Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

KOH???
 Login/Join

posted
I rereacted a batch of oil from last fall that did not pass the 3/27 test. It titrated a 1 and I mixed KOH to the recipe. 17% metanol. It passed the 3/27 test, but now there is a skin of a clear flaky substance when it sits overnight. I can take a small broom,lightly touch this stuff and it will stick to the broom.Two days in a row that I have removed it.
Is this unreacted KOH? Or what is it? Safe to put in engine when I tower drywash? Or will water wash be better?

Redboer

posted Hide Post
I get that all the time. You remove it and it forms again. It only happens with unwashed BD though. I believe it is an oxidation product/rxn. After I water wash it, it goes away and does not form again. It always happens when I do an acid rxn first. Only happens after the base esterification and only on unwashed BD. But some in a jar and wash it a few times. You will hopefully not see it post wash! J

02 duramax, bio since 04/08

Location: St Pete Florida | Registered: December 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Redboer
-this is common as Hootep says on unwashed biodiesel, I find it even more so on biodiesel reacted with NaoH, I always concedered it to be soap scum. Tom

" I don't know what I don't know until I know"
1994 GMC 6.5 Tubo 2005 Dodge ram 3500, 3 VW's 2000, 2002, 2005.

Location: Manitoba Canada | Registered: March 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post