years old and probably " gone off " so they wont use it in their trucks. He does know that I make bio and was wondering whether I could " re-process " it and use it in my Hilux. So thats the question..Does normal diesel go "off" ? And would you trust it in your diesel motor?
Thanks
Cheers Terracan.

posted Hide Post
Hi Terracan,

Good to see you posting on the public portion of the forum again!

"Long Term Storage of Diesel
STORAGE LIFE

Under normal storage conditions diesel fuel can be expected to stay in a useable condition for:
•12 months or longer at an ambient of 20ºC.
•6-12 months at an ambient temperature higher than 30ºC.

As diesel gets older a fine sediment and gum forms in the diesel brought about by the reaction of diesel components with oxygen from the air.
The fine sediment and gum will block fuel filters, leading to fuel starvation and the engine stopping. Frequent filter changes are then required to keep the engine going. The gums and sediments do not burn in the engine very well and can lead to carbon and soot deposits on injectors and other combustion surfaces.

The expected life of a diesel fuel is indicated by the oxidation stability test ASTM D2274.
The test measures how much gum and sediment will be deposited after keeping the fuel at
95°C in the presence of oxygen for 16 hours. It roughly corresponds to one year storage at 25°C.
A result of less than 20mg/L of sediment and gum after the test is considered
acceptable for normal diesel
"

http://www.bp.com/content/dam/...m-storage-diesel.pdf

I would use it in my diesel mixed with biodiesel

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tilly. It's good to see someone posting on the forum. Smile So if I mix it 50/50 with my bio it should be ok?
Thanks again.

Cheers Terracan.

posted Hide Post
Hi terrican,

quote:
Originally posted by terracan:
Thanks Tilly. It's good to see someone posting on the forum. Smile
Yes, once DGS started dragging people onto the "super secret" PM forum so we could not check what he was telling people, things got a bit quiet on the public forum.

So is the Super Secret PM forum a bit quiet lately too?

quote:
So if I mix it 50/50 with my bio it should be ok?
Thanks again.

Cheers Terracan.
Try it and let us know what happens Wink

Location: ลึก ประเทศอินเดีย | Registered: March 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
As the article that Tilly copied states; over time diesel will sediment, therefore would it not by inference be OK to use the top part, well filtered, and mix that with biodiesel?? Be a nice find if so.

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, once DGS started dragging people onto the "super secret" PM forum so we could not check what he was telling people, things got a bit quiet on the public forum.

There was a good exchange there, 94 posts the last one Jan. 2015

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Nobody was 'dragged' to the PM forum. They went there because it was a no-tilly-troll zone. Tilly-the-Troll destroyed this forum by driving people away with his confrontational bickering attitude.

Location: coldest N.America | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well said john.

Location: YORK UK | Registered: April 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Biotom,

quote:
Originally posted by Biotom:
There was a good exchange there, 94 posts the last one Jan. 2015
Wow, the Super Secret PM forum had only 94 posts and has been dead for the best part of 2 years.
Not much happened there either. Wink

posted Hide Post
I ran about 35-40 gallons out of the bottom of an old farm diesel storage tank with no issues at all in my '95 Ram. I settled it in my wash tank overnight or so, drained off the bottom 1/2 gallon that had some grit and moisture, then "processed" it through all my normal filters I would run my washed biodiesel through. Then I put the next 35gal or so batch of finished biodiesel into it before filling my tuck from the roughly 50/50 mix.

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Maybe this question can be answered while we are at it; would the solvent properties of biodiesel have a positive impact or any impact on the polymerization of diesel fuel and make the gum less likely to be a problem ?

** Biodiesel Glycerine Soap - The Guide
- on 5 continents helping people make & sell soap from the Biodiesel Glycerine.

Location: :-) Great White North eh ? | Registered: December 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post