BIODIESEL & SVO DISCUSSION FORUMS

Sponsors    Biodiesel and SVO Forums Home    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Biodiesel  Hop To Forums  General Biodiesel Discussion    Cold filter = less output

Moderators: Shaun, The Trouts
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cold filter = less output
 Login/Join

posted
History: I have been making Bio for about 2 years now. I get my oil from the same 4 places that use it to cook chicken wings, fries, and fish. my trirate test usually varies from .5 to 1.0, occasionally 1.5 if they burnt something. I have been cold filtering to 200mics, then heating to 225 to cook off any water, and filtering to 100mics. I put 70 liters of oil and 14 liters of methanol/lye in the processor. My end product after mist washing normally gives me about 14 gallons of bio.

Processing this way has forced me to drain my fuel tank about every 9 months to clean the in-tank screen,because if gets clogged with goo.

Now: Over the last month I have been truly cold filtering (below 60 degrees)to 100mics. I'm on my second batch doing it this way. I filtered out about 1 gallon of chicken fat for each batch. They both trirated to 1.5. For both batches, the first wash came out looking like milk there was so much soap. The first batch was a little less than normal but not by much, maybe a gallon. This second batch (although it's not completely finished yet)is showing a dramatically lower output. After draining the second wash/rest I'm looking at a final output is going to be about 10 gallons.

I do not know the normal output in liters as I just fill my 5 gallon jugs and put it in the tank.

Is this a normal output for de-fatted oil?

Shannon
81'Merc 300D (B100)
99 Dodge Ram 2500 (Cummins) (WMO/Bio)

Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: January 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
2014 Sponsor

posted Hide Post
Please describe your process in detail using metric measurements.

How much lye? How much methanol? processing temp and time?
What kind of lye? Titration numbers?

How much water in the batch?

www.MurphysMachines.Com
The best Do-it-Yourself Construction Plans on the Internet!
Waste Oil Heating - Biodiesel Systems
Biodiesel Pumps Made In The USA