BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    www.make-biodiesel.org
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

www.make-biodiesel.org
 Login/Join

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Just Posted an article on reprocessing bad batches.

http://www.make-biodiesel.org/reprocessing/

Since this thread was opened, we've changed the appearance of the site and added several articles. I still have 6 more articles in various stages of completion pending, and I'm still open for suggestions.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't think it was very clear what you are suggesting to handle "Barely Biodiesel": just mixing it into later batches a little at a time?

Wouldn't, or couldn't, you use the same procedure "as shown at the end of the "Almost ASTM" paragraph"?

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really like the site, and have picked up some great info from it.

Possible suggestion could be a write up on the waste products?
Water waste, how bad is it, what to do with it.
glycerine possibilities.

Also that one should pre plan what they are going to do with there waste before starting up their own biodiesel shop..

posted Hide Post
quote:
Also that one should pre plan what they are going to do with there waste before starting up their own biodiesel shop..

Aww...come on! Who is that organized!? I'm been making fuel for 3 years and I'm still not 100% sure what I am going to do with the glycerin! Nearing 250 gallons stored up now...some demeth'ed...some not...

Location: Southern WI, USA | Registered: May 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ha true. I have to admit I didn't plan it. I should have said, its something worth considering before going all in. Or something to think about.

Another thing, in the biodiesel quality section under 3/27 on the very last line
'My Opinion - An Exelecent test for conversion'

Is that meant to be excellent? think its a typo, or a word/slang im not familiar with.

2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan P.:
I didn't think it was very clear what you are suggesting to handle "Barely Biodiesel": just mixing it into later batches a little at a time?

Wouldn't, or couldn't, you use the same procedure "as shown at the end of the "Almost ASTM" paragraph"?

The first option would be, to ask the question, "Can I burn it without reprocessing?" The next option would be blending. I've not seen barely biodiesel reprocessed successfully into ASTM fuel using a single recipe. If the brewer was shooting for ASTM and got barely biodiesel, then he made some pretty big mistakes. The root cause would establish the reprocess recipe. For instance if the water content of the WVO was too high, then then you reprocess one way, if you short the recipe for methanol or lye, then you reprocess another way. Problem is that beginners rarely are able to figure out the root cause of the problem.

Location: Cowboy Country | Registered: December 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
Your site looks great Rick.. Havent seen you much lately..

Lisa 2006 Ford F250 6.0L Powerstroke with 12 inch lift

Location: TX | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
Not much free time these days. I moved to Plano and I'm still getting settled in.

posted Hide Post
quote:
the w-h-w test is very qualitative

By qualitative, I take it you mean quantitative. It's a definitional thing. Qualitative testing implies that it will only tell you, pass/fail or good/bad. In contrast, quantitative testing will tell you an actual number. Of course, once you know the actual number, you learn exactly how good or bad your water content is. So, quantitative trumps qualitative testing in most cases.

I say this without taking anything at all away from your point that good water testing is a make or break part of the process. Both in evaluating how wet your feedstock is, and in evaluating how dry your finished fuel is. Almost all of the experienced bio homebrewers agree that water is a big deal, and often overlooked by the newbie. Can't have too much emphasis on that IMHO.

Rick, your website continues to develop and mature. Go kick JTF but.

Finest regards,

troy

ps, I hate moving with a passion. My condolences.

Location: north america somewhere close to the midwest, or not | Registered: May 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Again Im not sure if this is on the site and I have missed it.. but might be important to mention material compatibility under the 'building your own reactor' sections. Things like piping, reactor, fittings, seals/gaskets, immersion heater materials..

Also materials for storage, and perhaps some stuff on engine part compatibility.

Just a thought as Ive found myself researching this on the internet quite a few times when tinkering with my processor.

posted Hide Post
Hi Rick,
Just visited your site again and noticed the drop down menu on the left (main page) is partially hidded on some selections by the HPT video. Other than that it looks good. Smile

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Double D:
Hi Rick,
Just visited your site again and noticed the drop down menu on the left (main page) is partially hidded on some selections by the HPT video. Other than that it looks good. Smile

I found a cure for this. Can you help me identify which pages are having this problem?

posted Hide Post
looks like all is well.

Location: central virginia | Registered: March 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I go there when I 2nd guess myself Smile

Good job!

Bax

Ci siamo persi!
Not lost now!
Getting to where I need to be!

Location: SC | Registered: November 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm no expert by any means. I just passed the 800 gallon mark and I am still learning.
Rick, the site looks great and is bookmarked for future reference.
Thanks for all the work you put into it as I am sure I will utilize the info.
Tim

posted Hide Post
Rick, one small suggestion. On the single stage recipe, it calls for KOH/NaOH to be mixed with methanol, and then once this is done, the methanol should be mixed with the heated oil I might suggest changing that term to "methoxide" for clarity's sake.

Location: altadena, CA | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
jowarge,

I'm reluctant to use the term 'methoxide' since we really don't use methoxide. We use NaOH or KOH dissolved in methanol. You are correct that the article can stand editing for clarity. I'll work on it this weekend.

Rick

posted Hide Post
I agree with Rick. It's well established that mixing methanol with alkali does not create "methoxide" even though most people think it does.

Location: New Zealand | Registered: August 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
some might find this off topic of the last couple of posts..

yes methanol mix with a caustic is not methoxide..

but is methanol mixed with an acid?
call me dumbfounded..but is there a name?
I should know this.. Roll Eyes

-dkenny

'84 bluebird school bus, DD8.2L turbo( 4/2011, the bus tranny has died..Frown 8.23.11 bus driven to scrap yard Frown )
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Smile - the wife's
99 dodge 2500 5.9l 24v..-mine Smile
everything run B100 when its warm enough Smile

Location: RTP, North Carolina | Registered: December 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2013 Sponsor
posted Hide Post
I would call it a solution of methanol and (whatever)acid.